Author Topic: Documenting the demise of another PRoW  (Read 982 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Documenting the demise of another PRoW
« on: 15:09:35, 22/07/20 »
About once a week I pass a footpath that I'd really like to be able to use. Instead, I've been watching its demise.

It's not a very long path - perhaps only about a quarter of a mile - but if I could use it, I wouldn't need to walk around a blind bend on a road with no verge.

I reported the blocked path to Kent County Council (KCC) in the usual way about three years ago. I'd tried to access it from both ends, but without success. I included this photo in my report...

I updated my report from time to time and I'm fairly sure I reported the problem to The Ramblers too (my membership has since lapsed so I can't check). I never heard anything and nothing was done.

About a year ago, huge piles of aggregate appeared by the footpath. I climbed over them more than once to see if something was happening to the path, but nothing was:

Then, a few months ago, the aggregate was spread to make hardstanding and a metal fence was erected. The footpath sign was removed from the post and the post was used to attach the fence on one side, and to attach barb-wire and other stuff to completely block the PRoW on the other. Someone had put a caravan in the rough field that hadn't been used for anything for decades (I used to cycle to work along the lane that goes around the field in question).

I informed the council about the latest developments, but heard nothing. I asked if they were okay with someone closing a RoW and vandalising their signpost.

A subsequent bit of fly-tipping simply added insult to injury...

Every time I walked past, I stopped to take photos of the caravan (out of shot) and its surrounding settlement in, what I hoped, was an obvious manner. I don't know if that affected someone's decision to block the view, but this morning the view was certainly blocked.

The KCC website says that my 'reported fault' is awaiting inspection. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm not going to give up either!
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Documenting the demise of another PRoW
« Reply #1 on: 15:49:00, 22/07/20 »
I had similar issues a few years ago now with a footpath blocked by the erection of various fences where horses were being kept. Reporting to the council achieved nothing so eventually I got to issuing 'Form 4', see the procedure below, a few months later the route was reopened with styles and gates  O0

https://www.ramblers.org.uk/advice/paths-in-england-and-wales/rights-of-way-law/how-to-get-an-obstruction-removed.aspx
Where there's a will ...

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:10:39, 22/07/20 »
I had similar issues a few years ago now with a footpath blocked by the erection of various fences where horses were being kept. Reporting to the council achieved nothing so eventually I got to issuing 'Form 4', see the procedure below, a few months later the route was reopened with styles and gates  O0

https://www.ramblers.org.uk/advice/paths-in-england-and-wales/rights-of-way-law/how-to-get-an-obstruction-removed.aspx
Thanks for that sussamb.  O0
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Little Foot

« Reply #3 on: 16:25:39, 22/07/20 »
Good luck with getting the path reopened!

Beth FF

« Reply #4 on: 17:00:21, 22/07/20 »
Thanks for the link, sussamb  8)

@WhitstableDave, do you think contacting your local MP make a difference? It's not on is it  >:(

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:15:29, 22/07/20 »
Good luck Dave-  chase them hard on this.  O0
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:45:01, 22/07/20 »
Keep at it Dave.  O0

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:49:58, 22/07/20 »

That was really worth reading.   O0

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:17:57, 23/07/20 »
Good luck with getting the path re-opened. Don't let the [censored] win.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:22:53, 23/07/20 »
Good luck and I have a feeling if anyone can see this through it would be you .  O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

astaman

« Reply #10 on: 11:25:08, 23/07/20 »
If you know other like minded people in your area that feel as you do about this then getting them to report it independently might help. The less you are a lone voice the better I guess. I've known cyclists' groups in London use this method to good effect about potholes in the road.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy