Author Topic: Haix high liability British army boots - Beasts! Early review  (Read 8742 times)

Ronin83

Been updating some footwear recently and bought some haix British army boots, lightly used from eBay, which will be my winter/muddy wet boots.
Ive only wacked some of my own used drscholls in them and tried them on at home so far, but damn they seem good.

Sizing...
Im officially a size 8, but not many shoes are comfy at that size. Running trainers seem mostly good at 8.5, boots I generally go for 9 now. I like toe room both length wise and width wise.
The problem with getting 9s in leather walking boots is that I find the foot/heel doesn't hold. In a size 8 it does hold, but my toes are squeezed.
I got size 9M(also available in W)
With these they, at first, seem great. Loads of toe room, good foot/heel hold thanks to the innovative, if not unorthodox, lacing system. At the ankle section there are D rings which snap shut and lock the laces to that point. Then theres options like a D ring on the tongue and a loop on the back so you can wrap the laces around the whole boot.
Id say the sizing is more traditional than most boots nowdays I've tried, which seem to have become smaller.
So if you like a tighter fit, go for your size, looser, go for a size up and adjust with insoles and lacing. The mediums are fairly wide.
For comparison, I had size 8M altberg defenders which were loose on heel/foot, squeezed my toes and were a tad short.

Details...
They feel strong and tough, but do have an easy flex on the forefoot. Not so great if you like a stiff front section for toeing? uphill, but good for a natural roll, foot flex and long distance comfort(too stiff and I find my feet atrophy a bit).
The rubber Rand comes up high on the toes and runs all the way around.
I think they'll last.

This is early days so I haven't tested their performance, waterproofing or durability. I'll return with updates after summer when the weather gets rough.
I hope this helps for people considering grabbing an army boots bargain from eBay, atleast with the quality, lacing, details and fit/sizing.

Ronin83

UPDATE:

In the end I actually changed these for a size 8M, which I got brand new.
Ive used them properly now on a few walks in winter. Currently I have the volume reducer and a pair of Dr schools gel insoles in them. I could probs get away without the reducers especially on a long walk where feet swell, but so far so good on 5-7 miles. Been in serious mud and snow etc. Just washed them and waiting for a delivery of some haix polish which haix recommend instead of wax.

For a high heavy boot with gtx AND sweat wicking lining they are surprisingly breathable. As with most boots the insoles supplied are good for staying dry and drying fast but useless for cushioning, so theyre out for now.

Overall great boots so far for muddy winter walks. British military boots are really good nowdays, you just have to find your size. As previously mentioned these are, I'd say, a generous fit. Id advise to get your usual shoe size in these.

HikeMike

Hi  :)

Still waterproof? How do you rate these versus the Defenders?

Ronin83

Hi, Yes they are.
I only use them for autumn winter though.

Here's my review on YouTube...
https://youtu.be/0OYxjYyEDls

Well, the real comparison is which one fits u better. They're both great boots. I did find the defenders a bit slippery on hard wet surfaces tho.

GnP

• Veteran Member
Hi, Yes they are.

https://youtu.be/0OYxjYyEDls

Well, the real comparison is which one fits u better. They're both great boots. I did find the defenders a bit slippery on hard wet surfaces tho.
I like the look of the Haix, but how much breaking in do they need ?...could someone put a pair on and walk ten mile?
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Ronin83

Well personally I'd never do that with a new pair of boots. Maybe you could, depends on your feet.
Always best to break in gradually, adjust fit with insoles and space reducers as required and play around with lacing a bit.
They are tough boots so in a nutshell I'd say yes they need breaking in. For me it wasn't a lot.
For long distance I'd prefer my lowa renegades. Maybe this will change as the haix become more and more worn in, I dunno

GnP

• Veteran Member
Well personally I'd never do that with a new pair of boots. Maybe you could, depends on your feet.
Always best to break in gradually, adjust fit with insoles and space reducers as required and play around with lacing a bit.
They are tough boots so in a nutshell I'd say yes they need breaking in. For me it wasn't a lot.
For long distance I'd prefer my lowa renegades. Maybe this will change as the haix become more and more worn in, I dunno
Thanks for that
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

HikeMike

Hi, Yes they are.

[see above for link]

Nice video review  O0  I’ve read the Defender soles wear quick too. I think I’d be inclined towards the Warrior with the better Masai sole.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Boots can be strange things! I recently bought a brand new pair of all leather Berghaus Superlites and because it was raining this morning I thought I'd better give them a proper day out, so picked on the wettest and muddiest hike that I could think of in my local area.

I laced my boots, put on my gaiters and decided to wear my Vaude Poncho, it rained all of the time when I was walking. At the end of my walk, my feet and the rest of me were perfectly dry even though I had to walk through loads of wet grass as well and some really wet and muddy sections, one section of mud was over 100 yards long.

About a mile away back to my car I became aware that my left heel was feeling painful, upon investigation I could see that my heel skin was bright red, in fact, red raw. My right heel was perfect, comfortable and no problem at all. I'm now trying to work out why one heel had this problem and the other one didn't?

TomD

I've had a pair of these for the last year.  And once worn in they were very comfy.  Kept my feet dry and warm all winter.  Although walks with young kids haven't really tested their full potential.

However despite polishing with Haix polish relatively recently when i wore them walking through a few fields of wet grass earlier this week I ended up with very wet feet.  Have applied more polish and just taken them for another spin in some long wet grass.  Same result.  wetness begins from roughly the point just above where the tongue meets the leather toe part and extends down the top of my foot a few inches.. 

has anyone got any advise?  I bought them surplus (although virtually unworn) so have  they just reached the end of their life?  Or do I need to retreet the gortex part that runs across the bottom of the tongue somehow?  Or is it something else?

Ronin83

Damn sorry to hear that. Its always a possibility when there's an area which isn't leather, but it's rare for haix to fail like that.
There are products to refresh the gtx lining, but I'd spray the cordura areas with a waterproofing spray regularly and if that fails just put some wax on it. Beeswax like gwax or meindl sport wax will do it. It will darken the material, but who cares right?

TomD

Thanks for the advise, thats really helpful.  I have some Nikwax I'll use on the Cordura parts where it seems to be leaking and if that doesn't work I've got some Fjall Raven and Barbour waxes I an try.  Really like these boots, and they seem harder to get than when I bought my pair, so determined not to give up on them yet!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy