Author Topic: Lost children  (Read 5725 times)

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Re: Lost children
« Reply #15 on: 18:05:24, 29/06/16 »
All safe and well according to the Welsh news. MRT team leader said they did the right thing, stayed and huddled together and kept morale up until found.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:08:55, 29/06/16 »
Been watching the reports on the news Channel.  Good news that all now safe or heading for safety.  My first thought is slightly mountain out of a mole hill in our safety consensus, media led world.  But I don't know the details.  Good that they knew what they should do and did it.  Young people have plenty of resources to call on themselves.  Always good to know the MRT are there when called upon though. Good work.  O0
« Last Edit: 18:12:45, 29/06/16 by BuzyG »

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:09:04, 29/06/16 »
If they were on a DofE expedition they will have been well equipped.

My daughter is off on her bronze expedition on Friday, we're packing tonight so she can take her rucksack to school tomorrow for a kit check.

The list is comprehensive, or from her point of view very heavy!

Glad all these youngsters have been found OK, reports so far suggest possibly a couple of cases of mild hypothermia.

Reports don't say what level DofE the kids were on, by the time they get to gold will have a reasonable amount of experience.
Even the best of navigators can get caught out at times though as we all know.
Enjoy every sandwich

phil1960

• Veteran Member

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:23:16, 29/06/16 »
All safe and well according to the Welsh news. MRT team leader said they did the right thing, stayed and huddled together and kept morale up until found.

Well trained then  ;)

Glad they're all safe  O0
Where there's a will ...

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:47:15, 29/06/16 »
Well trained then  ;)

Glad they're all safe  O0
Yep all had bothy bags and knew what to do  O0

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:20:43, 29/06/16 »
It simply comes down to choice of terrain, taking a large party of school children into one of the less frequented areas of the Brecon Beacons, in the worst weather imaginable, was most unwise.

Link below is to a DofE page that show recommended terrain for different DofE levels

http://www.dofe.info/en/content/cms/doing-your-dofe/activities-sections/expedition/expedition-require/

Where they were would seem to be ideal for a gold expedition.

I wonder if each group had been given gps or Viewranger and instruction on how to use it, how much money and time might have been saved?

GPS can only be used as a secondary navigation device for DofE expeditions so you couldn't viewranger your route then use GPS to follow waypoints.
Could you carry a GPSr and use it for a position check? I don't know but I'm interested enough now to find out from my daughters supervisors.

She's only off to the Mendips but they have spent a lot of time planning their route and producing route cards.
Enjoy every sandwich

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 14:16:52, 30/06/16 »
The use of some words in above responses are a bit too emotive and clearly spoken without any knowledge,thought or decent information.
The groups were never LOST, the school leader actually gave their OS coordinates to the rescue services. There were two of the group who were not well and the group reacted in the correct manner according to the MR team on the news. It seems most if not all walked out.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 14:32:52, 30/06/16 »
I wonder how many folk know how to use a slide rule today?
O0 
I still have an old 6" Faber Castell plus a circular slide rule. I found both very useful in my school days.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 14:55:15, 30/06/16 »
The use of some words in above responses are a bit too emotive and clearly spoken without any knowledge,thought or decent information.
The groups were never LOST, the school leader actually gave their OS coordinates to the rescue services. There were two of the group who were not well and the group reacted in the correct manner according to the MR team on the news. It seems most if not all walked out.

Well said  O0
Where there's a will ...

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 15:01:50, 30/06/16 »
Yep it's come out today, the group leader explained it was health issues that prompted the call to mrt

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 15:21:21, 30/06/16 »
Sadly despite this operation being dealt with in a professional manner by both MRT and Coastgaurd SAR. Reports coming in that the groups involved did everything right and executed there training well.   I'm a massive fan of DoE and hope that it will continue to train and equip young adults to enjoy the outdoors.
« Last Edit: 09:05:31, 01/07/16 by Chris »
BURN FAT NOT OIL

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 15:23:56, 30/06/16 »

Thank you. Informed facts are always better than ill informed speculation.  O0
BURN FAT NOT OIL

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 16:14:26, 30/06/16 »
I thought this was a Peter Pan thread.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 16:25:39, 30/06/16 »
I thought this was a Peter Pan thread.
Well there was a happy ending  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy