Author Topic: The benefits of Walking  (Read 3043 times)

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
The benefits of Walking
« on: 11:49:58, 18/06/18 »
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Re: The benefits of Walking
« Reply #1 on: 12:29:53, 18/06/18 »
You list is fairly comprehensive.

And, of course, I agree with you about the physical and mental benefits.

But, I suppose, for me the "deciding factor" is that it's such a pleasurable way, to spend large-ish amounts of time. There would be a big gap in my week without walking's ability to make large chunks of day enjoyable.

Beth FF

« Reply #2 on: 16:32:14, 19/06/18 »
For one of my neurophysiology assignments at uni I had to present a paper on the beneficial effects of physical exercise on the brain. The outcome was that the number of minutes exercised each week (rather than the number of sessions or the duration of each session) was positively correlated to hippocampal volume. This is good because the hippocampus is responsible for converting short term memories to long term memories as well as our location awareness and memory. It's the part of the brain that is affected by dememtia, so it's thought that exercise has a beneficial effect on helping to prevent neurodegeneration and associated conditions such as Alzheimer's.
On a personal level, I find walking in the countryside helps keep me emotionaly bouyant, probably due to the quiet calm open space and greenery as much as the heart-pumping effects. It doesn't even matter what the weather is like, I love it  :)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:36:41, 19/06/18 »
On a personal level, I find walking in the countryside helps keep me emotionaly bouyant, probably due to the quiet calm open space and greenery as much as the heart-pumping effects. It doesn't even matter what the weather is like, I love it  :)

Couldn't agree more, rain, wind etc makes no difference to the enjoyment I get  O0
Where there's a will ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:38:31, 20/06/18 »
One benifit for me is I can rant and rave out loud, I can shout at the sky, I can talk to sheep who say "baaaa" to everything I say, I can curse cows for standing in my way and I can even solve all sorts of problems. Sometimes talking to yourself out loud can be a wonderful experience.

RogerA

« Reply #5 on: 13:46:02, 20/06/18 »
walking gives me space away from everything else on my own with no one relying on me, no time to keep to, no one keeping score, just me, my boots and a trail

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:50:52, 20/06/18 »

Couldn't agree more, rain, wind etc makes no difference to the enjoyment I get  O0

So true late for our walk last Sunday, so spent the day on Dartmoor in P soup fog and drizzle thinking I would join up with the group at some point.  Finally bumped into them in the car park at 3:30pm LoL.  Any way my point is, it was still a great day walking the moors.

Nomad32

« Reply #7 on: 17:15:15, 24/06/18 »
walking gives me space away from everything else on my own with no one relying on me, no time to keep to, no one keeping score, just me, my boots and a trail
defo agree. its a chance to unwind away from the stress of my professional life. i leave my stress and worry in the van and wander off into the wild and take in the scenery and get some fresh air away from the hustle and bustle of civilization

Nomad32

« Reply #8 on: 18:19:52, 24/06/18 »

So true late for our walk last Sunday, so spent the day on Dartmoor in P soup fog and drizzle thinking I would join up with the group at some point.  Finally bumped into them in the car park at 3:30pm LoL.  Any way my point is, it was still a great day walking the moors.
I love
Dartmoor. I spent many hours yomping round there. Got lost ones or twice. Picture the Scene walked over a tor and found a big field of rocked as far as the eye could see. Then the mist came down while I had my lunch. So i got disoriented and couldnt think which way i'd walked in from. It looked the same in all directions. All roads lead to knowhere. So walked in one direction till i found a stone circle with a colum of stones and found my way again. Keep calm and collect yourself think of a plan. It's walks like that u remember

wizz

« Reply #9 on: 20:17:12, 06/07/18 »
I was walking on the Yorkshire moors with a mate of mine, then the mist rolled in. No problem, he had his map and compass, we knew that we had to cut to the right, we knew that there was a fence and it didn't matter exactly were we joined it, we just had to turn left.. As we were walking he was keeping a check on his compass but to me it felt as though we were turning to the left all the time, but we trusted the compass, and came out just were we wanted to be. Forwards to another time, same place different mate, same conditions, no map , no compass, we'd ditched them with a mate of ours who was following on a car ride out, seeing as I knew the way, done it dozens of times, I said, we make a right along here, we heather bash till we reach the fence then turn left. Well that was the idea, but I reckon we turned left in a few hundred yards, heading in exactly the opposite direction till we reached a road and begged a lift. It is so easy to get it wrong, mind you, they've got all of these fancy gadgets to get lost with now.

Nomad32

« Reply #10 on: 01:13:36, 07/07/18 »
I was walking on the Yorkshire moors with a mate of mine, then the mist rolled in. No problem, he had his map and compass, we knew that we had to cut to the right, we knew that there was a fence and it didn't matter exactly were we joined it, we just had to turn left.. As we were walking he was keeping a check on his compass but to me it felt as though we were turning to the left all the time, but we trusted the compass, and came out just were we wanted to be. Forwards to another time, same place different mate, same conditions, no map , no compass, we'd ditched them with a mate of ours who was following on a car ride out, seeing as I knew the way, done it dozens of times, I said, we make a right along here, we heather bash till we reach the fence then turn left. Well that was the idea, but I reckon we turned left in a few hundred yards, heading in exactly the opposite direction till we reached a road and begged a lift. It is so easy to get it wrong, mind you, they've got all of these fancy gadgets to get lost with now.
I like it the old fashioned way.
Map and compass.
There is no substitute.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 06:36:45, 07/07/18 »

I like it the old fashioned way.
Map and compass.
There is no substitute.

+1

Even if people have the tech, they should still carry a map and compass, and know how to use it.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:54:46, 07/07/18 »
One of the better benefits of walking alone is getting away from pedants.
There was no such thing as maps or compasses during the existence of most of humanity., someone invented both. Something else was invented that works just as well on normal walks. so what makes one superior to the other. Or was the fact that our ancestors could actually navigate by sun, starts and the moon actually count more than either, so should we acrry nothing?
Too little, too late, too bad......

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:42:55, 07/07/18 »

+1

Even if people have the tech, they should still carry a map and compass, and know how to use it.

Always carry a compass but no longer a paper map, just at least two electronic ones  ;)
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:43:25, 07/07/18 »
One of the better benefits of walking alone is getting away from pedants.
There was no such thing as maps or compasses during the existence of most of humanity., someone invented both. Something else was invented that works just as well on normal walks. so what makes one superior to the other. Or was the fact that our ancestors could actually navigate by sun, starts and the moon actually count more than either, so should we acrry nothing?

O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy