Author Topic: Around Holyhead/holy island  (Read 4359 times)

alancreedon

Around Holyhead/holy island
« on: 18:08:27, 12/11/16 »
Hello

Has anyone on here walked around holy island? I have a mind to buy it's hard to find info on exactly how long it is on the coastal path.

I'm thinking about a2 day hike. Am I being realistic?
Thanks

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Around Holyhead/holy island
« Reply #1 on: 18:39:44, 12/11/16 »
I would have thought so. Never done it but I used to criss cross Holyhead Mountain and its surrounding area in a morning.   Really depends on if you mean a full circumnavigation from Four Mile Bridge or just the "interesting bits". I would have thought the latter would be a decent days walk. The Coastal Path is not unduly strenuous in that area especially if you go clockwise.  Have a look at Coastal Walks around Anglesey by Carl Rogers (ISBN 978-1-902512-20-4). This will give you a feel for the area, walks 15, 16 and 18 in particular.
Solvitur Ambulando

alancreedon

« Reply #2 on: 19:11:26, 12/11/16 »
Thanks for the reply.

the whole island all the way round, i think the path goes right around as far as I know. Just a nice challenge, not too strenuous. maybe bivvy or tent on the beach overnight, i'm thinking.
I just like the idea of doing it all in one go

werringtonwalker

« Reply #3 on: 20:00:45, 12/11/16 »
The simple answer is "yes, you are being realistic".  The obvious way to do it (to my eyes) is day one from Holyhead to Trearddur Bay (around twelve miles) and day two to Four Mile Bridge then cut across alongside the Inland Sea to the southern end of the Stanley Embankment and back into Holyhead (slightly less than twelve miles).

All but the "short-cut" from Four Mile Bridge to the embankment are on the actual Anglesey Coastal Path and are wonderful walking, with the possible exception of the final mile into Holyhead itself which is pretty uninspiring.  That apart, it's a fantastic two days walking.
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir

alancreedon

« Reply #4 on: 20:27:55, 12/11/16 »
Excellent, thanks so much for the info.

Alan  :)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:20:38, 13/11/16 »
A fit walker could easily traverse the coastal path around Holyhead within a day.
This section of the coastal path, is gentle walking compared to say Amlwch or Moelfre, and when you are nearing Trearddur Bay, the going is very easy.

If you were walking in the height of Summer, when there are many hours of daylight available, the Holyhead section of the Anglesey Coastal Path, is a long day out.

The only problem is that there is a lot to see on this section , wildlife and possibly a look at South Stack lighthouse, so its a section of the path that offers the visitor lots to see and do, which cannot be said for the majority of the path.

Its the section of the path past Trearddur Bay, heading towards Aberffraw and Newborough that offers the walker little in the way of interest, its still beautiful, but apart from the view, there is nothing much to do.

Holyhead Island, on the other hand, is a hot spot for rare birds, Choughs and even the incredible Black Lark that set the twitching world alight several years ago.

Of any section of the coastal path, Holyhead offers the best opportunities for a diversion off the path, to see what's on offer, and therefore it would be a shame to rush it.

Its doable in a day, but you would miss the highlights on offer.
« Last Edit: 12:36:00, 13/11/16 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:26:16, 13/11/16 »
A fit walker could easily traverse the coastal path around Holyhead within a day.
This section of the coastal path, is gentle walking compared to say Amlwch or Moelfre, and when you are nearing Trearddur Bay, the going is very easy.
Its the section of the path past Trearddur Bay, heading towards Aberffraw and Newborough that offers the walker little in the way of interest, its still beautiful, but apart from the view, there is nothing much to do.

Your reply threw me at first since Aberffraw and Newborough aren't on or even close to Holy Island so I assume you mean going anti clockwise round the island. I would recommend a clockwise route. The approach to South Stack is more scenic this way and such gradients as there are on the north side of Holy Island are less strenuous this way. Also, if I was doing it, I would leave the Coastal Path and take in Holyhead Mountain as well. It is not a major detour.
« Last Edit: 14:32:28, 13/11/16 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:43:48, 13/11/16 »
Hi there.
Living so close to Anglesey, ive now walked the entire coastal path, having taken nearly two years you do it.
I just drive to Anglesey, look at what the weather is up to, and decide which bit of the path i want to walk.

The highlights are the bits from beyond Pentraeth, Benllech and on towards towards Moelfre.

The path near City Dulas is superb for watching coastal wildlife, and on towards Amwlch is a real treat.

The Bull Bay to Wylfa Nuclear Power station section is the stuff of dreams on a lovely sunny day, and if there was one entire location i would recommend for someone wanting to see what's on offer, that would be the choice walk every time.

Its the only time ive seen a whale off the welsh coastline, just beyond Hells Mouth, i will never forget that for as long as i live.

From Amlwch towards Holyhead is most rewarding, but from Trearddur Bay onwards, is disappointing, there is not much to see or do, just an enjoyable coastal walk, with not much to tempt the walker inland for a peep.

By far the best bit though is from the Pentraeth towards,  Amlwch.
« Last Edit: 17:54:16, 13/11/16 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

werringtonwalker

« Reply #8 on: 18:01:15, 13/11/16 »
I'd absolutely disagree about the bit after Trearddur Bay being disappointing and offering the walker little in the way of interest.  It isn't as spectacular as the north coast but there are so many places to enjoy - Rhoscolyn and the sea arch at Bwa Gwyn; Silver Bay; the Church in the Sea; Llanddwyn Island and Newborough - and ample opportunities to see beautiful flora and fauna.

It would be a dull world if we all had the same opinions but if all a walk has is beautiful views, that's more than good enough for me.   ;)

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:12:37, 13/11/16 »
DA, we are in danger of thread drift. The question concerns walking round Holy Island, not the Anglesey Coastal Path. Suggest you start a new thread for that or the OP will be confused. For info I did the Path in 2011 doing it as a series of daily circular walks when I lived on Anglesey. I could see Holyhead across the bay from my house and walked the area often.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:36:45, 13/11/16 »
DA, we are in danger of thread drift.

Surely not, DA wouldn't dream of drifting off thread, would he?  ;D
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:26:49, 13/11/16 »
Surely not, DA wouldn't dream of drifting off thread, would he?  ;D

at least he's consistent  ;D You can always be assured that he'll either go off topic, write a huge reply when a few words would do OR (my favourite), manage to get the words " many years ago" into a post  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:24:30, 14/11/16 »
Let's put it this way, the coastal path around Holyhead headland, is achievable in a day, but as ive already said, its the most interesting part of the entire walk, and there is an awful lot to see off the main route itself.
That cannot be said, for the majority of the path.

alancreedon

« Reply #13 on: 20:14:02, 16/11/16 »
Thanks people for all your comments. I'm going to stick to holy island this time as it's a special one for me.
I agree there is great scenery both north and south and I will do it clockwise was suggested above.
This is definitely going of thread a little bit has anyone ever camped on Porth Dafarch beach? I know it's NT so maybe not as easy to camp on.
I might start a separate thread for beach camping on HI
Cheers

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:25:15, 17/11/16 »
Try contacting Tan Y Graig campsite, it's less than half a mile from the gorgeous Porth Dafarch beach, and the views are just as breathtaking.
Its the perfect location for a camping spot, for those walking the coastal path.
Camping on the beach itself, may or may not be allowed, but being a NT run and owned sight, they may not like the idea, and since there is a designated campsite within a stones throw of the beach, give them a ring, on 01407 762043.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy