Author Topic: The 12 Pins/Bens, Connemara - route advice sought  (Read 2553 times)

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
I shall be spending a week in Connemara in the middle of July and would like to do some walking in the 12 Pins/Bens whilst there. Having not been before I'd like some advice on good routes. Ideally horseshoe/circular routes upto about 10 miles in length. Suggestions on good walking guide books for the area would also be welcome. I'm going to buy the Harvey map of the area so I can study it in some detail.

Suggestions for routes in the Maumturks would also be welcome. O0
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

Highs and Lows

• Veteran Member
Re: The 12 Pins/Bens, Connemara - route advice sought
« Reply #1 on: 23:30:35, 09/03/12 »
I once did the Glencoaghan Horseshoe in the 12 Bens, starting and finishing by the Ben Lettery youth hostel on the N 59.

I remember it being quite rough going in places with a lot of ascent/descent and navigation a bit tricky under poor visibility. It was a fine walk though and despite it being the middle of summer and not a bad day for it, and that youth hostel was fully booked (I stayed at Clifden the night before)...I did not see another person during the walk.

I have got a book (Lonely Planet Walking in Ireland), with a route description of this walk.
I didn't find the mountains - the mountains found me

https://www.flickr.com/photos/some_photos_by_jim

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
Re: The 12 Pins/Bens, Connemara - route advice sought
« Reply #2 on: 18:51:44, 11/03/12 »
Since starting this thread I've bought a couple of books, one detailing the Glencoaghan Horseshoe. Looks a fine route and one I'd like to do, just hope we get the weather for it. O0
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy