Author Topic: supplies along A889  (Read 3272 times)

rainskirt

supplies along A889
« on: 23:57:05, 17/04/08 »
hi, first message here, don't plan to be an active member being from abroad but I had a question I hope someone can help me with.

Sometime around the middle of an 8 day hiking route I'll hit this A889 road (and actually do some road walking along) and I'd need to know if I'll be able to find a place to buy some supplies (food) over there. The alternative is carrying all my food for the period from the beginning (I mean, I prefer this over taking any detour).

So I'll hit the road in Dalwhinnie and follow it through Catlodge, then Laggan, then on to Garvamore. All these places are just dots in a map for me. Any chance of finding supplies along that way? If so, which kind of place and what kind of supplies can I expect to find?
Thanks a lot!

Ian s

• Veteran Member
Re: supplies along A889
« Reply #1 on: 00:35:45, 18/04/08 »
There's a small grocery store in Dalwhinnie and another in  Laggan. Don't expect too much!

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

rainskirt

« Reply #2 on: 10:23:03, 18/04/08 »
hey, thanks for the answer

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:29:02, 18/04/08 »
If you've ever seen the TV show "monarch of the glen" you'll have seen laggan stores. it was the village shop in the show.
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:47:05, 18/04/08 »
Laggan stores is quite a good shop - offerred me a cup of tea whilst I shopped last time I was there!  There's also the Monadhliath Hotel which is close by.
Is there a new shop at Dalwhinnie, though? There wasnt a shop there last time I was there but you could buy sweeties and pop at the petrol station. Tourist Info at Aviemore said that there was a shop and me and my lad walked from Ft William and based our plan on being able to buy food at Dalwhinnie - but we couldnt (apart from bar meals). In the end, we managed to buy corned beef, pasta and tinned tomatoes at the hotel - which saw us through to Braemar - failing that we'd have had to use the citylink bus to Newtonmore to get to the shops there. (I think its a Co-op??) :-\
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:28:50, 18/04/08 »
I was thinking of the garage/ store place. Couldn't remember what the range was like but yes it's certainly on the basic end of things.

Laggan stores is indeed a friendly sort of place.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy