Author Topic: TR - Around Glencoyne 2-day backpack  (Read 893 times)

vghikers

• Veteran Member
TR - Around Glencoyne 2-day backpack
« on: 17:29:30, 04/01/19 »
A 2-day route around the hills bordering Glencoyne, starting at the popular and well maintained Aira Force woodland path. The line ascends along the slopes of Watermillock Common to Hart Side and Green Side reaching the highest point at Stybarrow Dodd, then returns via Sticks Pass to ascend Sheffield Pike and finish along the Greenside Mine track to Glenridding.

On this our first midwinter backpack for years, the weather fell far short of our expectation from the forecast and yielded only brief sunshine in the middle of the first day, the remainder was thickly overcast with a dull, flat light that drained the landscape of colour and struggled to produce good views and images. The oddest aspect though was the total absence of snow on even the highest summits in early January.

Full report & photos

karl h

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Around Glencoyne 2-day backpack
« Reply #1 on: 19:11:19, 04/01/19 »
A  smashing route that Geoff  O0
I think the weather forecasters were caught out by how fast the cloud came in, originally promising two fine days  I was walking from Ravenglass on Wednesday and seem to have had more sunshine than you but Thursday was a very disappointing day if you were after great photos  >:(

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:21:46, 05/01/19 »
Thanks Karl.
Pretty much the same conditions in the south-west then, still the summits were clear and it was great to be out on a backpack to start the year right.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:51:39, 06/01/19 »
Looks as if you had a good trip, vg - some nice photos there, especially from the first day. Lovely winter colours.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:54:36, 06/01/19 »
Super pics vg  O0

Aye, not much snow this winter in The Lake District as yet.

Hate will never win

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:00:09, 06/01/19 »
Thanks Richard & April. Weird conditions but a satisfying backpack to start the year.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy