Author Topic: Carneddau The big horseshoe Sunday 21.10.12  (Read 14076 times)

Glyno

• Veteran Member
Re: Carneddau The big horseshoe Sunday 21.10.12
« Reply #30 on: 18:31:18, 09/08/13 »

...,the exposure in bad weather is quadrupled in intensity compared to other areas of Snowdonia.

do you have factual proof of this or have you just made another crass statement for dramatic effect?

Nigel l

« Reply #31 on: 19:23:33, 09/08/13 »
I've never done the whole Carneddau range, but have witnessed first hand 70mph winds and driving rain descending Foel Fras in the dark, back in June.  What a buzz :D
Raising funds for Llanberis MRT http://www.justgiving.com/Nigel-Laughton

iiswoz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 19:52:12, 09/08/13 »
I summited Ben Nevis earlier   this year in Gale force winds,snow ,hail,and experienced a total white out. Loved every minute. provided you have suitable gear and the ability to use it,  bad weather can be enjoyed.
Honi soit qui mal y pense

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 20:01:22, 09/08/13 »
Not only enjoyed but if you're experienced should be experienced IMO, never wanted to be just a fair weather walker  ;)
Where there's a will ...

DalesWalesLakesandPeaks

« Reply #34 on: 21:17:04, 09/08/13 »
Twitter: @jonesibfc

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 21:19:49, 09/08/13 »
Dear Glyno

If you have traversed the Carneddau from Foel Fras to Carnedd llewelyn and maybe continued to Pen Yr Ole Wen as well, which no doubt you have, you will realise that its the highest land above 3000ft south of the Highlands.
With its close proximity to the Irish sea, it gets it fair share of wild weather, this winter especially where over 50 of those magnificent Carneddau ponies froze to death.
On the path just above Yr Aryg towards Foel Grach, you are  3.2miles from the nearest surfaced road, the remotest spot in the whole of Wales.
If you loose your sense of direction in bad weather you can find yourself miles off course.

I live just 11 miles from the Tal Y fan carpark near Bwlch Y Ddufaen, ive traversed the Carneddau many times, but only once have I seen them bare their teeth.
Once was enough.particularly when I do all my walking in these beautiful mountains alone.

Only a fool would doubt my word, and I know you are not one of those, but your comment was unnecessary, you should realise I know what I am talking about, I look at the Carneddau every day from my bedroom window.

DalesWalesLakesandPeaks

« Reply #36 on: 21:28:29, 09/08/13 »
I can't help but think that those whose navigation isn't so strong (and I probably include myself in that) could help themselves dramatically by simply purchasing a GPS and of course having an OS map with you.

I always take a compass with me but haven't used it once since getting my GPS, I think these days they overcomplicate matters.

Or maybe that's just me.

:-\
Twitter: @jonesibfc

Nigel l

« Reply #37 on: 21:48:10, 09/08/13 »
I have a GPS but only use it to check my Grid Ref if the clag comes down thick, so i don't go walking off the side of a cliff i can't see.
Personally you can't beat map & Compass.
Raising funds for Llanberis MRT http://www.justgiving.com/Nigel-Laughton

johnwills

« Reply #38 on: 11:37:14, 10/08/13 »
Yes.....map skills essential.....even fair-weather walkers get caught out at times and could give them an anxiety over that area

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 12:23:02, 10/08/13 »

...you should realise I know what I am talking about, I look at the Carneddau every day from my bedroom window.

I look at the moon from mine.  :)

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 12:27:23, 10/08/13 »
I own a Garmin GPs and lots of OS maps of Wales,but never use any of them.
I was taught to read a map and compass years ago,but unless you practice the skill you soon get very rusty.
Living so close to Snowdonia,actually I am going for a training run up Snowdon once I've finished writing this post.
I am a fair weather walker, there is no point in venturing in the mountains if you cannot see anything,and why get wet and miserable when there's no need.
The majority of the forum users probably live quite a long way from the hills,and do not have the luxury that I have of going when the weathers fine.
Running or walking in the hills can be dangerous if you cannot see the terrain in front of you.
The views from the top of Snowdon or either Carnedd Llewelyn are stunning on a clear day, experience that view not look at pea soup in front of you.

johnwills

« Reply #41 on: 12:55:43, 10/08/13 »
Fair point, I don't like hiking up 3000ft just to see clag either.....................but what if the weather suddenly closes in on a supposedly clear day? Practicing map skills on a claggy day isn't such a bad thing, could save you one day when the proverbial hits the fan!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 14:08:04, 10/08/13 »
Very true, let's face it how many times do we hear about people being caught out on the hills due to an unexpected weather change and needing MRT help to get back down.  IMO walking/map reading in clag is vital experience that should be practised ... if you want to remain a fair weather walker your only option if you want to remain safe is to stay off the hills.
Where there's a will ...

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 14:38:07, 10/08/13 »
I get more infuriated on the rare occasion I opt not to go out on account of the bad weather only for it to turn out nice!

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 17:08:10, 10/08/13 »
I certainly rate the Carneddau as my favourite region in the UK. The navigation and weather demands are a large part of that.

Best day there was the first of my three days of ML expedition assessment. We started at the coast at 1030 and set up camp deep in the hills at 0500 after continuous micronav. The next two days were spent crisscrossing the range eventually finishing at PyB?
After that my next best day was the classic horseshoe from Ogwen in full whiteout.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy