Author Topic: Which boot?  (Read 7196 times)

Chris_663

Which boot?
« on: 13:56:41, 09/09/19 »
Hi all new to the forums and glad to be here  :) . I would say I'm no expert in Hiking, I never got into the different terminologies and I don't know a lot of popular hiking routes that others probably know. I am however very active and I've been hiking over various parts of the UK for many years, so I'd say I'm not a total total beginner. Ordinarily I research things carefully before I buy and this time around I was looking for a little help with boots.

I've been using a really poor quality pair of karrimor boots which leave my feet in pieces for the last few years, but now I want to get into hiking more seriously the time has come to buy a new pair and I want to make sure I get something that is going to last me and provide great comfort too.

The plan is I'll be going on hikes every other weekend, I'm based close to the Yorkshire three peaks which I imagine I'll be doing a lot. Most of the terrain I would say will be fairly even, however I'd like something that will be good for scrambling over harsh terrain as I plan to run routes like scafell pike again, once i get back into it full time.

These are the ones I have been looking at so far:

Mammut Ayako High GTX
Salomon Quest 4d 3 GTX
Mountain Warehouse Excalibur Leather Boots

(Sorry can't post links yet)

The mammuts I have felt in store, feel super sturdy and overall seem like very high quality, although maybe a little overkill for standard UK hill walking? The salomons have been recommended by a friend but I haven't felt them yet and the MW leather ones are a reasonable price currently on sale and leather, but I've read online MW gear is poor quality. I was wondering if anyone else had any recommendations too as I'm still pretty early in the decision making process.

Any help much appreciated

Many Thanks

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Which boot?
« Reply #1 on: 15:56:51, 09/09/19 »
In my short time on this forum I've learned that there are a lot of experts on the subject of boots, but I'll have a quick go at answering before they arrive...  ;)

I began with MW boots (and shoes) because prices in 'proper' outdoors shops seemed ridiculous. They really weren't very good - leaky, short life, not sturdy.

So I had to spend more. Salomon Quest 4D GTX were next. First pair lasted 4 months before leaking. New replacements also lasted 4 months before leaking. My wife uses the women's version and they leak badly (but she likes them and uses waterproof socks!).

I upgraded to Scarpa R-Evo GTX boots and they've been excellent - waterproof, supportive and comfortable.  O0

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Chris_663

« Reply #2 on: 16:10:17, 09/09/19 »
In my short time on this forum I've learned that there are a lot of experts on the subject of boots, but I'll have a quick go at answering before they arrive...  ;)

I began with MW boots (and shoes) because prices in 'proper' outdoors shops seemed ridiculous. They really weren't very good - leaky, short life, not sturdy.

So I had to spend more. Salomon Quest 4D GTX were next. First pair lasted 4 months before leaking. New replacements also lasted 4 months before leaking. My wife uses the women's version and they leak badly (but she likes them and uses waterproof socks!).

I upgraded to Scarpa R-Evo GTX boots and they've been excellent - waterproof, supportive and comfortable.  O0

Thanks for the input, appreciate it. The Scarpas you mentioned are within my budget so I'll consider them too, many thanks. How long have you been using these so far?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:28:36, 09/09/19 »
I  can't comment on the Mammut Ayako High GTX having never come across it before but as already pointed out Salomon have an extremely high failure rate for leaking, Mountain Warehouse seem to think of a number and offer a high discount to make it look like you're getting a good deal but the build quality is generally poor.

If you want high quality boots and something that's going to last I would suggest that you probably need to increase your budget and look at full leather boots with minimal stiching and if possible a high rubber rand to protect the toe area from scuffs and scrapes.

I would recommend that you have a look at Altberg's range of boots. Depending on the type of walking you do most the following models may be suitable options. If the model of a boot made on the standard last doesn't quite fit or suit your particular foot shape, width and volume it's a fairly safe be that a boot made on either the A-Forme or G-Fit last will. All Altberg boots can be resoled if and when the need arises.

2-3 Season Boots
Altberg Fremington Men's 1412g RRP £179.99 (standard last with 5 width fittings) https://www.altberg.co.uk/product/the-fremington-mens-boot-mto/
Altberg Malham Men's 1344g RRP £184.99 (A-Forme last with 1 medium width fitting) https://www.altberg.co.uk/product/the-malham-mens-boot-mto/
Altberg Keld Unisex 1428g RRP £189.99 (G-Fit last with 1 wide width high volume fitting) https://www.altberg.co.uk/product/keld-boot-factory-stock/

3 Season Boots
Altberg Tethera Men's 1472g RRP £214.99 (standard last with 5 width fittings) https://www.altberg.co.uk/product/the-tethera-mens-boot-mto/
Altberg Nordkapp Unisex 1460g RRP £219.99 (A-Forme last with 1 medium width fitting) https://www.altberg.co.uk/product/factory-stock-nordkapp/
Altberg Kisdon Unisex 1622g RRP £219.99 (G-Fit last with 1 wide width high volume fitting) https://www.altberg.co.uk/product/kisdon-boot-factory-stock/

I would highly recommend that you visit to Whalley Warm & Dry https://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/boot-fitting-service/ who are an Altberg Premier Retailer and I cannot recommend their boot fitting service highly enough. Customers travel from all over the country to use their boot fitting skills and services and are highly recommended by many other forum members.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:29:05, 09/09/19 »
For me. I too have owned Quest 4D and mine also leaked, my recent Salomon Ultra X's also leaked. I do not know your other two boots, all I know in leather is Berghaus Supalites. I've owned three pairs to date, my feet were always dry until the last pair gave up in November 2017. I had them for over two years, feet dry until then. The other two pairs (they never leaked) it was the soles that just wore down along the outer edges so became uncomfortable. I would happily go back to Supalites again, my feet fit in them very well.

Chris_663

« Reply #5 on: 16:51:43, 09/09/19 »
I  can't comment on the Mammut Ayako High GTX having never come across it before but as already pointed out Salomon have an extremely high failure rate for leaking, Mountain Warehouse seem to think of a number and offer a high discount to make it look like you're getting a good deal but the build quality is generally poor.

If you want high quality boots and something that's going to last I would suggest that you probably need to increase your budget and look at full leather boots with minimal stiching and if possible a high rubber rand to protect the toe area from scuffs and scrapes.

(Cant post links yet)

Thank you for the detailed reply, you've certainly given me something to think about! I am happy to increase my budget and I'll take a look into Altberg boots as suggested. Whalley Outdoors isn't too far away from me so I could pay them a visit and like they say "Take the guess work out"  

Many Thanks again ^^

Chris_663

« Reply #6 on: 16:52:21, 09/09/19 »
For me. I too have owned Quest 4D and mine also leaked, my recent Salomon Ultra X's also leaked. I do not know your other two boots, all I know in leather is Berghaus Supalites. I've owned three pairs to date, my feet were always dry until the last pair gave up in November 2017. I had them for over two years, feet dry until then. The other two pairs (they never leaked) it was the soles that just wore down along the outer edges so became uncomfortable. I would happily go back to Supalites again, my feet fit in them very well.

Sounds like the quest 4ds are a no go then! thanks for the input

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:53:17, 09/09/19 »

Thank you for the detailed reply, you've certainly given me something to think about! I am happy to increase my budget and I'll take a look into Altberg boots as suggested. Whalley Outdoors isn't too far away from me so I could pay them a visit and like they say "Take the guess work out"  

Many Thanks again ^^
Wise decision.
Solvitur Ambulando

Chris_663

« Reply #8 on: 17:05:01, 09/09/19 »
Just briefly then, what would be the benefits of having high vs mid boots?

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:12:31, 09/09/19 »
You can walk through deeper water without your feet getting wet?  ;)

But seriously... Again I'm no expert having just the Scarpas and a pair of lower leather Berghaus boots. The Scarpas can eventually let in water after a lot of exposure while the Berghaus boots haven't let in any yet - but I've not used the latter as much because I find them less comfortable.

(My Scarpas have lasted a couple of years and are still almost as new, but I do at least 90% of my walking in approach shoes and I've been through a lot of those!)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:36:36, 09/09/19 »

In general the higher the ankle cuff is the more ankle support and protection it offers.

2/3 season boots have a lower ankle cuff and are generally used for lower level walking whilst 3 season boots have a higher ankle cuff and are more suitable for higher level walking and offer more ankle protection on rougher ground and in some cases they may also have a slightly stiffer sole with less flex than the 2/3 season boots.

If you haven't already got some you will also find a pair of either GoreTex or Event gaiters a great help in keeping water, mud and grit out of your boots. There's no need to spend a fortune something like the Trekmates Cairngorm GTX gaiters can be had for around £20.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:53:45, 09/09/19 »

Many Thanks again ^^

I’d certainly go to somewhere like that...a shop with qualified boot fitters and a wide range to try on. And other things being equal I’d agree with kinkyboot’s notion that it’s a good idea to go with full leather, minimal stitching and a good protective rand.

(If you treat the leather correctly leather boots will remain waterproof after internal membrane breaks down...a big advantage over fabric, if you’re paying “top dollar” and want something that lasts.”)

Beyond that I’d say go with the pair where your immediate gut feeling is “wow, these are super comfortable”.

By and large modern boots are comfortable from the start..or never become comfortable... don’t fall for the notion they will become much more comfortable once they “break in”.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:23:53, 09/09/19 »
My Salomon Quest 4D's were high, No matter how I tried to remedy the problem after a few days they just kept rubbing my lower limbs red-raw. Nowadays I will only go for midi boots, for my feet and legs, perfect!

Chris_663

« Reply #13 on: 09:04:20, 10/09/19 »
In general the higher the ankle cuff is the more ankle support and protection it offers.

2/3 season boots have a lower ankle cuff and are generally used for lower level walking whilst 3 season boots have a higher ankle cuff and are more suitable for higher level walking and offer more ankle protection on rougher ground and in some cases they may also have a slightly stiffer sole with less flex than the 2/3 season boots.

If you haven't already got some you will also find a pair of either GoreTex or Event gaiters a great help in keeping water, mud and grit out of your boots. There's no need to spend a fortune something like the Trekmates Cairngorm GTX gaiters can be had for around £20.

Thanks for the tip. I'll probably need gaitors with our UK weather system. Decided to book into the Whalleys and see what they say! I'll let you know how I get on  O0

mow1701

« Reply #14 on: 09:26:53, 10/09/19 »
I’d always recommend Altberg boots specifically the Fremington for general walking and backpacking. The closet you can get to a bespoke boot as they come in different foot sizes(obviously) but the clincher is they offer different widths. They are leather with a membrane and never has issues of wet feet. I tried synthetics but they always fail eventually as it solely relies on the membrane. I used to use scarpa but the Altberg are more durable- first boots I have had resoled as the leather hasn't cracked. Tried mammut but found them too narrow. Used on many long distance backpacking trips ( Pennine Way, Cape Wrath Trail,Kungsleden) and have kept my feet dry and comfortable
« Last Edit: 09:32:12, 10/09/19 by mow1701 »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy