Author Topic: TR - Pennine Way  (Read 12962 times)

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Pennine Way
« Reply #30 on: 22:11:51, 14/09/20 »
Their website shows "Rest assured that The Buck welcome muddy boots" - however it doesn't mention the people wearing them!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 22:45:18, 14/09/20 »
Their website shows "Rest assured that The Buck welcome muddy boots" - however it doesn't mention the people wearing them!
;D

At £4.60 a pint they welcome those with large wallets. I'm still in shock 2 weeks later.
To be fair they never said a thing as we turned their pub in to an impromptu drying room.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 07:18:35, 15/09/20 »
Those people from Hull sound slightly dodgy if you ask me  ;)

The pub must be used to people coming in with muddy boots on. Perhaps that is why it is £4.60 a pint, to pay for the clean up afterward?  ;)
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 08:23:26, 15/09/20 »
DAY 6 – 28th August 2020
Malham to Horton in Ribblesdale
16.65 miles 26.8km
8.55am to 3.20pm

We had asked for an early breakfast and been told this wouldn’t be a problem. It may not have been a problem for the person we talked to yesterday but the cook this morning wasn’t impressed. I don’t feel it was my fault that the message wasn’t passed on.

Rain, wind and cloud were very much the order of the day today.

Climbing up to the top of the cove in the wind I had no desire to go anywhere near the edge.

Today it really felt as if we had travelled a long way as I remembered much of the early part of the walk from holidays then I was young.

Past the tarn we met one of the people we had seen at our accommodation in Diggle and then another PW walker who we later found out was called Charlie.
Fountains Fell was deep in cloud, very windy and the heavily waterlogged path not actually going over the top made it all feel a bit strange. We dropped down, and out of the cloud to be greeted by Pen-y-ghent.

As we were leaving the road to start the walk-in to the bottom of the hill Charlie caught up with us and we walked and talked, a really nice, sociable young guy. We pulled ahead of him on the climb up to the very very windy summit where we clung together for a picture.

I hadn’t realised until we headed to it that the Pen-y-ghent cafe has been closed for 2 years.
We were staying at the Golden Lion which was having to turn people away they were so busy. It was the start of the bank holiday weekend. Rob suddenly remembered that he had been there about 18 months ago camping next to the pub with some friends. Did he recall the hills or even the names of the places, no it was the interior of the bar which triggered his memory.
« Last Edit: 08:28:01, 15/09/20 by Ridge »

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 10:01:24, 15/09/20 »
Really enjoying your TR. Perfect balance of super photos with concise, informative text and humour.
Though, with the probability of weather as you enjoyed I know why the PW has not figured high on my to-do list.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 10:21:39, 15/09/20 »
;D

At £4.60 a pint they welcome those with large wallets. I'm still in shock 2 weeks later.
To be fair they never said a thing as we turned their pub in to an impromptu drying room.
HOW MUCH?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 10:30:47, 15/09/20 »
Though, with the probability of weather as you enjoyed I know why the PW has not figured high on my to-do list.
We've not got the worst weather yet, it was wonderful Jac, do it.

HOW MUCH?
Quite. No danger of becoming an alcoholic in Malham.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 11:37:31, 15/09/20 »
HOW MUCH?
Gee Ridge £4.60 a pint. My heart went into fluttering, the pacemaker did its job. I wonder how many readers are now filling cardiac wards.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 12:28:37, 15/09/20 »
Anyone else that I tell about the Pennine Way are shocked by the distance, terrain and the weather we encountered.
With other walkers it is the price of beer which has people taken aback.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 12:58:54, 15/09/20 »
I’d be shocked about the weather if you said it was blue sky and sunshine all the way!  ;D
All our non-walker friends and acquaintances can never understand how a LDW is actually a holiday that we enjoy. You’re never going to shock anyone on this forum with the terrain, distance and weather, if you do they're on the wrong forum!
Quirky accommodation in Malham - not Miresfield Farm was it?

Note to self, don't be too rude about the odd people we met on our way to Dufton.
That wasn’t the day you met up with April and beefy was it?  ;D

Warbler

« Reply #40 on: 13:14:23, 15/09/20 »
I’m enjoying the journey so far Ridge. Seeing some of the weather you had compared to my walk in the south east last week, seems like a different country.
Them Hull folk are a simple breed……but happy.
 I should know, I lived the first 23 years of my life there  ;D

Those people from Hull sound slightly dodgy if you ask me  ;)

Oi! Less of the slightly  :o

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 14:43:43, 15/09/20 »
Quirky accommodation in Malham - not Miresfield Farm was it?
How did you guess? We were originally staying in the YHA but, with them closed, I was glad to find places open that did not break the bank.

That wasn’t the day you met up with April and beefy was it?  ;D
No, some other strange forum people.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 15:19:29, 15/09/20 »
How did you guess?
We actually stayed there 33 years ago when our daughter was a baby and we walked with her in a backpack. We went back a few years later with our son as well. So we had to stay there when walking the Pennine Way! I don’t think it had changed much in those years, certainly needs updating, but it was at least clean which is the main thing.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 15:42:43, 15/09/20 »
We actually stayed there 33 years ago
It did feel like nothing had changed, or much done to the property, for about 33 years.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 16:07:26, 15/09/20 »
DAY 7 – 29th August 2020
Horton in Ribblesdale to Hawes
15.44 miles 24.84km
8.50am to 2.10pm

A dry day today but a strong, cold wind.

I know that people doing the Yorkshire 3 Peaks are raising valuable funds for worthwhile charities, and as we too were also effectively on a sponcered walk I can't really complain, but we were glad to leave the large, noisy groups in matching pink Tshirts behind as we headed north.

Great views of Ingleborough and the Ribblehead viaduct.

As we headed towards Sell Gill Hole we saw a stoat playing along a dry-stone wall.

With not a huge distance to walk today we pressed on rather than stopping for lunch.

We just managed to get to the fish and chip shop in Hawes before they closed. We bought some food and beer for the evening but were then at a bit of a loose end. When there were a few drops of rain we went up to the YHA and dozed in the entrance until it was time to check in.

This was the only youth hostel which was open on the whole route. It was very strange to be there and socially distancing as they are normally such sociable places. I wonder if we missed out a little on the camaraderie on the walk.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy