Author Topic: [Trip Report] Bamford Moor  (Read 4568 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
[Trip Report] Bamford Moor
« on: 22:50:18, 26/06/07 »
Now I'll admit this won't be as full a report as usual as it's one from the 6th of April 2007. The route is approximate at 10.6km (it was longer due to much meandering when circle hunting, 14-15km IIRC).

So far though it was one of the walks I've enjoyed the most. It followed a walk we did in Hathersage (being in the same area) which we stopped a bit early as conditions were getting rough, but it was a nice area so we returned a little bit wiser and with a new aim for this walk - stone circle hunting. Something we now incorporate where we can.

We parked up in a nice spot at Dennis Knoll (SK 22793 84340). Space for a fair few cars without blocking traffic. The weather was gorgeous as you can see, sunny with a nice cooling breeze. We'd left a hot flask at the car and some snacks for later. After taking a quick snap from around the corner we set off properly.

We started off on the road West/SW and entered the moor at SK 21545 83953. For a moor the footpaths were generally good, even though we knew we'd have to do some bog hopping to find our first target - a stone circle.

Keeping pretty much to the path initially we passed an old quarry to the West (impressive one as well). We then started the first (of what would be many) detours to try and reach the stone circle. Another group was looking for the same circle and obviously we couldn't let them get to it first (plus we had GPS, unfair? maybe). We managed to overtake them and their guide and came upon the circle after a few hundred yards detour. After taking in the circle for a while we headed back to the path to one of the other landmarks on the moor.

Now Bamford Moor has quite a bit to see, so we weren't rushing. Plenty of cairns and discussions along the lines of "is that it?", "no it can't be" we eventually made our way to the Glory Stones (SK 21305 85338) for some food. Whilst we ate we watched an obviously cold (the wind was chilly) bumble bee cling onto a flower for dear life. By the time we'd finished eating though it had gained enough strength to fly away and bother the many hares and rabbits frequenting the area.

Initially we headed off to the field system and hut circle. The hut circle wasn't particularly clear but did give a great view of Ladybower Reservoir. After taking in the view for a while we planned our route back to the car. In the end we decided yeah why not one more stone circle, so rather than go o'er hill and dale we took a detour via Jarvis Clough to keep the going relatively level.

The route was via moor and heather (with an obelisk laid by British Gas, which was interesting in a WHY? kind of way) and finally made it onto grassland(ish) and the next stone circle (SK 21518 86853).

Well this one had obviously been occupied recently. The extinguished fire was no more than a day or two old and the circle itself largely complete. An interesting thing was left inside the circle, so obviously it had been used recently (and I'll leave that in the mind of the reader to decide for what). We spent some time here, seeing which stones aligned to the compass etc. Once happy, as it was getting on, we took the direct route back via Stanage Edge as we knew we could make good time on the paths.

Sadly this meant bogs, water and heather. It also meant an uphill route to the rocky ground at the bottom of Stanage Edge. It took a while to get to solid ground, where we took a quick water break (well Hi juice and water break really).

After a suitable recovery period behind a rock so no one sould see me suffering. We tramped on back to the car.

I thoroughly enjoyed this walk. We got back to the car, took off our boots (always a good feeling) changed into clothes not caked with mud, broke open the sandwiches and made some tea.

Apart from it being a good walk what made it for me was everyone said thanks as we closed the car door whilst changing to let them pass. There didn't seem to be anyone around who wasn't courteous and polite. To top it off, as the sun was beginning to set I sat on the side of the road in the sunlight, drinking my tea, my head empty of all stress and worry thinking one thing - this is fantastic and some people ask why we do this.

Map reproduced from Ordnance Survey map data by permission of Ordnance Survey, © Crown copyright.

© Dazza
« Last Edit: 23:34:54, 02/10/09 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
Re: [Trip Report] Bamford Moor
« Reply #1 on: 18:38:23, 03/07/07 »
Ahh, that strange meat offering again ... Hm ... tasty  ;D

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Re: [Trip Report] Bamford Moor
« Reply #2 on: 20:20:26, 03/07/07 »
Heh heh, well at least you now have the full context.

Perhaps I should have posted it into the Trail food section?
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy