Author Topic: Goodbye.  (Read 2836 times)

Pitboot

Goodbye.
« on: 14:52:35, 20/05/20 »
Nit picking, politics, trolling, all of the reasons I am leaving this site. Goodbye.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Goodbye.
« Reply #1 on: 15:23:44, 20/05/20 »
You've written three words to say why you are leaving the site but you have written nothing to explain them? I personally don't know what you mean by nitpicking or trolling, those two words just don't compute or mean anything in my head, to me they are just part of being a human being, what people do or don't do. I'm sure I nitpick but I'm never really sure what trolling is? I don't think I do it but you never know! As for politics, again for me, it's very much part of the reality of everyday life, we cannot escape it in some form or other even if we tried or wanted to. For me personally, the reason why politics is important for me today on the Forum is that Covid-19 has seriously interfered with the hobby I love and I want to know and understand more about it. I want to know what real people think and then be able to compare and contrast it against all of the other information that is coming my way. In fact, I personally believe that I've learned a lot from other Forum members and am sure that, once the lockdown has lifted I will be a better and safer hiker, not only to myself but also to others. So my plea to you is please don't go!

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:33:49, 20/05/20 »
I must admit that I have sympathy with Pitboot. I share the opinion in his previous posts, second guessing or taking an opposite view on here will not change a thing and reading left/right wing papers will not make anything clearer. I vote for all coronavirus posts to be deleted and just stick to walking issues in future.

Some of Pitboot's recent posts:-
"Follow government advice sent out in emails and local police advice through texts and email.

It's not that I am burying my head in the sand, it's the fact that with 24 hour media everyone with an "ishoo" is muddying the waters of genuine information and advice with opinion. The words "could", "might", and "should" seem to be used with abandon."

"ALL of these journalists get my goat. Just about every article I've read, from many papers and news sites, are critical in their own way. I've dropped off FB because of fake news, I can't bring myself to look at the BBC. (Yes, both in the same sentence.)
The government is made up of human beings trying to get a grip on a very nasty and complicated situation. They don't want people to die either by their actions or inaction, but deaths will occur, inevitably. Accusing them by bravely writing articles is not the way to go. "

"Owen Jones criticising the government, what a surprise. Another example of a rabid left winger politicising the current situation. Everything HMG does is wrong or inadequate, I know better.
I would have more respect for journalists of all political leanings if they offered suggestions and solutions, instead of their partisan shouts from the back of the mob."

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:35:36, 20/05/20 »
I too think my time on this forum has run its course. Thanks for the info I have gleaned and some interesting points of view.

Bye.
It's all uphill from here.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:37:18, 20/05/20 »
Pitboot, sadly I totally get where you’re coming from.  Particularly since the Coronavirus pandemic has “infected the forum”. 

But if you read in between the lines what you’ll see are some very scared people putting on a brave face the only way they know how, be that nit-picking, one-upmanship, politics or trolling.  It’s just a distraction technique to cope with something they have no control over.

For the most part, I try to concentrate on the walking related topics.  After all that’s what this forum is primarily about.  A bit of cheeky banter is fine but as soon as it descends into any one of the things you mention, it’s best just to ignore the posts.  Discretion is sometimes the better part of valour.

Trolling is par for the course on any forum unfortunately. 

I hope your leave of absences will only be temporary Pitboot ...and Slowcoach, and that you’ll return once the madness is over  O0

taxino8

« Reply #5 on: 16:44:59, 20/05/20 »
I’ve got to be honest, I’m also on the verge of quitting because of all this Coronavirus stuff.
Although I’m not a frequent poster I try to contribute when I can and I joined this for help and information on walking, especially the Gear section.
All the Coronavirus discussions have done is cause discord between members.
Let’s be honest, we all have our own opinions and points of view but what I’ve found on here is that if someone posts just about anything to,do,with Coronavirus then another member will take up a contrary position or just try and belittle the poster.
Discussion is a good thing but I feel as though it’s got beyond that to the detriment of the Forum.
Maybe it’s time the Moderators looked at closing those threads?

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:56:20, 20/05/20 »
At the moment I'm just at a loose end a lot of the time so I'm likely to pitch in on none walking topics but they are really easy to avoid if you don't want to read them.

Harland, I'm not sure what point you are making. You say you have sympathy with Pitboot but then all his post that you quote are none walking and some are political.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:20:37, 20/05/20 »
Could also be why another long standing member last logged in over a month ago.
From a selfish point of view its probly best not to log in, just browse the trip reports, ignore any arguing.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:39:03, 20/05/20 »
Nit picking, politics, trolling, all of the reasons I am leaving this site. Goodbye.

Bye!  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:57:04, 20/05/20 »
Taxino8, all I can say is that, as I see it anyway, everyone is different, we are all unique and all of us I believe are the same and different at the same time. To me, that's real life, and its the world that I live in. As a hiker, I think the Coronavirus debate, for, against or otherwise is desirable, if read and the views are taken in objectively I'm sure that once we get out onto the hills again we will have already learned things that will help us and protect us, and others as well.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #10 on: 18:40:37, 20/05/20 »
Unfortunately Covid will pop up on most forums as never did anyone expect a global pandemic.  It will pop up on here as many cant hike or walk or travel for many hikes. I've posted on political and covid threads because it's a forum.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:48:28, 20/05/20 »
Aye, Coronavirus discussion has its place on the forum and that place is in the Hikers Bar, ideally in only one topic. 

Back on topic.

I really hope that no genuine, regular, long-standing forum members decide to leave the forum as a result of the points raised by the OP.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:12:50, 20/05/20 »
I second that!

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:57:14, 20/05/20 »
Me too Mel. As always the voice of reason.

Well perhaps not always.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:47:14, 21/05/20 »
Sorry to see you go, Pitboot, Slowcoach.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy