Author Topic: First time on Snowdon  (Read 7455 times)

Megellen

First time on Snowdon
« on: 06:28:50, 15/11/16 »
Morning all,

My wife and I are off to Snowdonia on Friday, staying at the Lake View Hotel just outside Llanberis.
We have been walking most weekends this year with sections of the SWCP, Pembrokeshire CP, lots of the Beacons, two ascents of the Beacons Horseshoe and other 8 - 10 mile walks done so far.
Our kit list is good, with the exception of crampons and ice axes!
We are planning to go up Snowdon on Saturday, weather permitting, and were either thinking of up and down the Llanberis Path OR (my favourite option) up the PYG and down the Miners tracks.
Our daughter is planning on joining us but won't get to the hotel until about 10 AM.
Are we leaving either route too late to start then, bearing in mind this time of year and we then still have to get to the start of either route.
Also, can anyone point me in the right direction for transport options.....buses, car parking, etc.?
Any advice on our first trip would be appreciated.
Thanks

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
Re: First time on Snowdon
« Reply #1 on: 08:43:19, 15/11/16 »
Hi there my first question is about your fitness would you all be able to walk 10 miles and 3100ft of ascent in 6 hours that's for the Llanberis path otherwise you will need your headtorches but that's not a problem especially on the Llanberis path easy to follow and you will be able to see the village in regards to the PYG/miners if you are leaving that late you probably won't be able to park at Pen y Pass so you would have to find somewhere along the Llanberis pass or by the Pen y Gwyrd which would add a mile or two to the 7 mile  2400ft of the PYG/miners route which is the better of the two but don't forget the headtorch

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:03:14, 15/11/16 »
A favourite option of mine is to get the Snowdon Sherpa bus which takes 20 mins from Llanberis to Pen y pas. This ought to give you ample time to climb Snowdon by the PYG Track and then descend back down to your hotel by the Llanberis path.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:05:19, 15/11/16 »
Most of us are awaiting the page long essay from Mr Off Topic  :D

Snowdon is on my "list" for next year so I'm interested  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:16:40, 15/11/16 »
A favourite option of mine is to get the Snowdon Sherpa bus which takes 20 mins from Llanberis to Pen y pas. This ought to give you ample time to climb Snowdon by the PYG Track and then descend back down to your hotel by the Llanberis path.

Be aware the Sherpa bus service is on the winter timetable so if you miss the 10 o'clock bus to PYP the next one is at 12 o'clock

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:37:42, 15/11/16 »
Most of us are awaiting the page long essay from Mr Off Topic  :D

No doubt the Snowdon Ranger path will be recommended - at great length.  :D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:54:29, 15/11/16 »
+1 for Sherpa - PYP-Pyg-Llanberis Path option. Less stressful in terms of parking and timing and no need to drive. Looks like there may be some snow too according to Met Office.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:14:11, 15/11/16 »

No doubt the Snowdon Ranger path will be recommended - at great length.  :D

Many years ago ...  :o
Where there's a will ...

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:36:53, 15/11/16 »
I was about .to .say the pleasantest route. up Snowdon is via the south. ridge .and back down the Watkin Path, but I remembered the time of year and thought twice about suggesting this for a short day in winter.  In fact, do not think I would recommend any first timer ascent in midwinter.  The conditions underfoot can be vastly different near the top.  Many good walks near the border such as on the Berwyns or Clwyd hills where a layer of snow just adds to the scenic quality rather than the hazards.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:37:03, 15/11/16 »
I was about .to .say the pleasantest route. up Snowdon is via the south. ridge .and back down the Watkin Path, but I remembered the time of year and thought twice about suggesting this for a short day in winter.  In fact, do not think I would recommend any first timer ascent in midwinter.  The conditions underfoot can be vastly different near the top.  Many good walks near the border such as on the Berwyns or Clwyd hills where a layer of snow just adds to the scenic quality rather than the hazards.

Have you read the original post? Did you not even get to the end of the first sentence?

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:22:32, 15/11/16 »
To keep an eye on the weather. Looking snowy and very cold. Enjoy if you make it  O0
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcmjghxpx
 http://snowdon.webcam

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:45:26, 15/11/16 »
A 10am start, should be all right, but please remember that the light is now fading fast by 3pm in the afternoon, so choice of route will be important.

Parking will be a lot easier this late in the season, in llanberis, and there are the popular eating facilities such as Pete's Eats on the high street when you return from your adventure.

The hotel your staying at, The Lake View, is just outside llanberis itself,about a mile in distance, and  on the Caernarvon side of Llanberis and the mountain, so it would be much easier and to save valuable time to use llanberis as your starting point.

You would have a further five miles to drive out of the town, to reach Pen Y pass, and to discover the carpark is full, would almost destroy your chances of reaching the summit in daylight.

As your staying so close to llanberis, with all its cafes and facilities to use after your walk, it makes more sense to climb the mountain using the Llanberis path, but that's my opinion, and you may indeed prefer to use Pen Y Pass.

Just remember, the car park at Pen Y Pass fills up quickly, even this late in the year, and parking very near to Pen Y Pass is frowned upon by Gwynedd council, and you may get a parking ticket.

There are pay and display parking facilities two miles down the road, next to the Pen Y Gwyrydd hotel, in the direction of Capel Curig and Bettws Y Coed but yet again, that's more daylight hours wasted walking up to Pen Y Pass.

The cafe at Pen Y Pass may or may not be open, it's all dependant on the weather conditions, and how busy the very expensive car park is with walkers.

Personal choice for me, would be to use the llanberis Path, as it's so much closer to your hotel ( 1.8miles to be exact) but either the PYG or Miners tracks would be fine, as long as the weather conditions allow it, and you do not mind paying so much for the parking pleasure.

The weather forecast for the weekend is for colder weather, but just take extra care, and ensure you have the correct clothing for a mountain as exposed and as high as Snowdon.

Currently, all last weeks snow has been washed away from the mountain, but there is a possibility there may be more on the way in the next few days.

I cannot suggest how long it will take you to scale the mountain, because i do not know your fitness levels or walking pace, but a reasonably fit party should be up and down in around 4-5 hrs.

Another thing to seriously take into consideration, is the change in temperature the higher up the mountain you go.

If its windy, especially on the upper reaches of the mountain, then with colder weather forecast, the windchill will be noticeably felt.

Just take great care, and if at all possible, start your walk earlier than 10am to give you every opportunity of success.

Dress accordingly for early winter on such a high mountain, and do not soldier on regardless, if you find conditions slow you down,you will obviously be disappointed especially as its your first go on the mountain, there is always another day.

As for directions to find the llanberis Path route,

Drive straight on from your hotel, around the corner, down the hill,keeping to your left at all times, do not take the right turn into Llanberis, just keep straight on down the road.

You will see Padarn Lake on your left hand side, keep going on down the road, through the traffic lights.

You will eventually see the Snowdon Mountain Railway station on your immediate right, after about 100yds.

There is a short hill in front of you, with the large Royal Victoria Hotel on your immediate left, at the top of the hill.

Opposite the hotel, you will see a roundabout, the way to the Llanberis path route, is on your right, down the narrow road.

At the very bottom of this road is a cattlegrid, up the very steep hill as far as it goes ,around a mile, and you will eventually arrive at the start of the walk, at the top of the hill.

There we are, that's saved you around twenty minutes, trying to find out where you go.

Just have a great time.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:50:13, 15/11/16 »
This is a nice circular walk from Llanberis (I did it anti-clockwise a couple of weeks ago), it took me about 5 hours including photo stops and a lunch break:

Pura Vida

« Reply #13 on: 20:17:13, 15/11/16 »
The bad news is that the cafe is closed until May time.

STAY OFF the railway lines if the path is frozen as it is NOT a safer option!

No one has suggested up the Llanberis path and down the Pyg! (But check the winter bus timetable to return to Llanberis)

The percentage option (IMO) would be to set off up the Llanberis and then decide on your down route once you have summited. With darkness approaching the going would be better on the Llanberis Path.

I hope that you have some good weather.  

I'd second the route that Glyno has offered - as I was with him.    ;D
Show a man a route then he will have an Adventure; Teach a man to navigate then he will have many adventures

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:03:43, 16/11/16 »
Just passed Snowdon forty minutes ago, there is no snow lying on any of the mountains, and today was slightly cooler, at 12C at Maentwrog, and quite breezy.
I believe the weather is on the change from Thursday night onwards, as the colder air forecast, has not yet arrived.

The only hazzard i can envisage this weekend, will be the wind, its forecast to really pick up considerably Friday night.

A real shame, that you have left your first attempt on Snowdon so late in the year.

I hope you make it on Saturday morning, here's fingers crossed for your first of many successful ascents of Mt Snowdon.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy