Author Topic: Which Smart phone mapping is best?  (Read 7071 times)

Literary Gal

Which Smart phone mapping is best?
« on: 09:04:11, 04/08/19 »
I like to read paper maps when out walking, occasionally there is a time while on a walk when I've misplaced where I am on a map or I've gone wrong. I would like to be able to look on my smartphone to see where I actually am and then get back on track with my paper map. Which app do you recommend please?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Which Smart phone mapping is best?
« Reply #1 on: 09:14:10, 04/08/19 »
ViewRanger. You can buy maps for it but it also comes with free mapping and will do what you want.
Where there's a will ...

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:00:02, 04/08/19 »
ViewRanger is always voted the tops in similar threads on here, but it is not available on my prehistoric Windows Phone.

Reading your post carefully, perhaps all you want is an app that will show your current grid reference?

Virtually the only app with OS mapping I can get on my phone is one called GeoGPS, this displays your grid ref and additionally your position on a map, but, and it's a big but, it needs wifi to work!

This leaves me with a far better app for giving my position, which is GPS to Grid Ref. I have no idea if it is available for Android and iPhone. It works from the phone's built-in gps and it will work anywhere, even when there is no signal. When you do have a signal it will additionally show your position on an OS map, but I have found that's not a lot of use because when you pinch out the map to see it better, it moves off centre.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:06:42, 04/08/19 »
Alternatively OS have their own mapping app which requires an annual subscription but its default display is the same as the paper map you are using
Solvitur Ambulando

Literary Gal

« Reply #4 on: 11:47:44, 04/08/19 »
I'm looking for a mapping app which pinpoints my location on an oline OS map on my phone so I can then refer back to a paper OS map. I like paper maps, I'm not technical at all so prefer to have the phone app as a backup.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:03:05, 04/08/19 »
Both ViewRanger and the OS app recommended will do this, as fernman's suggestion will give you a grid reference just without the map on the phone screen it's also probably good enough for your needs?

Literary Gal

« Reply #6 on: 12:43:48, 04/08/19 »
As I now have View Ranger without any subscriptions to maps on my phone. Are you saying that subscriping the £25 a year would work as my backup? Is there any disadvantages to View Ranger over OS?

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:46:31, 04/08/19 »
Yes it would if you want all the maps or you can purchase the maps for the areas you walk in not sure of the price difference.

Most people prefer ViewRanger to the OS app. The only disadvantage I can think of is when I've bought maps they have a scratch off code so you can use them with the OS app for free.

Literary Gal

« Reply #8 on: 12:50:17, 04/08/19 »
Thanks Rob, I will look into buying an area for starters, didn't realise that was possible. I really do need to get more technical too.

Literary Gal

« Reply #9 on: 13:06:15, 04/08/19 »
I don't see where I can get OS maps for free on View Ranger? With the free app, it states I need to upgrade to Premium..... Then there is Premium + Maps..... Which will work. Premium is £4.99 a year. Premium + is £4.99 a month?

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:10:38, 04/08/19 »
It's the OS app that allows you to use the scratch codes to get the maps for free. I don't know how much ViewRanger is monthly I've got a yearly subscription to both ViewRanger and OS mapping and if I recall they're both £25 a year. In the future I will only keep the ViewRanger subscription, I got the OS one for their 3D view but ViewRanger does something similar now too.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:13:07, 04/08/19 »
I actually use both, but for different purposes
Viewranger for my phone and publishing routes. I download a tile at a time mostly, so I just get what I need. I used a free trial of the premium subscription to get VGN maps in France a few week ago and that was great.
OS for printing maps. Viewranger scales them, which I don't want.
« Last Edit: 13:40:29, 04/08/19 by archaeoroutes »
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:14:26, 04/08/19 »
Oh yes I've printed with OS maps too now. Maybe I will keep it after all!

motorlaunch

« Reply #13 on: 14:01:23, 04/08/19 »
If you have an android phone I would go for Back Country Navigator. The app costs £8 and any map sections you download are free. It provides os maps for the uk down to 1:25000 scale. There is  free version which you can use for 2 weeks to see if you like it before having to payout any money. Worth a try if you have an android phone.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 15:52:35, 04/08/19 »
I too use Backcountry on my Android phone, never let me down yet, OS maps as well.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy