Author Topic: Covid-19 shutdown  (Read 3628 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Covid-19 shutdown
« Reply #15 on: 15:03:53, 17/03/20 »
I have just cancelled a forthcoming holiday in Snowdonia - I might lose all of the money that I have paid so far, but so be it.

Just received a message from the owner who is happy to offer a full refund minus the booking charge that she has to pay. In fact, she appeared to be really pleased that I had made contact with her about it  - What a star!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

snaderson

« Reply #16 on: 15:15:30, 17/03/20 »

Just received a message from the owner who is happy to offer a full refund minus the booking charge that she has to pay. In fact, she appeared to be really pleased that I had made contact with her about it  - What a star!
Sounds like a pretty good outcome. I'm going to speak to my travelling companion tonight and we'll agree a way forwards.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:01:01, 17/03/20 »
It's all rather depressing. I don't want to be selfish but I do invest a lot of emotional dependence on getting out into the countryside. The prospect of not going out for months horrifies me.

I'm going to repeat what I've said earlier somewhere on the forum, which is that I'm sure it's going to be ok for anyone with a car to drive to a rural parking area, walk a circuit for a few hours, and drive home again without having been near anyone.
I deeply sympathise, though, with those who are limited to public transport.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:09:07, 17/03/20 »
There was a government statement that it is fine for the over 70s to take exercise outdoors.
Just keep your distance from people. What I like to do anyway. Sunday I seemed to attract all the chatty walkers.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

snoopdawg

« Reply #19 on: 20:15:46, 17/03/20 »
Cancelled my SNT trip that was due to start on 4th April. I would be fine in myself but a) my wife has underlying health issues controlled by medication which would be aggravated by a virus and b) I didn't want to be walking place to place causing a risk to others and also being possibly being  at least 2 days travel from home. Of the 7 hostels/ hotels booked only 1 is refusing a refund, I wont name them, just refuse to use them in the future.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 07:57:48, 18/03/20 »
Fernman - underlying health conditions at the moment seems to mean hypertension, COPD, type 2 diabetes and asthma for elevated risk.  Presumably people are saying obesity because it correlates with diabetes.

Gunwharfman - CDC and NHS are treating this as droplet protocol for issue of PPE (mask, goggles). Not like measles where you are exhaling it in your breath, you need to cough, sneeze or wipe nose to move these larger droplets and pass it on to someone else.  However once sneeze/cough those larger droplets can persist in still air for quite a while.

In practical sense anyone coughing around you is a risk factor, as well as surface transfer.  Highly unlikely you'd have an issue with leaving car vents open.

Agree with everyone saying those without a car are going to have a hard time of it, both in getting supplies and actually getting out there.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 10:46:10, 18/03/20 »
Fernman - underlying health conditions at the moment seems to mean hypertension, COPD, type 2 diabetes and asthma for elevated risk.  Presumably people are saying obesity because it correlates with diabetes.

Thanks for the details, as well as the information in the rest of your post.
So I'm at risk with hypertension. I am assuming, though, that there can't many 70+ people who don't have raised blood pressure.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 10:59:08, 18/03/20 »
Thanks for the details, as well as the information in the rest of your post.
So I'm at risk with hypertension. I am assuming, though, that there can't many 70+ people who don't have raised blood pressure.

Exactly and that's main reason elderly are advised to stay at home, more underlying problems mean more risk of hospitalisation (still v possible it could be mild for people with these factors too though)

Might be worth having a read of the following and do some of the easy options to really reduce that risk as seems the gov have chosen an extended "suppression" strategy which is likely to last a very long time.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/high-blood-pressure-hypertension/treatment/
« Last Edit: 11:13:12, 18/03/20 by forgotmyoldpassword »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 12:25:02, 18/03/20 »
I know that Covid-19 is a serious issue that affects us all, and I am particularly worried about my mother, who is in her late 80's, but I am a bit disappointed that it has spilled over into the walking section of the forum.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 12:34:45, 18/03/20 »
I just take the view that it is important, our hobby may go to the wall this year and many people are not automatic believers in what we see hear and read. Personally I find the whole subject area very interesting especially because I am reading things from real people rather than from a Government information machine.

Skippy 2019

« Reply #25 on: 12:37:26, 18/03/20 »
I know that Covid-19 is a serious issue that affects us all, and I am particularly worried about my mother, who is in her late 80's, but I am a bit disappointed that it has spilled over into the walking section of the forum.

Agreed! I am in the at "risk" category although I don't get  paranoid.

I blame Facebook et al for all this!

Skippy 2019

« Reply #26 on: 12:41:22, 18/03/20 »
I just take the view that it is important, our hobby may go to the wall this year and many people are not automatic believers in what we see hear and read. Personally I find the whole subject area very interesting especially because I am reading things from real people rather than from a Government information machine.

Why go to the wall? Walking is the norm for homosapiens. Although certain individuals do push it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 12:48:02, 18/03/20 »
I was just thinking that if this situation gets really bad we might have to experience a complete shutdown? When politicians start using soundbites to explain something, 'war' is the latest one Then I tend to get suspicious of the rabbit hole they may lead us into?

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 12:51:29, 18/03/20 »
Personally I find the whole subject area very interesting especially because I am reading things from real people rather than from a Government information machine.
I've no problem with a healthy dose of skepticism but who are the 'real people' you talk about and how informed and wide-ranging is there knowledge of pandemics.
I'll stick with the advice of the Chief Medical Officer and the Chief Scientific Adviser. I'm not saying that they are infallible and, if you watch the news conferences, neither are they. If you can point me in the direction of more informed, impartial advice then I will be very interested to see it but if it is the blokes in your pub...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 12:53:47, 18/03/20 »

Why go to the wall? Walking is the norm for homosapiens. Although certain individuals do push it.
It's that or back up the trees folks!
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy