Author Topic: Ticks  (Read 3469 times)

Toxicbunny

Ticks
« on: 10:20:55, 17/06/20 »
This year by far has been the worst I've seen for ticks on North Yorkshire moors. I spray myself with a tick repellent. Both dogs fur were covered in them. My dogs are treated with a tick treatment so I flick them off their fur. I got 15 ticks of one dog 8 ticks off the other. It was just as bad the night before. I was over the moors walking in kildale area.  I've never seen as many of the disgusting little suckers.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Ticks
« Reply #1 on: 13:05:17, 17/06/20 »
I was listening to R4 yesterday morning and one woman described how it took numerous doctors to finally realise that she was suffering from Lyme's Disease. We have been warned about this tick many times down here in the south, so I never wear shorts anymore or short-sleeved clothing when I'm out and about in my area.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #2 on: 13:35:03, 17/06/20 »
I have a spray called Trex its deet free. I spray myself and legs. I'm shocked at the amount of ticks this year. Luckily I've had no bites. The dogs were covered.  I used a prescription based tick and flea tablet for them as frontline tick I found does not work.  This year it seems rife. I've been in different parts of the moors three times in last week and it's not down to one particular area just all areas.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:54:31, 17/06/20 »
I was listening to R4 yesterday morning and one woman described how it took numerous doctors to finally realise that she was suffering from Lyme's Disease. We have been warned about this tick many times down here in the south, so I never wear shorts anymore or short-sleeved clothing when I'm out and about in my area.

I heard that broadcast too. It was horrifying - her symptoms were horrendous. 14 doctors and several consultants did not think to test her for Lymes despite her son being recently diagnosed and treated. He'd had the classic bulls-eye rash, though she didn't.
Eventually, she paid to be tested in Germany then had treatment in USA - to quote 'luckily I could afford to pay' !!

I'm not sure how effective long trousers and sleeves are in avoiding ticks - they are, after all, designed to catch onto animal fur which our clothing mimics to a degree.
An all over wax and naked rambling might be the way to go :)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Apache

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: 16:26:57, 17/06/20 »
I have a spray called Trex its deet free

Do you mean Trek by Pyramid? And if so, is it any good?

Toxicbunny

« Reply #5 on: 16:53:12, 17/06/20 »

Do you mean Trek by Pyramid? And if so, is it any good?
Sorry for repost I cant delete my phone or internet playing up
Yes its called Trek my mistake.  It works for ok for me. I've never been bit

GoneWest

« Reply #6 on: 17:05:05, 17/06/20 »

I heard that broadcast too. It was horrifying - her symptoms were horrendous. 14 doctors and several consultants did not think to test her for Lymes despite her son being recently diagnosed and treated. He'd had the classic bulls-eye rash, though she didn't.
Eventually, she paid to be tested in Germany then had treatment in USA - to quote 'luckily I could afford to pay' !!

I'm not sure how effective long trousers and sleeves are in avoiding ticks - they are, after all, designed to catch onto animal fur which our clothing mimics to a degree.
An all over wax and naked rambling might be the way to go :)

I thought UK doctors were a bit more clued up, now, but maybe not. How long ago did this unfortunate woman first consult one? Some years ago, I got off somewhat more lightly but only because I went back to Switzerland, where I was living and working then, soon after I was bitten.

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=40010.msg578889#msg578889

Long trousers, when tucked into socks, at least make it much harder for the ticks to get to your skin. If they can't do that reasonably quickly, they're likely to drop off and wait for another victim. Sleeves aren't quite so important unless the undergrowth is very tall or you're rolling around in it.

I decided back then on clothes rather than wax. The better the weather is for naked rambling the more likely the wax is to melt. Very messy!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:06:27, 17/06/20 »
I'm running through tall grass etc every day but so far have not had a problem. My pet hate is stinging nettles especially when they sting my knees or my fingers!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:36:22, 17/06/20 »
I'm running through tall grass etc every day but so far have not had a problem. My pet hate is stinging nettles especially when they sting my knees or my fingers!
If you run through well trafficked areas, chances are the local dog walkers may well have already used their pets to sweep the area clear for you.  On the other hand, if you sit quietly in the right parts of Exmoor, you can hear the gentle thunder of billions of ticks heading towards you.
Solvitur Ambulando

Ferret

« Reply #9 on: 13:23:11, 18/06/20 »
I spotted a dreaded bullseye rash on my arm last year. Went to the doctor who seemed to have no idea that it could be caused by a tick bite and a precursor to Lyme's disease. Acted like I was wasting her time. Eventually, I persuaded her to look the disease up on the net and she reluctantly prescribed some pills for me.

Hello everyone, by the way. I'm new here.  :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:44:44, 18/06/20 »
I spotted a dreaded bullseye rash on my arm last year. Went to the doctor who seemed to have no idea that it could be caused by a tick bite and a precursor to Lyme's disease. Acted like I was wasting her time. Eventually, I persuaded her to look the disease up on the net and she reluctantly prescribed some pills for me.

Hello everyone, by the way. I'm new here.  :)

Hello Ferret, there's a Newbies forum, should you wish to tell us more about your good self. ;)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:56:39, 18/06/20 »
Welcome to the forum Ferret.
I assume that the pills were effective - have you had any other symptoms?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ferret

« Reply #12 on: 15:31:30, 21/06/20 »
Thanks both!

I shall venture into the newbies section!

So far so good as far as Lyme disease goes so I'm assuming the antibiotics worked, although apparently, it can can take up to three years to rear its ugly head so I've got a little while before I don't regard every little twinge and ache as the start of the illness. Oh the joys of being a hypochondriac!  :)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:05:50, 22/06/20 »
A couple of people in our village (Suffolk) have mentioned there’s ticks around but it’s not really been a problem here before, so I think it must be more prevalent this year. I always wear shorts in hot weather as I suffer from hikers rash and it’s worse when it’s hot and I have long trousers on (though obviously it would be better than getting Lymes disease). For now though I shall just be more vigilante and take the tick remover.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #14 on: 17:30:39, 22/06/20 »
You can expect to see ticks March to October.  I do see a few every year. I went for a walk the other night up North Yorkshire moors for the soltice took about 15 of them off both dogs.  Its the same or more every walk.  I use tick treatment but it does not stop the little blood suckers going on them.  In years past I've never took 15 ticks off all year.   There is definitely a huge increase in my area. I make sure I spray myself well every time I'm on the moors now.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy