Author Topic: TR: Moel Eilio  (Read 15830 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
TR: Moel Eilio
« on: 00:43:09, 22/10/16 »
Last weekend saw me heading to Snowdonia for a couple of days.  My original plan was to arrive earlier and bag a couple of waterfall walks but, alas, an accident on the M62 which closed 2 lanes put paid to that (fortunately nobody was injured) and I arrived just in time to check into my B&B in Betws-y-Coed before it got dark, where I was given a free upgrade from a saddo singleton’s room for one to a small double room with en-suite facilities  O0   I then had a little mooch into “town” in search of my evening meal and the next day’s lunch.

Sunday arrived, damp and drizzle-y and I chatted with the B&B owner about my plans for the day.  He kindly went on line and got me a weather forecast for the Llanberis / Snowdon area … and it didn’t look good – strong, gusty winds, heavy showers and thunder storms with temperatures a few degrees above freezing on the tops  :(

Nevertheless, after a rather splendid breakfast, I waddled off to my car for the 30 minute drive which, in parts, reminded me a little of Scotland.  The drive through the Llanberis Pass is quite spectacular and it was a pity there were cars behind me because I would have stopped (stuff the fact it’s a freeway/no stopping) to take a photo.

I got parked up down a little back street and remembered to actually set Viewranger to track record this time, and off I set – up and up and up on a never-ending metalled track upwards, without relent.  The benefit of this was views started happening quickly and the forecast so far was wrong - it was patchy sunshine and I was sheltered from any wind.

Looking across towards the Llanberis Pass:

Higher still and looking across at the fascinatingly ugly scars of the pillaged Elidir Fawr(?):

It reminded me of a Dali painting and did look quite photogenic with the sunshine glinting on the wet quarry face.

At a very derelict farm building (Maen-llwyd-uchaf) the metalled track ran out (there’s also parking spaces for about 4 cars here in case anyone’s interested) and the path, still obvious, followed various walls, and still endlessly uphill. 

Not that I stopped frequently on my way up or anything but here’s a view Gallt y Foel(?) above Lly Padarn with views of Anglesey just starting to peep into view in the background:

I decided to go a little off piste to avoid a large puddle, then continued up the broad, grassy nose of Bryn Mawr.  This seemed like a good idea …. 6 false summits later …. Much of my view ahead was this …. So near yet so far:

I noticed my camera was almost out of battery  >:(  (note to self, charge camera before walk in future) so saved it for summit snaps but couldn’t resist one of this pointless stile just before the final pull up to the top of Moel Eilio  :D :

The wind was bitter now and constantly in my face and I’d had to brace myself against the gusts, making it feel like I was walking up something much harder than it was (that’s my excuse anyway  ;) ), but thankfully, no rain as yet and no thunderstorms.

It took me ages to get from the pointless stile to my next pic and I can only put this down to lack of fitness/stamina as my breathing was fine but my leg muscles tired far too quickly.

And finally, hooooraaaahhhhh!  The summit shelter:

I was quite glad to see this appear, all of a sudden (them pesky false summits), and it spurred me on towards my nice cuppa and sarnie.  I was even more glad to get to it as a sudden, sharp blast of hailstones “got” me (head wind don't forget... ouch!).  I had my lunch and let the weather pass before venturing out for some summit piccies.

Looking across a fine ridge walk to Snowdon with its head in the clouds:

Looking North-East-ish:

Looking West-ish:

Looking North-West-ish to Anglesey:

And finally, looking back the way I came:

I took this last pic more for the strange colour of the weather (if that makes sense).  Given the short, sharp showers and the sunshine, I think I was “in” a rainbow  :)

Anyway, the weather had definitely changed and I could hear distant rumbles of thunder so it was with regret that I decided not to continue along that lovely looking ridge as planned, as, being the highest thing on a grassy ridge with no shelter in a thunder storm, probably wouldn’t have been one of my better decisions.  So I returned the way I came – at least I had a back wind to assist me down the hill  ;D

My return path and the thundery clouds are starting to catch me up:

Shortly after this pic the heavens opened in a magnificently Biblical fashion and the waterproofs went on, the camera went away and I fairly scuttled down the hillside to reach the track which had now turned into a river.  Choosing a shortcut back to the car past Cae’r-fran wasn’t one of my better ideas either as the track was a river of mud and I was relieved to reach a road as I turned left onto the lane which passes the Youth Hostel.

Back at the car I stripped off my soggy waterproofs and was pleasantly surprised to discover that I was dry underneath them.  I think it may have been a different story if I’d needed to wear them heading uphill.  I did have to wring my gloves out though  :-\

So hands up everyone who agrees…. Having a good day’s walking, followed by a shower, getting a belly full of food, a glass of wine and falling into bed and falling asleep almost instantly is possibly the best type of day ever?

Again, no particular Achilles tendon problems and I could quite happily have walked much further – I think wearing shoes and not boots has all but solved the problem.

For a long time now I’ve been looking for a “safe” mountain walk to do in Winter…. I think I’ve found it…. Moel Eilio… it’s broad, it’s grassy, route finding is easy, it has amazing views in all directions that would look truly stunning with a full winter pelt  … and it’s over the magic 2,000ft mountain status. 

I will be back.

Thanks for reading  :)

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
Re: TR: Moel Eilio
« Reply #1 on: 02:16:47, 22/10/16 »
I did Moel Eilio the winter before last, and also intended to do the other little tops on that ridge, but a huge lack of fitness stopped me going any further. But in the snow, with Snowdon embroiled in wintry cloud and the Cwellyn valley looking sombre, it was a lovely little jaunt. Great report Mel, and I agree that walk/shower/food/booze/sleep is about as good as it gets.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:01:34, 22/10/16 »
A good TR Mel with some lovely pics.  It brought back memories for me, as it's been a long time since I was in Snowdonia.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:35:14, 22/10/16 »
Lovely photos and great report Mel O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:38:05, 22/10/16 »
Really enjoyed the write up and pictures, Mel  O0  I've had Moel Eilio in my sights for a while and that ridge looks as good from the summit as it does from afar, in fact the views all around look fantastic.

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:05:07, 22/10/16 »
Nice O0 Not sure I have the confidence to do things alone in Snowdonia, even now, so good on you for braving it on your own.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:13:51, 22/10/16 »
Nice one Mel, enjoyed that and good on ya! Back in Snowdonia myself for a long weekend next Saturday  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:51:50, 22/10/16 »
Enjoyed the TR and photos Mel    :)    Great views

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:03:36, 22/10/16 »
Nice photos and report, am glad that you've started using shoes and it's helping  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:34:24, 22/10/16 »
Moel Elio is a superb walk, and you have the added bonus of being able to park your car in the disused quarry above Bwlch Y Groes, just above Waunfawr, almost at the start of the path to the summit.
Actually is a great alternative to the usual footpaths up Snowdon, ascend Moel Elio as far as Moel Cynhorion, and then use the Snowdon Ranger path to the summit.

Moel Elio is always a quiet summit, as its off the main tourist paths up Snowdon.

The terrain from the summit is quite undulating, but you have magnificent panoramic views towards the Nantlle area, and towards Snowdon, with the added bonus of very convenient parking at the quarry.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 23:08:06, 22/10/16 »
MoelPysgod - that's it.  You've convinced me I need to do this walk in Winter  O0

Thanks DevonDave and sunnydale.  Writing a trip report lets me re-live the walk  :D

adalard - yep, get there and do it, you won't be disappointed  :)

alewife - I'm not confident with true mountain nav but this walk is nothing like the rock and gnarl of the Glyders or Tryfan.  It compares more to the walk you will have done out of Settle towards Warrendale Knotts and Attermire Scar on your Dales Meet  :)

phil1960 - cheers, it was a great day.  Enjoy your long weekend  O0

Dovegirl - thanks, yes, definitely great views that came as a complete surprise to me  :)

bricam2096 - cheers.  I'm going to wear my boots for a walk tomorrow and if my ankle plays up I think I'll have my definitive answer  O0 

DA - totally agree it's a superb walk.  Is access to the disused quarry at Bwlch y groes from the West/Waunfawr side?  It says no vehicular access at the Eastern side (plus you'd need a car with pretty high ground clearance to drive on the track to it).  I think I only met 5 people on my walk and definitely had better views than anyone on Snowdon's summit that day  :D

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:09:46, 23/10/16 »
Make sure you wrap up really warm, as Moel Elio,even in the height of summer can be a chilly location, and its very prone to prevailing winds.
Very much like Elidir Fawr, its an isolated summit, with no mountains protecting it from the elements.

The southern sides of the mountain above Llyn Cwellyn, regularly gets heavy snowdrifts in the winter, its one very exposed location.

Wrap up really warm.

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:39:38, 23/10/16 »
Nice TR and photos Mel its a nice part of Snowdonia and quiet i have only been that way once late winter 2015 i followed the ridge up to Snowdon then went down the Llanberis path i had a lovely day for it but it was slow progress up the ranger carrying full winter pack,boots etc but a great day thanks for sharing Mel

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:43:05, 23/10/16 »

Make sure you wrap up really warm, as Moel Elio,even in the height of summer can be a chilly location, and its very prone to prevailing winds.

Wrap up really warm.

you sound like my mum

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:22:11, 23/10/16 »

you sound like my mum

Don't give him ideas for his next profile ;-)
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy