Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 573290 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #2040 on: 19:51:59, 01/04/17 »
There's always cake ;-)
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2041 on: 20:50:19, 01/04/17 »
I walked the Seven Sisters and Beachy Head to Eastbourne today.  I've recently been doing a lot of walks in the Sussex Weald and much though I enjoyed them it was great being back on the South Downs.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2042 on: 21:05:47, 01/04/17 »
I walked the Seven Sisters and Beachy Head to Eastbourne today.  I've recently been doing a lot of walks in the Sussex Weald and much though I enjoyed them it was great being back on the South Downs.

I'll be walking the South Downs Way in 3 weeks, is it muddy? lol
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2043 on: 21:41:05, 01/04/17 »
I'll be walking the South Downs Way in 3 weeks, is it muddy? lol

It wasn't where I walked today!  The downland paths can get muddy but unless we get a lot of rain I shouldn't think you'll encounter much   :)   

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2044 on: 19:48:50, 08/04/17 »
I walked on the South Downs from Bishopstone near Seaford to Exceat today, taking in Alfriston and the hill of High and Over.  Wonderful views and it was warm and sunny    :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2045 on: 08:47:52, 09/04/17 »
Lovely walk yesterday.  I had no particular plan.  Parked near the Jamaica Inn and just set off, such a glorious day.  I finally visited King Arher's Hall.  What a strange place that is.  I have seen literally thousands of Neolithic sites over the years wandering the moors, but nothing remotely similar to that wonderful place. (Nothing to do with King Arther  strangely, some one just made that association up, several hundred years ago and it has stuck). So much for not planning a route. I had to strip down to my pants at one point to cross a river.  Probably too much information there.  ;D  Any way it was a good walk and I got back to my little sports car after dark, then enjoyed the stars roof down as I journeyed home.  A good day on the moors.  O0

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2046 on: 10:12:52, 09/04/17 »
Only to the shops ☹️I am nursing the wife after an op and we have beautiful weather in Wales at the moment and that doesn't last

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2047 on: 10:24:44, 09/04/17 »
Stunning Saturday spent walking and scrambling on Cadair Idris

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2048 on: 13:29:19, 09/04/17 »
Stunning Saturday spent walking and scrambling on Cadair Idris

Similarly a superb day in the Southern Rhinogs yesterday. Had to clear frost off the car windscreen in the morning but when I returned to the car late afternoon it was 21C. In the last hour low cloud has drifted in, the temperature has dropped like a stone and I can only just make out the outline of Foel Ispri opposite at 1000ft.

rincewind

« Reply #2049 on: 14:00:57, 09/04/17 »
 Camped on top of Helvellyn last night , up striding edge and back downswirrel edge . Great day

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2050 on: 18:48:03, 09/04/17 »
I did a circular walk yesterday from Skidby East Yorkshire, to Beverley. It was lovely, lots of nice people to stop and chat to, 11 miles.

Ilona

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2051 on: 10:59:26, 10/04/17 »
Mostly try to walk during the the week now I don't pursue any gainful employment. But I did a walk yesterday, on t'Sabbath wasn't it, good time to get across a bit of open ground when there might be folk around with nothing better to do than call after me "Hoy what are yow doing there!". On the topic I have been looking at lostways and the effects of areas without rights of way called Xzones or Black Holes I was curious about a break in the natural line of 'Off Road' that seemed to exist between Newport, Shropshire and Shrewsbury shown in a map I posted here  , it is the break in the line of travel to the east and is the area of the WW2 airfield of High Ercall. An old footpath was not reinstated by the War Dept. Lazy load of booggers. Anyway there was about a mile runway and other tarmac of vintage grade which gave me a very blustery insight into the geography of that area and why it should be suitable for a war time airfield. Reading some of the history on line I gather most of the runways were ripped up, but some left for access to hangers that still remain. Actually there is enough of those, which are still there, to provide a very good route across from Walton to Moortown except for about 200 yards short of Moortown, where there is two farms and the start of a right of way that provides a good mile of cross country to a crossing of the A442 near Waters Upton.

Some information on Shropshire airfield;
http://shropshirehistory.com/military/airfields.htm

I took an interest in the rather attractive farm buildings, classic agricultural Revolution, when estates invested in the infrastructure of agriculture to get rental incomes from good tenancies and I got talking to the retired farmer, who lives at the Chestnuts, one of the two farms. He recognised me though I have been out of the Shropshire agricultural scene for more that 30 years. Having been very friendly with one of his cousins, it was easy to get a bit of local gossip. Most of the his land is let off, so the work is done by contractors for farmers running much larger farming operations, I find this useful to know as the 'worker in the field' or machine operator will be disinterested in a walker, using field margins and farm tracks.

This farmer was an owner/occupier, descendant of the tenant, who bought the farm from an estate after WW1, to pay off death duties. I think he told be the name of the estate was Buckley, though I was not too sure when I got back to the car and a pen and paper to makes notes. More important details like what I might get away with in the area as far as additional access was prime in my mind and not the name of some old pharts who lost their land. Still they had some pretty little embellishments which can be seen on the link through their name.

« Last Edit: 11:09:00, 10/04/17 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2052 on: 21:24:57, 10/04/17 »
Somewhere on Anglesey 8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Louwoo

« Reply #2053 on: 23:58:31, 10/04/17 »
Finally got round to doing the Horseshoe path up Pen Y Fan from the Upper Neuadd Reservoir. Fantastic day!
Peaks 2017: Pen Y Fan, Corn Du, Cribyn, Tor Y Foel, Blorenge, Skirrid.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2054 on: 00:11:14, 11/04/17 »
Finally got round to doing the Horseshoe path up Pen Y Fan from the Upper Neuadd Reservoir. Fantastic day!

That's a lovely walk.  Did it with my son back in early December, bitter cold wind I recall, but what a crisp sunny day.  Did you get up to the rock on Fan Y Big on the way?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy