Author Topic: Current snow line in Brecon Beacons and Black Mountains  (Read 3419 times)

clyoung

• Veteran Member
Am pondering dragging eldest over to either the Brecon Beacons or Black Mountains on Saturday morning. Is there currently still snow on Pen y Fan and if so, how far down the mountain does it come? More (light) snow is forecast on Friday evening but not on, for example, Sugar Loaf, which is a bit under 600m high. It would be good to get above the snow line.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Re: Current snow line in Brecon Beacons and Black Mountains
« Reply #1 on: 22:30:21, 30/11/16 »
What's left really isn't worth mentioning, just a few patches really. I look up most days when passing with work and was last in the central Beacons walking week before last, there was a scattering of snow then from around 650m, but very icy underfoot. I'll be over the western fans this weekend and won't be taking spikes.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:57:14, 30/11/16 »
What's left really isn't worth mentioning, just a few patches really. I look up most days when passing with work and was last in the central Beacons walking week before last, there was a scattering of snow then from around 650m, but very icy underfoot. I'll be over the western fans this weekend and won't be taking spikes.

That's a shame. Will maybe stick to doing a Dewey or two and just enjoying the frosty weather.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:28:43, 01/12/16 »
Ive no idea what conditions must be like down in South Wales, but if their anything like Roman Bridge near Dolwydellan, then its best to stay at home.
Its the first time that ive driven through any significant freezing fog.
It was so cold, that the A/C simply could not cope with the conditions, and there were maniacs overtaking in zero visibility.

Still only 2C in Dyffryn, so the A470 beyond Libanus must be hell on earth, i bet its barely above freezing there, and being above 1400ft, conditions will be unpleasant.

That stretch of road from Libanus to Storrey Arms gets little in the way of winter sunshine, and there has been numerous casualties there in the winter, its a dangerous area for black ice.

Most of the snow has thawed from the top of snowdon, but its the very low temperatures that are an issue.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:20:56, 01/12/16 »
Why avoid? I can't speak for anyone else, but cold crispy mornings with a layer of snow is one of my favourite times to walk.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:33:28, 01/12/16 »
Previous experience on that section of the A470.
I had a friend many years ago who ended her day's in the Libanus nursing home.
That long stretch through the forest section eventually leading towards Storrey Arms, was alway's an issue in the winters, especially back in the late 1980s, when we had heavy snow and subzero temperatures.

1985 was a bad one, i can remember trying to chase the RAC Rally Group B cars towards Hirwaun, conditions were dire, but the roads remained open somehow, but the roads were terribly icey.
It never get's any sunshine, and i can remember almost losing my mini along that stretch.

We have not had any serious snow to compare with those we had back in the 80s,

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:07:22, 01/12/16 »
Err! Yes I was around in the 80's. If it's any consolation I drove over and back this morning like I do regularly between Merthyr and Brecon, totally fine, but you are right, in the wrong conditions like any road it can be treacherous. I was referring though to walking, current conditions present no problems  O0

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:14:50, 02/12/16 »
Thanks. Current plan is to park at the layby near Fro, walk over Bryn Arw to Pantygelly, eat at the pub and return over Sugar Loaf. So A470 won't be an issue.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:24:13, 02/12/16 »
Thanks. Current plan is to park at the layby near Fro, walk over Bryn Arw to Pantygelly, eat at the pub and return over Sugar Loaf. So A470 won't be an issue.
Nice walk that one, not high but it doesn't need to be, enjoy it  :)

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:37:14, 04/12/16 »
We did it, not without the odd problem though.

When we came down off Bryn Arw the footpath went through the garden of a house and there was a dog guarding its territory. We tried following a sign for a permissive path but that had broken signs saying "Enter... isk" "Beware..." so we didn't reckon that was any better. We took a different footpath up behind the property and it was very overgrown with brambles - my son got a thorn in his hand. Then the exit from a footpath across a field was blocked by barbed wire so we had to backtrack and go through a field of sheep with a rather menacing ram in it and we got into a tricky situation on a narrow road with vehicles coming both ways and nowhere to go.

We had a big lunch at The Crown in Pantygelli, which was lovely but maybe not the best idea when our next move was to hike up steep tracks to Sugar Loaf straight afterwards! We were running out of daylight (of course we had head torches with us) so having got briefly wind blasted at the summit we beat a hasty retreat to the car. At least we got to see the views this time - when we climbed Sugar Loaf nearly 4 years ago the top was in thick cloud.

We did spot a weasel as we climbed up Sugar Loaf, which was a first for my son. And it was good to get out on the hills for the first time in more than two months, even if it did make me realise I am not at all hill fit now.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:50:13, 07/12/16 »
Am pondering dragging eldest over to either the Brecon Beacons or Black Mountains on Saturday morning. Is there currently still snow on Pen y Fan and if so, how far down the mountain does it come? More (light) snow is forecast on Friday evening but not on, for example, Sugar Loaf, which is a bit under 600m high. It would be good to get above the snow line.

Great to here you had a good walk with your eldest (son?)  My son, youngest at 24 and I drove up from Cornwall, on Sunday and enjoyed a glorious day on Pen-Y-Fan.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:35:32, 07/12/16 »

Great to here you had a good walk with your eldest (son?)  My son, youngest at 24 and I drove up from Cornwall, on Sunday and enjoyed a glorious day on Pen-Y-Fan.

Looks great. I think Sunday was a better day weatherwise but we had another commitment. One of the options I put to my son was to walk up Pen y Fan from Cwm Llwch but he's climbed to the summit before and I have a problem convincing him if there's not at least one new peak to bag  ;). Which is a real problem for Snowdon, where I've got about 8 or 9 routes I'd like to try  ;D

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 23:08:34, 07/12/16 »
Looks great. I think Sunday was a better day weatherwise but we had another commitment. One of the options I put to my son was to walk up Pen y Fan from Cwm Llwch but he's climbed to the summit before and I have a problem convincing him if there's not at least one new peak to bag  ;) . Which is a real problem for Snowdon, where I've got about 8 or 9 routes I'd like to try  ;D

Never been up Snowdon.  Odd considering I was born and grow up in the NW.  Plan to do the Horseshoe route next year, at some point.  Hopefully my lad will come along too.  Always fun to try new routes, but even better to climb new summits. O0

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:59:40, 08/12/16 »

Never been up Snowdon.  Odd considering I was born and grow up in the NW.  Plan to do the Horseshoe route next year, at some point.  Hopefully my lad will come along too.  Always fun to try new routes, but even better to climb new summits. O0

True and some of the Snowdon routes I have in mind include new summits. I do like to get to know an area though.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy