Author Topic: [Trip Report] Brown Knoll and Rushup Edge  (Read 7278 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
[Trip Report] Brown Knoll and Rushup Edge
« on: 18:57:09, 31/08/08 »
Date of walk - 30/08/08
Conditions - cloudy with occasionally sunny spells. This made it pretty hot and muggy when there wasn't a breeze.
Distance - 10.5 miles, 4 hours taken.

Question of the day - Is Brown Knoll muddier than Kinder? We say Yes.

This was a walk we'd planned for ages but not actually got around to doing. So now we did and to cap it all I [censored] up my camera settings without noticing; so the last few pics were very under exposed so I've brightened them as best I could. Still I may be able to retake some of them  ;) even if I feel no need to walk Brown Knoll again.

OS Map is courtesy of Crown Copyright.

This walk was slightly different for us as normally for Kinder Scout we go up Gridsbrooks and down the Ladder. This time we weren't going anywhere near Grindsbrook and unusually were going up the Ladder. Strangely most people seem to come down the Ladder, the reason why I was reminded of.

Still we start by going through Edale village and follow the start of the Pennine Way, with it's very much uppy and downy bits. Still compared the 'The Ladder, breaker of legs and emptier of lungs' (tm)* this is pretty much a 2 mile amble rather than anything too exerting. Still at this point in the valley you did notice the temperature as there was little or no breeze.

Still soon enough we came across our first view of the bikers path up and down 'The Ladder, breaker of legs and emptier of lungs' (tm) *

So soon enough we find ourselves at the foot of the 'The Ladder, breaker of legs and emptier of lungs' (tm)*.

So we start the ascent, walking poles in hand, taking it easy as this is steep and heavy going despite the fairly well maintained path. Jacobs Ladders reputation is well deserves as you start at 360m above sea level, but in a very short distance indeed (300m) you've gained 100m in height, by the very end you're 532m above sea level and have only walked 800m in total.

Near the top there's a nice cairn, but from the very top we headed towards Brown Knoll. Brown Knoll, in the running for Worlds Muddiest place.

Brown Knoll is to the south of Kinder Scout and I expected it to be a fairly dry walk. However the terrain is like a mini version of Kinder scout. Some grassy bits, some eroded paths and peat bogs. Pools of water, so all in all you move 20-30m each side to advance a few meters forwards. Looking back towards Kinder I suspect that Brown Knoll is actually muddier than Kinder but without the views.

This I feel is best illustrated by the trig point, which is surely using some anti-gravity mechanism to stop it sinking.

Still as you get further on it does get grassier, even if it never loses the boot sucking and soaking sections. Still good boots take care of that even if it makes walking less straight forward. Still there is one interesting diversion - the air shaft for the rail tunnel.

After a while though you approach the path alongside Rushup Edge, this being a proper path you almost want to get down and kiss it. Obviously I didn't as that'd be a bit weird.

Rushup Edge is a favourite haunt of Hang / Para gliders so they sky is often thick with them. You also get a lovely view across the remaining ridge to Mam Tor, even if Lords Seat is just a grass hump you do get a nice view. The only downer today was the huge amount of flying ants around, so we abandoned eating here and kept on until Mam Tor (dodgy photos from here on in)

Sated from a nice sit down, some sarnies and Hob [censored] we set off down the other side of Mam Tor towards Hollins Cross. Take a look at the devastated main road we reached Hollins Cross and with that headed down towards Edale.

* Obviously not a real trademark, I just made it up.
© Dazza
« Last Edit: 23:29:59, 02/10/09 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

stevieboy378

Re: [Trip Report] Brown Knoll and Rushup Edge
« Reply #1 on: 19:26:55, 31/08/08 »
Tell you what - I'd much sooner climb the ladder than descend it - my knees are aching just thinking about the last time . . . .
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:33:25, 31/08/08 »
Either way it's not the most pleasant part of a walk not matter which way you go.

Going up is hard work, going down jars your legs something rotten.

Mind you walking poles help both situations.

If anything the cycle path is actually worse.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

stevieboy378

« Reply #3 on: 19:45:47, 31/08/08 »
I don't mind steep climbs - yes, they're knackering, but I like the fact that each step gains plenty of altitude - I much prefer a short, steep climb to a long-winded gentle slope . . .
Nice TR and accompanying pics by the way - can I ask what the camera problem was that caused the last of your shots to be underexposed ?
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .

Steve Wilcox

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:17:07, 31/08/08 »
Thanks. I like to do a good report, hopefully amusing as well as informative.

I think most people (myself included) prefer going up to down.

The camera problem wasn't a problem with the camera as such. I use a Nikon D40 when walking. Most of the time it's in a camera 'holster' type bag so it gets turned off and on again quite a lot during a walk.

The mode selector is very easy to hit when you're turning the camera on and off and bringing it up to eye level for the view finder. I use the camera in auto but manually control the focusing. In this case I set the camera completely to manual except focus so what I saw through the lens is fine, what the ccd was set to was something entirely different.

I also don't check the images on the TFT screen as usually problems are focus related and unless you spend a bit of time you can't tell if something is in or out of focus. So I usually shoot 2 or 3 shots of a target to remove any unintentional focus problems or get a better angle.
Obviously if I'd checked on the day I'd have seen immediately they were too dark to be correct and check the settings and reshoot. I'll be more careful in future.

That said, whilst I won't walk Brown Knoll again I might venture towards Rushup Edge as the views and landscape are unusual and fantastic. On a clear day (which the day in question certainly wasn't) the views must be incredible.
« Last Edit: 21:20:19, 31/08/08 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------

stevieboy378

« Reply #5 on: 22:02:57, 31/08/08 »
LOL - I use a Canon 5D and can sympathise - 99% of my problems usually stem from me forgetting to reset camera settings between shoots - I'll be halfway through a walk, enjoying wonderfully fast shutter speeds, then realise I've still got the ISO set at 1600 from when I shot some indoor portraits without flash  >:(

I share your dislike of  Brown Knoll ( and the Kinder plateau itself if I'm honest - I find it a dreary place ), but Rushup is ok. I much prefer the Mam Tor - Lose Hill ridge - In midweek I've walked the entire length of the ridge and not seen a soul - bliss . . . .

I thought of putting a few of my trip reports up, but I tend to walk long distances (25-40 miles) unaccompanied, so theres not usually enough of any interest happening - just miles and miles of pounded footpaths, and sore legs . . . .

Steve Wilcox

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy