Author Topic: The Lake District  (Read 929 times)

BackpackingBen

The Lake District
« on: 17:04:28, 03/08/19 »
The Lake District is one of my favourite places to walk, I went backpacking there in april, I was wondering if anyone has any nice wild camping spots around there as im going there later this year?

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: The Lake District
« Reply #1 on: 19:20:20, 03/08/19 »
I was wondering if anyone has any nice wild camping spots

Careful with that question, it's been discussed many times on this and other forums over the years, sometimes heatedly. Generally, particularly good spots are not recommended or mentioned, once everybody knows them they are obviously not good any more.
The great pleasure is finding your own secluded spot on whichever route you walk.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:40:28, 03/08/19 »
Totally agree with vghikers. Part of the pleasure of wild camping is the feeling of independence and remoteness, accentuated by finding your own perfect spot without following the herd. A tiny, improbable pitch on the bouldery shores of a remote lochan in the Cairngorms (alt 1000m) being a recent example.

Sorry if this sounds unhelpful; that is not my intent. Study maps, even satellite images, and take a gamble on some improbable spot high up in the hills; that way you will get the maximum reward.

PS - a genuine welcome to the forum. :)
« Last Edit: 19:50:02, 03/08/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:49:28, 03/08/19 »
Having said that - check out April's Lake District trip reports for inspiration; she's a regular wild camper. By regular I mean pretty much every weekend.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:56:39, 03/08/19 »
I forgot to say the obvious: we have plenty Lakes trips on our site to give some general ideas, as do others posting their reports here. Plenty of choice  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy