Author Topic: Joss Naylor at 80  (Read 2443 times)

Skip

• Veteran Member
Joss Naylor at 80
« on: 07:24:16, 23/06/16 »
Here's a chance to run with legendary Wasdale fellrunner Joss Naylor.

Joss is 80 this year and to celebrate he'll be running for charity from Caldbeck to Wasdale Head this weekend, a route of 30-odd miles.

More details are here on Grough and timings are here on Brathay

If any of you are in the lake District on Saturday, Joss is inviting people to join him on any of the sections.

Skip

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Joss Naylor at 80
« Reply #1 on: 12:42:48, 24/06/16 »
I was recently reading his incredible autobiography, outlining some of his incredible exploits.
I cannot recollect how many lakes, or waters there are in the entire Lake District,i think its around 20, but in a superhuman effort, he dipped his feet in every single one of them, in a continuous endurance run.
He did not take any rest, it was a start to finish record attempt.

Likewise, he touched every single Wainwright summit, over a continuous six day run, mostly in 30C heatwave temperatures.

Most men approaching their eightieth birthday, would be taking it easy, but not Joss Naylor.

The late Chris Brasher knew Joss well, and he said that had fell running been an Olympic event, no other competitor alive would have had a chance at lifting the gold medel.

In the late 1970s early 1980s, Joss Naylor was pushing the boundaries of what was considered possible in ultra distance fell running.

Happy birthday Joss, and lets hope your attempting another endurance event at your 90th birthday.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:07:55, 24/06/16 »
I was in Wasdale in early May and saw him and his one of his dogs' on a quad bike. It made my day.  

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:50:29, 24/06/16 »
I bumped into him at Dore Head a few weeks ago and we chatted for 5 minutes about foxes and sheep. Lovely down to earth bloke.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:16:31, 25/06/16 »
I bumped into him at Dore Head a few weeks ago and we chatted for 5 minutes about foxes and sheep. Lovely down to earth bloke.

How's his back nowadays?

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:40:21, 25/06/16 »
How's his back nowadays?

didn't appear to be slowing him down

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:31:21, 07/07/16 »
Regarding his back, that's a very emotive subject with Joss.
If one reads his incredible autobiography, it was his mother who was mainly responsible for his severe back pain.
He does not go into specific details, but his mother pushed him, resulting in him landing on his back on a concrete floor.

He remained in hospital for several weeks, and had two discs removed from his spine, resulting in his crouched posture, and constant back pain, a pain he has endured for over sixty years.

Obviously his pain threshhold is considerable, as doctors thought he would never walk agian, let alone run 275 miles of the Pennine Way in just over three days.

There are few true Cumbrians who have not heard of Joss, he is just as famous as Alfred Wainwright.

« Last Edit: 16:35:22, 07/07/16 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy