Author Topic: Pennine Way ... day walks ... Byrness to Chew Green & back  (Read 747 times)

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
The walk continues...
Received positive info from doc's, so back out into the wilds!
Next leg from Byrness to Chew Green, which I'm advised is a toughie!
What a start! The uphill climb is very steep and involved a bit of rock climbing and some serious bogs.
Once above crags the views are superb on a beautiful clear day as this, although the route ahead is climbs and bog dancing all the way to Ravens Knowe.
The 'Way' has been visited by what appears to be motor & quad bikes churning up path and seems to follow tracks made by tractors, which led me down the wrong track although easily found way it did involve being on the wrong side of Otterburn Ranges warning signs. Not much sign of animal life up here, apart from a few small birds and a fox, so peaceful!
Chew Green could be seen ahead and must have been impressive back in the day, although when you arrive across Coquet River it is immediately noticeable the Romans did a good job with drainage... no bogs!
Arrived at sign for Dere Street/Pennine Way so time to go back.
Managed to find correct path, including boarding, but was now struggling up those hills, thinking I've got the worst to come down the steep descent. Thought about a detour down to lower forrest track, visible as trees all cut down, something I wish I had done in hindsight.
Heavy legs were carefully placed on descent, a lot of people seemed to have slid down mud banks.
Back to car and I realised this is the only section of Pennine Way where I've never met any fellow walkers.
Challenging! After getting well rested, looking for next decent day to go from Chew Green up to Lamb Hill ...
Less than 15 miles to go to the Schil then northern half completed!
« Last Edit: 17:17:46, 18/09/19 by Dodgylegs »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy