Author Topic: TR - Red Screes  (Read 2618 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Red Screes
« Reply #15 on: 07:31:10, 26/03/20 »
Thanks Ridge, Karl, Dovegirl, pdstsp, April, Tracey. So glad that I managed to get a good walk in on the fells before the lockdown. Hampsfell and Eggerslack Woods for me for the next few months I suspect - not grumbling as it will be a lot worse for those of you living in cities.  :o

Lovely pics from a great round Richard O0
Although I hadn't climbed it after doing Red Screes I thought the path up the Kirkstone Pass was very clever in that it obviously gets you to the same height as the road it never seems as steep as the road ;)

It was a short round - less than 4 miles when measured on Viewranger. But a tough little walk!

And yes, that path running parallel to the Kirkstone Pass Road was surprisingly painless - the first part seems to follow the course of an old packhorse trail, worn quite deeply into the hillside in places, then it gets a little scrappy for a short while, running just the other side of the wall from the road, but improves again higher up, once past the car park half way up the pass. The Kirk Stone is impressive, and the going is easy from there.

Great pics Richard - more additions to the Red Screes appreciation society  ;D

Pity that Mel took it so badly  ;)   ;D

Great report Richard  O0

That Middle Dodd descent is on the banned list by the way  ;)

I had a sneaking suspicion that it might be! It is also on my son's banned list, but I didn't find it too bad - but then I wasn't carrying a heavy pack!
« Last Edit: 07:36:32, 26/03/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 08:25:00, 26/03/20 »
It is also on my son's banned list, but I didn't find it too bad - but then I wasn't carrying a heavy pack!
Give the lad a break, he's only 13 you should at least be carrying your fair share.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:40:36, 26/03/20 »
Give the lad a break, he's only 13 you should at least be carrying your fair share.

I was referring to April's heavy pack. Could have worded that better, I suppose! :D

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:13:11, 26/03/20 »
Could have worded that better, I suppose! :D
Or i could have not deliberately misunderstood you.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 15:35:02, 26/03/20 »
Or i could have not deliberately misunderstood you.

;)  I had my suspicions!

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 21:49:43, 28/03/20 »
So many stunning pics, you really had a fine day for it - little frustrating as it's one of the routes I was planning to do over the next week or two, but it's going to have to sit on the back burner a while.  The rocky outcrops on the way up from Kirkstone seem particularly characterful.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 12:14:35, 30/03/20 »
So many stunning pics, you really had a fine day for it - little frustrating as it's one of the routes I was planning to do over the next week or two, but it's going to have to sit on the back burner a while.  The rocky outcrops on the way up from Kirkstone seem particularly characterful.

Thank you  :) . Frustrating to be on lockdown, but the hills wills till be there. And I suspect that we will be really raring to go when we are finally let loose!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy