Author Topic: Pointless Stiles, Gates and Finger Posts or Unusual / Interesting Landmarks  (Read 36949 times)

staggerindragon

I thought of this old thread this summer . . .

Image may contain: plant, tree, grass, sky, cloud, table, outdoor and nature

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Where there's a will ...

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
This one doesn't appear to be doing much.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
There's precise, if confusing

And then there's less precise

Solvitur Ambulando

pleb

• Veteran Member
^^^BRILLIANT  ;D ;D ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

JerryW

Half of all stiles, or more, are unnecessary since they only have a value if animals are or may be in one of the fields.
But what REALLY gets my goat is barbed wire.
For animal husbandry barbed wire is completely unnecessary. They don't climb fences. No, barbed wire has one purpose and one purpose only, and that is to deter humans.
When I am in charge (don't hold breath) barbed wire will be illegal. Meantime, it should at least be banned on all access land.
I love the outdoors, and will be out there, while I can :-)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Half of all stiles, or more, are unnecessary since they only have a value if animals are or may be in one of the fields.
But what REALLY gets my goat is barbed wire.
For animal husbandry barbed wire is completely unnecessary. They don't climb fences. No, barbed wire has one purpose and one purpose only, and that is to deter humans.
When I am in charge (don't hold breath) barbed wire will be illegal. Meantime, it should at least be banned on all access land.
  Barbed wire was developed originally as a cattle proof fence.  Relatively cheap and you only needed 3 strands.  It stopped cows scratching themselves on the fence and knocking it over.  Even has its own museum https://www.rushcounty.org/barbedwiremuseum/  It's on my bucket list ( about 5093 on that list)
Solvitur Ambulando

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Even has its own museum https://www.rushcounty.org/barbedwiremuseum/

They have to be kidding me  :o. They even have a section on collecting, one wonders how they exhibit their prize pieces at home.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
1 strand of barbed wire is the norm, for a good stock fence as the top strand for the reason pointed out by Ninethace. Other strands are only necessary if the livestock are likely to push their heads through a gap. But there are plenty of signs in fencing that are pointedly anti-visitor.

Barbed wire wrapped on a top rail of a locked 5 bar gate, almost certainly human deterrent. One rarely sees a gap near the hanging end of the gate, which might indicate an understanding that countryside visitors might be using the gateway.
A pile of rusty barbed wire loosely discarded on the outerside of a fence is another indicator.

I once visited a disputed path on the morning of the Public Inquiry. There was another person inspecting it and the fence that was in position, where a gate should be. I help him over the fence, top strand barbed, then plain high tensile and pig netting, fairly standard all purpose fence. However it was booby trapped, the staple that should have been the middle staple for the netting was one stand lower. This means that when someone climbs over, the netting will swing out when they are astride the fence and risk tearing trousers or even castration.
Something made me hold back pointing this out, it was just as well as that person was the Inspector for the Public Inquiry. If I had voiced my suspicions I might have jeopardized his impartiality for the inquiry, as it was he bought our chance meeting to the attention of those attending.
The PI was successful in favour of the route being a new or recovered Right of Way.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

GnP

• Veteran Member

On my walk along the Combrook valley today..It reminded me of a stile in Wales that my friend clambered over with a struggle as it was a high one...I was about to do the same, until I noticed a gap one side...I promptly walked round it. ;)

I returned to my car today around 2pm and sat in it where upon it started to pour down...I was glad about the timing as I had lost my fleece which had been strapped to my ruck sack...it was over 20 years old..about time for its demise I suppose.  :o

« Last Edit: 09:56:38, 11/10/19 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Animals in fields? :o

File alongside “trees in woods”. An absolute menace.

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

pleb

• Veteran Member

On my walk along the Combrook valley today..It reminded me of a stile in Wales that my friend clambered over with a struggle as it was a high one...I was about to do the same, until I noticed a gap one side...I promptly walked round it. ;)

I returned to my car today around 2pm and sat in it where upon it started to pour down...I was glad about the timing as I had lost my fleece which had been strapped to my ruck sack...it was over 20 years old..about time for its demise I suppose.  :o
Spendthrift! ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

GnP

• Veteran Member
Spendthrift! ;D
Waste not...want not.. :) It was a great fleece double walled..strong zips..I bought it at a services on the M6 one winter when I forgot my usual coat, thinking to myself, this is dear and probably will not last long...
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

fernman

• Veteran Member
Waste not...want not.. :) It was a great fleece double walled..strong zips..I bought it at a services on the M6 one winter when I forgot my usual coat, thinking to myself, this is dear and probably will not last long...

I'd have gone back for it  :)
I once retraced my footsteps for some way back down Moel Edno to search for and find my fleece hat that I'd dropped. I've also walked halfway back round a Chilterns walk to find my camera lens, but top of the list, which I think I've told on here a long time ago, was returning to Hampstead Heath the day after I left a x10 handlens behind, and it was still there, busy place though it is.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy