Author Topic: Advice on hike  (Read 5116 times)

Ozymandiac

Advice on hike
« on: 10:59:48, 31/03/18 »
 Hi,

We’re considering going to the British Isles this summer for a walking holiday. We would like to ask you for advice on where to go.

We’ve previously walked sections of Offa’s Dyke Path from Monmouth to Llangollen (but skipped parts). We went one year with a tent and the next year used B&Bs.

We’re happy with walking about 10 miles per day and expect to have about 10 days, so we’re looking for a route of 100 miles or upwards. We’re aiming for B&Bs but might opt for camping if the terrain is flat enough.

What we liked in Offa’s Dyke Path and are looking for in our next trip:
 + scenery of great variety: hills, woodlands, farmers’ fields, rivers, villages.
+ villages to eat / buy provisions
+ quiet walking, not crowded, with few hardened roads and no cyclists on the path.
+ excellent signposting.

What we thought could be improved, if possible:
* maybe slightly less ‘hilly’. We’ve skipped parts of Offa’s Dyke when we weren’t confident we could traverse the terrain (Black Mountain near Pandy, the Switchback near Knighton). We did love the hills, but some parts were a little too much.
* little dependency on cash. We once had to change plans when a B&B had a system error for debit cards and our cash had to be spent (which meant we couldn’t pay for our next B&B). We could’ve carried reserves of course, but I’d like to avoid carrying that amount of money on me if possible.

All input is welcome. Note that we’re open to hikes both in the UK and in Ireland.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Ozymandiac

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Advice on hike
« Reply #1 on: 11:44:59, 31/03/18 »
The Cleveland Way for sight of wild moors and coast and never too far away from decent accommodation,  cash points, and fish n chips.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:57:20, 31/03/18 »
You could look at the Yoredale Way. I've not walked all of it but the bits I have feel like they would fit the bill.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:17:35, 31/03/18 »

Maybe Pedders Way in Norfolk.    Or look at the Wye Valley Way as far as Hay on Wye. 
Or you could look at something like the Great Glen Way in Scotland where you can often use the buses to shorten the longer stages, plenty scenery but maybe not so many villages, easy walking.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:10:19, 31/03/18 »
The Cotswold Way might suit.  It’s just over 100 miles, lots of pretty villages, countryside, history, and not too hilly.  We walked it last couple of days in August and start of Sept and found it not too busy.  Theres probably plenty of B&Bs if you avoid peak times.

Ozymandiac

« Reply #5 on: 18:57:07, 31/03/18 »
Thank you!

I will definitely look into these.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:12:38, 01/04/18 »
Really nice walks easier than Offa's Dyke, but a bit short of 100 miles are the Dales Way, Cumbria Way, West Highland Way. Cards are sometimes difficult anywhere in country area's and B&B's do tend to prefer to cash in these places.
Going off what you have said, I would recommend the Dales Way, it normaly starts from Kettlewell, however it was extended some years ago and now you can start from Bradford or Leeds, which would make it a little over 100 miles. It follows 5 beautiful rivers, but not always right along the banks, going through several villages and historic Bolton Abbey. Includes mostly country field systems, some moorland and quiet country lanes. Finishes in the lake District at Bowness on Windowmere. B&B's can get booked up far in advance especially if starting on a Saturday. We did it years ago and took 8 days from Kettlewell for the 84 miles, most do it in 6 days, but our longest day was the first one 13 miles to Burnsall, one day was only 7 miles.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:45:53, 01/04/18 »
Solvitur Ambulando

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:11:14, 01/04/18 »

Slogger, don't you mean Ilkley for the start of the Dales Way not Kettlewell?
That's where I started when I did the walk in about 1972, think it was quite new then!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:23:53, 02/04/18 »
Another option is to start at Horsham train station near to Gatwick and then hike the High Weald Trail all the way to Rye. It also has a train station, goes to Ashford one way,  towards Brighton, etc the other way. Undulating walk, lovely views, attractive villages, great pubs, walk across fields, woods, through orchards of apples, plums, pears, cherries, etc. A very varied walk, the whole length would take up to 10 days, possibly more.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:18:04, 02/04/18 »
Slogger, don't you mean Ilkley for the start of the Dales Way not Kettlewell?
That's where I started when I did the walk in about 1972, think it was quite new then!

Yes of course Ilkley not Kettlewell, thanks.

Ozymandiac

« Reply #11 on: 18:34:03, 08/04/18 »
Thanks again everybody for taking the time to think along and write it down. This is of great help.

Ozymandiac

« Reply #12 on: 11:02:30, 30/06/18 »
Hi all,
Our current plan is to walk the Dales Way, Ilkey to Bowness. We noticed the endpoint of this route is close to the Cumbrian Way, so we'll keep that as a bonus route in case we finish the Dales Way early and are looking for more.
Thumbs up for all the input  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:05:32, 30/06/18 »

Hi all,
Our current plan is to walk the Dales Way, Ilkey to Bowness. We noticed the endpoint of this route is close to the Cumbrian Way, so we'll keep that as a bonus route in case we finish the Dales Way early and are looking for more.
Thumbs up for all the input  :)

Good luck.  :)

Do post a trip report and let us know how you got on.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

mattush

« Reply #14 on: 08:44:03, 17/07/18 »
The Cleveland way may be a good fit for you. Its 109 miles long, and has options for camping on route, along with a great choice of B&Bs. The Terrain is varied, with half the walk being coastal, and the other half being in the Yorkshire Moors. Lots of fantastic views, and good walking throughout.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy