Author Topic: Advice on tour du mont blanc?  (Read 3386 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Advice on tour du mont blanc?
« Reply #15 on: 14:42:54, 23/02/19 »
Another couple of tips. On your second day, (unless you are very slow) and if walking anticlockwise from Les Houche, you will walk downhill to a lage grassy area with a restaurant. To hike on you will have to veer left and walk along a narrow road for a few miles then into Italy. The last time I was at this spot it was totally free camping. I also got 'stung' as well! I met a fellow hiker about 5km before getting to this place and we both set up camp near to each other. Then we both went to the restaurant for a meal and because it was a warm balmy evening we both sat outside. I had a 3 course, he just had a burger and frites. Unbeknown to me, everytime he went to the toilet inside the restaurant, he ordered another large beer and told the waiter to put it on my tab! Just before I asked for my bill he made an excuse that he needed to get back to his tent to do something. He managed to get three down his neck before I realised what was going on. When I got back to my tent he had already packed all his gear and had moved on. I never saw him again.

If you do walk the route anti clockwise, a couple of km's after passing Chamonix on your way back to Les Houche you will find another Refuge. To the rear of it there are a number of half circle stone 'walls,' great for pitching your tent and free! That's what I did, then had my meal and beer in the Refuge. Also, a fantastic view from the Refuge veranda.

The Wondering Wanderer

« Reply #16 on: 18:34:30, 23/02/19 »
I hate that people do this kind of thing to each other. I suppose no matter where you go there will be jerks about.
But one of the things I love about the hiking community is that decent people seem to far outnumber people like this.

I'm going to have to start drafting up a rough itinerary and putting all these recommendations in as notes. I don't think I'll be able to fit them all in. But I'll have them there to refer to as I go.

It seems like so far away but I just know it'll roll around in no time. Need to start getting in more practice hikes.
I'm wondering about wandering and wonder where I might wander if I wander while I wonder.

The Wondering Wanderer

« Reply #17 on: 21:34:55, 03/07/19 »
Hi Everyone.
Been a long time since I posted anything.
I come on to read stuff often enough but rarely is my limited experience worthy of comment.

The date of my first multiday international hike is fast approaching and I've been making some more preparations.
I was booking a campsite in advance as I thought, for my rest day in Courmayeur I'd glamp in semi luxury.
Whilst doing so I discovered I'm going to be in Courmayeur for some celtic festival. Does anyone have any experience of this?
Is it something to look forward to or should I dread the crowds?
I'm going up the cable car for my day off so won't be in town the whole day anyway.
Just thought I'd ask if anyone knows what to expect?

Thanks.
I'm wondering about wandering and wonder where I might wander if I wander while I wonder.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 17:05:24, 04/07/19 »
When I arrived in Courmayeur on my Tour du Mont Blanc circuit I had just missed a festival, can't remember what it was about but the town was being cleaned up at the time. It was very nice just sitting in the sun outside a cafe watching all the work going on. By the time I arrived at Champex I was able to join the crowds watching the last world cup on the campsite open-air TV. A righteous, happy and boozy evening (with food provided by the campsite owners, not free but cheap) and I'm a person who doesn't even like football! I've been in other towns when festivals have been on, Tour du France pass-throughs, car hill climbing events, Macadam street ski-racing, 10K runs and all of the razzmatazz that goes with it and have really enjoyed them. I find that people get really friendly and want to communicate on such occasions. I don't know if it still goes on but years ago locals used to organise a rollerblading Friday night 'tour' around the streets of Paris. That was fun! I was only an onlooker at the time of course, I didn't know how to rollerblade, but I learned later when my son was little and we used to do it in our local area. I wonder if I could still do a figure of eight? The best festival for me was in Sarlat in the Dordogne, lots of street theatre, mime artists, music, singing, finger foods and so on.

dank86

« Reply #19 on: 14:42:48, 07/07/19 »
I'm in Courmayuer now and it's the end of the celtica festival. Festival all about Celts it seems.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 14:49:35, 07/07/19 »
The next stretch is great (if you have good weather and if I remember it correctly) and you will eventually arrive at the Refuge Bonatti, buy a beer and enjoy the splendour of the landscape.

dank86

« Reply #21 on: 14:52:52, 07/07/19 »
Yea it looks easier for a few days now, I'm camping the tour so the extra weight and the heat has been a bit tough on the legs, my original plan went out the window but thankfully I had back up plans if I was behind schedule

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 17:34:21, 07/07/19 »
The day from Courmayer was maybe my favourite day. I had very clear skies and my first real sighting of Mont Blanc, truly a "wow" moment. The climb up from Courmayer was a steep one but just after Rifugio Bertone you have a choice of paths and a great photo opportunity if the weather is clear.

You can go up high but I took the lovely signposted level walk to Rifugio Bonatti on great paths with unspoilt views of Mont Blanc and the Jorasses. The view from the seats outside the Rifugio were truly amazing.

I could have sat there all day but I was heading on to La Fouly (long day to fit a schedule)
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

dank86

« Reply #23 on: 17:36:53, 07/07/19 »
I'm thinking I'm going to have to push to la fouly as well because I'm camping. The only campsite (apart from wild) seem really close and would leave a big day to la fouly any way. I've been told finding a wild place isnt easy as well... Will just have to see what tomorrow brings

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 18:35:45, 07/07/19 »
I always remember the campsite at La Fouly because it was full of caravans and cars from the Netherlands. I never did find out why?

dank86

« Reply #25 on: 18:36:38, 07/07/19 »
I'll report back if it's the same lol

The Wondering Wanderer

« Reply #26 on: 03:14:14, 09/07/19 »
I'm in Courmayuer now and it's the end of the celtica festival. Festival all about Celts it seems.

I wonder if there's another festival then?

The 1st campsite I tried to book said they were sold out because of a celtic festival. This is around 7th September.

It doesn't really matter though. I'll be there, festival or not. I'm sure I'll enjoy myself either way.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy