Author Topic: Where to walk this weekend  (Read 6264 times)

Deerplay

Where to walk this weekend
« on: 23:49:26, 08/11/06 »
After some persuasion I finally got my 12 y o daughter to agree to a walk this weekend c/o her desire to lead a healthy life. So where to go? Don't want anything too hard to put her off (around 6-8 miles). Want it to be a family thing. A good refreshment stop would be nice (either part way or at the end). Preferably circular. And not too far from home. We live between Bacup and Burnley in East Lancashire. So It's South Pennines, Bowland, Dales etc. Any suggestions?
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
Re: Where to walk this weekend
« Reply #1 on: 22:21:58, 09/11/06 »
Why don't you drive down to Thor's Cave. As this is near by it's in the White Peak.

Wetton Ford Matlock and discover the cave it's a simple walk and it only 6 miles
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Deerplay

« Reply #2 on: 01:05:27, 12/11/06 »
Thanks for the suggestion. We did Thor's cave a few years ago and enjoyed it. The Whit Peak is a couple of hours from us but very close to where my Mum and Dad live so we usually save it for visits down there. I think we're going for an amble round Pendle which is about 20 mins away and we are members of the ski club too so we might pop in there.

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:14:41, 12/11/06 »
Well today we want to wetton to explore Thor's cave we got there at 1:30 something like that as the AA route took us the long way round plus we didn't set until late. It only take us an hour to get to Buxton but with the AA route it was twice as long any how we got there finally started of at the car park walk down to the cafe which we didn't stop in carried on by the river but you. walk by the road for most of this walk than we got lost at the end of it we never got to see the cave but this is what we enjoy about walking getting lost and finding your way back were going again and this time it a most see cave nxt time wg  ;D
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:29:02, 21/11/06 »
This is weekend where of to the peaks win hill. This short circular walk of about 4 miles starts at Hope village and has fantastic views of the High Peak district. On the way up to Win Hill there are clear views of Hope and Bamford village's, on reaching the summit of Win Hill there are views of Bamford Edge, Ladybower Reservoir, Lose Hill, Mam Tor, Derwent Edge and beyond and than on sunday where back down the peaks again This walk of about 9 miles starts at Hope village up to Lose Hill, along the
Great Ridge to its highest point Mam Tor. Across farmland and down through
Cave Dale to Castleton and back to Hope.
The Ridge acts as a barrier with the dark gritstone of Kinder Scout to the north and the white limestone hills to the south. so should be fun need to get up early set of about 7 am

clean it bin it

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:18:27, 27/11/06 »
Well we did'nt go to win hill this weekend but did go walking which was still good fun as am always falling over but at least i laugh about it  still a nice day  for it weather was good and we still got out for the day. Hopefully were out this week again not sure where to go yet.   

clean it bin it

Deerplay

« Reply #6 on: 18:42:20, 27/11/06 »
Went for a stroll up and over Blackstone Edge on Sunday. Good veiws on all sides. A long time since I've been up there. Might think about somewhere like it for New Year to refer to a different thread.

Graham.r

« Reply #7 on: 16:09:14, 02/12/06 »
Anyone in Staffordshire Warwickshire or Gloucestershire or near by try the Heart of England Way

HIKINGUK

« Reply #8 on: 20:02:47, 02/12/06 »
Hi. Go to www.walkingworld.co.uk [nofollow]. For a small fee you can download thousands of walks all over the UK (& some abroad too!) I am a contributer to the walk database & have also used others for my walks. Very easy to follow with turn by turn directions & photo's, maps, fascilities in the area, & even  how to get there! There are a few free sites for walks too, but nothing as comprehensive! Put a search in google for walking/hiking sites!

HIKINGUK

« Reply #9 on: 20:05:17, 02/12/06 »
By the way, have a look at my site for some more sugestions. www.hikinguk.co.uk [nofollow]

seanbond

« Reply #10 on: 14:21:57, 03/12/06 »
i found this a good site free and all

http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk [nofollow]

Deerplay

« Reply #11 on: 23:19:53, 06/12/06 »
I contributed to Walkingworld until I realised the intention was for it to become a commercial site. Then I stopped. Call me old fashioned but I remember a time when the internet seemed to be much more a community to share info etc., not a money making opportunity, much as a lot of the walking interest groups and so on seem to have been in the past. There is an increasing trend for traditionally free or low cost activities to attract commercial attention and so on as people see a way to make profits. I am sure this is contributing to the reduction in the numbers of youth hostels, drives to make mountain rescue no longer free etc. I for one will continue to contribute to "not for profit" things rather than use the commercial sites (and no I'm not just a tight git).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy