Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292376 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #120 on: 10:07:34, 19/11/16 »
I had a pair of cheap black Thinsulate gloves (£5 at purchase) which were ideal if the weather was chilly but not cold, but I lost them recently. They were at their best first thing in the morning when it was cold to coldish and I needed to pack my tent and other gear into my rucksack. They left enough warmth and feeling in my fingers to complete the packing task without having to keep warming my hands every few minutes. They were also very good when I wore them inside my Montane mittens. The mittens were also a poor buy, my hands stay cold when I use them by themselves.

I decided to buy a new pair of thin gloves but this time decided to go upmarket and bought a pair of Arc'teryx gloves at £20. They looked like my old gloves and the material felt the same as well.

It was chilly and a bit windy on the downs yesterday so I put them on and the wind just blew right through them! Useless! They only worked when I put my mittens on as well.

Forkbeard

« Reply #121 on: 10:31:24, 19/11/16 »
I had a pair of cheap black Thinsulate gloves (£5 at purchase) which were ideal if the weather was chilly but not cold, but I lost them recently. They were at their best first thing in the morning when it was cold to coldish and I needed to pack my tent and other gear into my rucksack. They left enough warmth and feeling in my fingers to complete the packing task without having to keep warming my hands every few minutes. They were also very good when I wore them inside my Montane mittens. The mittens were also a poor buy, my hands stay cold when I use them by themselves.

I decided to buy a new pair of thin gloves but this time decided to go upmarket and bought a pair of Arc'teryx gloves at £20. They looked like my old gloves and the material felt the same as well.

It was chilly and a bit windy on the downs yesterday so I put them on and the wind just blew right through them! Useless! They only worked when I put my mittens on as well.

I had the same problem with a pair of Seal Skinz. Absolute crap. I would've been better of going to B&M and buying a £3 pair of whatever.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #122 on: 20:58:40, 19/11/16 »
I had the same problem with a pair of Seal Skinz. Absolute crap. I would've been better of going to B&M and buying a £3 pair of whatever.

I have a few pairs of general purpose work & gardening gloves.  Completely waterproof warm and I can even operate my Camera.  Cost £3 at any good hardware store or garden centre.  I have had a few disparaging looks.  But they just work great for me.   O0

wobblyknees

« Reply #123 on: 21:08:51, 19/11/16 »
Agree Seal Skinz are absolute crap and not cheap. One of my worst buys.

I find that the cheap (£5 - £10) Aldi / Lidl skiing gloves are one of the warmest and great value. Warm, waterproof but virtually nil breathability. I also have a pair of Lowe Alpine mittens that are very warm.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #124 on: 10:14:55, 20/11/16 »
Must admit to going a bit OTT in the last couple of weeks taking advantage of special offers but I like to put a few quid away every week until this time of year when the prices seem lower....hopefully.

So, this week I've bought...
a new wintery waterproof jacket (Paramo Alta 3)
jetboil flash
triangia 25/2 cooking set
3 litre berghaus hydration system
Hiluckey 10000mAh Dual USB Solar Panel Portable Battery Charger
Laser Competition 2 tent (only £200 new  O0 )

Looking forward to 2017 walking/camping very much  O0 O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #125 on: 19:11:32, 20/11/16 »
Technically not for walking but telling time with  ;) but will hopefully be my "go to" watch when out and about on the hills, I pulled the trigger on a Suunto Core All Black.  Was going to leave it as a Chrimbo pressie but this one came up at the right price so I bagged it while I had the chance.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

PeakRambler

« Reply #126 on: 19:23:58, 21/11/16 »
I have SealSkinz Winter Gloves, and I've found them to be brilliant.

But.

I'm a great believer that walking kit, can be very individual due to our differences, and I see no reason why gloves should be different, after all, our hands will be different shapes and will fit gloves differently to other folk.

PeakRambler

« Reply #127 on: 19:29:39, 21/11/16 »
My latest purchase is a pair of RAB PowerStretch Gloves, to supplement a pair in my rucksack, which at the moment I cannot access due to our house being turned upside down while I'm temporarily disabled....

They're not a full winter glove, just windproof, but the gripability of them is brilliant, and great for using a camera.

http://rab.equipment/uk/power-stretch-grip-glove

They kept my hands warm while sightseeing on Sunday last at the junction of the Pennine Way and Snake Pass.

(Photos to be posted in appropriate thread)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #128 on: 19:34:50, 21/11/16 »
I've been looking for a strap lanyard to carry my Pebbell Pendant alarm and my perhaps my phone when I hike? Couldn't find one anywhere, I tried Staples, etc but no luck so popped into Carphone Warehouse and asked. The young lady who served me said they do not sell them but she had 'hundreds' in the back room, so she gave me one for free! A wonderful human being!

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #129 on: 00:05:42, 22/11/16 »
......The young lady who served me ......... gave me one for free! .....
It's amazing what words/phrases stand out when you are in a facetious mood   :D
I wonder if that applies at all of their outlets ?
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #130 on: 09:36:44, 22/11/16 »
It's amazing what words/phrases stand out when you are in a facetious mood   :D
Or 'always' as it is usually known.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #131 on: 09:53:18, 22/11/16 »
My latest purchase is a Petzl head torch.

In all the time I've been walking, I've only had recourse to a head torch once around 2 or 3 years ago. That was walking down a lane at the end of a day in the Howgills and more to let motorists know in advance we were at the side of the road than to see where we were going.

So my old torch sat in my bag year in year out and I could never be sure how much life was left in the battery or spare. I decided one I could charge up as part of my pre-walking routine would be a safer bet as I would always know it was fully powered-up when I set off in the winter months. Haven't had to use it yet but I'm pleased with it after testing it out at home.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #132 on: 13:03:01, 22/11/16 »
Or 'always' as it is usually known.

;D   ;D   ;D  ...... O0
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #133 on: 14:20:19, 22/11/16 »
Sealskins Sea Leopard gloves - very cosy!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #134 on: 17:02:43, 22/11/16 »
 Pair of Sorbothane Sorbo Pro footbeds as per Slogger's recommendation in the sorbothane insole thread.

Also a pair of Salomon X-Trail shoes to replace the Merrel Moab Ventilators I bought a few weeks ago. I just cannot get them to be comfortable and so passed them on to my son who has smaller feet than me. The Salomon's have orthotic insoles and I have just been out today for a quick 5 miler in the mountain crags of Lincolnshire ( ;D ) ,they are very comfortable.

I got them fitted in LD Mountain Centre in Newcastle when I was up home at the weekend. Overall I found the make to be small fitting and ended up with 12s. I normally take an 11 in boots to allow for extra pairs of socks and foot swellage (is this a word?) over a long day walking, but in order to do that had to go up to 12 in Salomons. The footbeds are ultra comfortable so will stick with the manufacturer's as supplied.

Also I noticed they had a superfeet footbed /insole maker in the shop. You shove your foot in a machine and they make a superfeet insole on the spot to fit your feet. Didn't use it, but if Slogger's recommendation doesn't work out I know where I am going to go for my next lot of footbeds.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy