Author Topic: Arthur's Seat  (Read 4541 times)

halfbear

Arthur's Seat
« on: 13:15:42, 12/12/16 »
afternoon all - been a while since I posted, but thought this'd be the best place to ask a (hopefully) simple question

I am in Edinburgh next Monday to Wednesday, and was wondering how onerous Arthur's Seat is to get up?  Also, is it doable in trainers?  I don't really want to pack my boots for a short city break!

thanks!  :)

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: Arthur's Seat
« Reply #1 on: 17:12:54, 12/12/16 »
Yes you can do it in trainers, (maybe as long as it isn't snowing) it doesn't take long, you can get up and down easily in the short winter afternoon.  Very good view to effort ratio when you get to the top if the weather's reasonable.

halfbear

« Reply #2 on: 18:50:02, 12/12/16 »
excellent, thanks!

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:30:20, 12/12/16 »
+1 to everything Island plodder said.
I would also add that the routes are plentiful and clear. Not even the longest should take more than an hour. The majority start at the Holyrood end, and there's plenty of geological interest too. (If you like that kind of thing.)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:00:09, 13/12/16 »
I stayed for a short break near the Grass Market. One day I walked with Mrs BWW down the Royal Mile to Holyrood Palace. After spending several hours visiting both Palace and the Scottish Parliament, we thought Arthur's Seat look quite inviting. We comfortably reach the top. I was dressed for town shoes, suit and umbrella. Mrs BWW did wear walking shoes. We came the opposite side and returned through woodland near the University, I think.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

halfbear

« Reply #5 on: 09:58:34, 13/12/16 »
cheers - appreciate the replies - looking forward to getting up there now (providing it doesn't snow by Monday!)

Oldtramp

« Reply #6 on: 19:22:04, 13/12/16 »
A pleasant walk.  Was up about 3 weeks ago, when I had a conference in Edinburgh.  Under 2.5 hours for a stroll from behind Holyrood House, along Salisbury Crags, onto Arthur's Seat then down past St Anthony's Chapel.  A lot of the time spent playing with the camera.  so, it's easy to fit into a short afternoon.

The only problem is that the summit rocks are incredibly polished; no grip at all in a gathering gale.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:02:50, 13/12/16 »
I arranged to meet a group of people there and I left straight after breakfast in my digs near the Botanic Garden.
The walk was longer than I thought it would be, and when I arrived I was absolutely busting for a pee.
The trouble was, there is no cover up there at all and a number of other people about, besides the ones I was with.
When I could keep my legs crossed no longer I had to climb over a wall and water a gorse bush while my companions politely looked the other way.
So be warned, don't drink a lot before the walk!

Oldtramp

« Reply #8 on: 20:37:15, 28/12/16 »
A few shots of November's stroll; some with a very long lens.  The castle isn't quite that close to the top....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy