Author Topic: Coombe Door  (Read 1421 times)

Bill Harker

Coombe Door
« on: 21:49:02, 10/10/19 »
Hello All,

I've been walking for a lot of years but have only just come across this forum.

I am planning my upcoming Lake District visit and this year am based at Rosthwaite. The area is not new to me but I fancied having a go at walking up Coombe Gill and out of the top to Coombe Gill Head, Glaramara and beyond, but I can't find much about getting out of the top of Coombe Gill. It looks like a bit of a scramble but does anyone have experience of that direct route and not the side routes via Tarn of Leaves, Rosthwaite Cam or Thornythwaite Fell. I've done those before.

I look forward to hearing.

Bill

Percy

• Veteran Member
Re: Coombe Door
« Reply #1 on: 07:44:30, 11/10/19 »
It’s a bit of a scramble in parts at the upper end of the Gill but nothing too difficult. This report has excellent photos showing a route:

http://www.stridingedge.net/walks/6876/

Bill Harker

« Reply #2 on: 09:11:01, 11/10/19 »
Thank you Percy.  That's brilliant.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:35:42, 11/10/19 »
Welcome to the forum, Bill.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:39:06, 11/10/19 »
It’s a bit of a scramble in parts at the upper end of the Gill but nothing too difficult. This report has excellent photos showing a route:

http://www.stridingedge.net/walks/6876/

Haven't visited that site for some time, had forgotten how superb the photos are, especially the dogs - just beautiful.

P.S. Welcome Bill :)
« Last Edit: 11:27:09, 11/10/19 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:39:14, 11/10/19 »
Welcome from Manchester  :)

Having spent many excellent days around the Glaramara ridge, the route directly up Coombe Gill is one of the few lines we have not tried, looks interesting.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:14:58, 11/10/19 »
The Striding Edge site is very useful. I have never done this particular route. It does look interesting!
Hate will never win

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:00:15, 11/10/19 »
That looks like a very interesting route. The photos on the striding edge website were fantastic, as were the dogs.

snoopdawg

« Reply #8 on: 19:05:51, 11/10/19 »
Done Coombe door several times. I usually from the top of the door continue straight on with a bit of a buttress on your right then when it breaks go through the break and continue across to Glaramara. The walk into coomb gill is a bit spoilt now with a vehicle track for the hydro into the coomb

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy