Author Topic: Osmotherly to Roseberry Topping  (Read 3668 times)

ukmase

• Veteran Member
Osmotherly to Roseberry Topping
« on: 12:22:04, 06/02/11 »
Osmotherly to Roseberry Topping is my favourite section of the Cleveland Way, so it seemed the obvious choice to restart my hiking adventures after a slow Christmas period.
The high winds of the previous night had dropped so off I trotted with Pepper my trusty walking partner. We gained height out of Osmotherly and were soon hiking along the escarpment of the North York Moors.
Dropping down from Carlton bank i popped to my favourite cafe for a breakfast bun. Lord stones cafe is a great place to stop for refreshments, the cafe is built into a rocky outcrop and is well worth a visit.
The Wainstones on Hasty bank are a hot spot for climbers but today a sea king helicopter was using it to practice flying manoeuvres. Pepper had her own tricks to practice and I taught her two new commands and she managed to walk past several sheep without tearing off in a mad frenzy.
The hike into Kildale took it’s toll on my legs and feet, I started to feel tired after 20 miles but I knew I was lacking fitness after my long flu lay off.
A lot of people where enjoying themselves around Captain Cooks monument especially Pepper who found a few dog friends to chase about. By the time I reached The car park near Roseberry Topping I was ready to call it a day and I was glad when Leanne turned up to take me home.
It took me exactly 9hrs to hike 25 miles with numerous ascents and descents. 3mph average is a good start considering there was 4776ft ascent. I took 3 – 15 minute breaks and carried a light pack. I am aiming to train myself to be able to handle a National Trail with a a daily mileage of 25+ miles per day.
Kit wise the inov8 320s fit well into the faster/longer approach. The race pro 30 pack is great as a day pack, i am still wondering if its big enough for thru hiking. The last thing I want to do is get sucked into the realms of the gram counters.

Pictures here http://ukmase.wordpress.com/2011/02/06/normal-service-resumed/

radder

• Veteran Member
Re: Osmotherly to Roseberry Topping
« Reply #1 on: 22:24:11, 09/02/11 »
Great write up Masey  O0

A great part of England and a area I've not been to since I did the Cleveland Way, But planning a seaside bash of around 25 miles around Robin Hoods Bay in April if your interested  O0 

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:53:07, 10/02/11 »
 O0 Sounds like a plan to me.

C2C10

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:46:41, 10/02/11 »
Nice one, good pic's and a nice walk it is too. I consider myself very lucky to live near the North Yorkshire Moors, yes, it's not so grim oop north or north-east to that matter.

The section you walked is about the best section on the Cleveland Way, superb views of Teesside ??? .

I'm using the Cleveland Way as part of my training walks for the Coast to Coast from Osmotherley to Robin Hood's Bay.

I have the Go-Lite Jam, about 50 litres. I like the idea of the Invo-8 320, any good.

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:19:56, 10/02/11 »
I have been really impressed with the pack especially if you consider the price. There are some really clever features that can be found on the inov8 website - my favourite is a keys clip inside one of the hip pockets.

8)

wildCAMPER

« Reply #5 on: 16:57:38, 12/06/17 »
@ukmase - think I'm going to attempt this section very soon - done it in parts over the years - but 25 mile in one seems like a decent challenge - cheers for the right up :-)

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:54:54, 12/06/17 »
We didn't get to Roseberry Topping (but I do know where/what it is now ;) ) but that section of C2C, as far as Clay Bank top, was my absolute favourite day of the whole trip, I think because it offers a bit of variety and if your lucky some fantastic views.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:24:06, 13/06/17 »
I like the dog pictures! O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy