Author Topic: Bear Grylls - Survival stud ;-)  (Read 1458 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Bear Grylls - Survival stud ;-)
« on: 19:47:56, 08/08/07 »
As some of you may be aware Mr Grylls reputation for staying out all night under the hotel roof, ermm stars and fording artic ice flows to surface near a naturally occurring flaming camp fire has been qeustioned recently.

Not that I'd spill his pint ofcourse.

With this in mind an American (who's 'british' accent is comedic enough) has done a few parodies called Survival Stud.

1 and 4 made me laugh in particular. Part 1 is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4zTA13W1vU&mode=related&search=

There should be links to the other parts on the same page.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
Re: Bear Grylls - Survival stud ;-)
« Reply #1 on: 16:41:34, 09/08/07 »
Cheers for that Dazza, they were pretty good.

I wonder how Grylls is going to bounce back from this criticism; afterall Born Survivor was a big success wasn't it.  I mean, what would Ray Mears do if his integrity was questioned?

I enjoyed Born Survivor and was pretty disappointed when I heard the charges against him; but there again with anything like what he was doing, there were bound to be times when he relied on the 'crew' to help him out. Ch.4 said that it was never suggested that Grylls was making a solo-effort, but you have to admit that is how it was protrayed.  :(

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:35:07, 09/08/07 »
I think it's the perception the TV companies give that's half the problem.

Anyone with sense realises that no, the production company doesn't want their presenter to peg it half way through so assistance will be given. I do think that he does do the majority of it, but the director and producer plays on the one man against nature angle.

A bit like GRJ in mountain, it's obvious he has some help (camera crew are around for one thing) but I also think he did put the effort in and do what he set out to do (i.e. walk up a mountain or three).

Certain realities of TV crop up in both programs though. I know what I'm like after climing a steep hill, you wouldn't want it on TV ;)
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:49:13, 09/08/07 »
Hm, good point, well made.

With Born Survivor - not so much with Mountain - there should be no attempt to hide the camera crew.  I seem to recall that he does make reference to them, like asking them to move out the way as he bites the head off a snake or something, but then he'll leap down a canyon wall and go skipping over the rocks like an excited rabbit. What are the crew doing then?  This is what I like about Michael Palin's travels, he actively enrolls the crew. You know it's all of them and not just him alone.

Still, I'm interested to see what Grylls does next. I have a couple of his books, and he seems like the type to be off on another mad adventure, so maybe he'll just publish another and lay low for a bit.   :(

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:53:42, 09/08/07 »
Stuff em I say, ex SAS I'm sure he's done quite a bit more than you're average tabloid hack.

So he should take the knocks and just get on with it.
Dazza
--------

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy