Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 295465 times)

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #210 on: 17:19:51, 04/03/17 »
trekkertent stealth 1, not used it yet but will be soon

How long did it take to arrive?

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #211 on: 17:01:42, 06/03/17 »
New boots purchased last week. Just been for their first proper walk - 13.1 miles on very wet and muddy paths. Very pleased with them.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #212 on: 11:46:41, 07/03/17 »
Not exactly "gear" but just as important. I just got a Cicerone guide off ebay for £2, the Tour Of The Lake District.

A 93 mile circular walk starting from Windermere (if you choose) and heading through Ambleside, Coniston, Eskdale, Wasdale, Buttermere, Keswick, Grasmere and Patterdale with some low and high alternatives.

The book gives an itinerary for 8 days but it can be shortened.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

SplanK

« Reply #213 on: 13:55:58, 17/03/17 »
Karrimor Mount Low 7... lets see how these hold up against >40 miles a week pavement pounding!

Well.... they didn't last very long at all  :D!  120 miles and the sole had significant ware in some areas so took them back yesterday for a full refund.  That and they were not that comfortable either!

Picked up some Regatta Burrell Mid boots this morning for £45 from GO (black version should have been £75... but with the help of google and their 10% better discount offer!).  The Vibram sole on this seems to have a much deeper than anything else I could find and didn't appear too soft.  Took them on a 7 mile plod around town as soon as I got home with no issues...  Not holding much hope on the water proofness of them, but all they have to do is resist the odd puddle!

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #214 on: 23:45:41, 11/05/17 »
Jetboil Minimo arrives tuesday, looking forward to giving it an outing the following weekend.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #215 on: 13:08:12, 19/05/17 »
Scarpa Terra GTX boots

buntonn

« Reply #216 on: 14:23:26, 19/05/17 »

Merrell Moab GTX walking shoesMSR Groundhog tent pegs
Wainwright's Guide book 3
Desperately trying to escape and venture in the wild outdoors...

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #217 on: 14:34:01, 19/05/17 »
Jetboil Minimo arrives tuesday, looking forward to giving it an outing the following weekend.

Should have arrived Tuesday, still waiting :( Bad Form Cotswold Outdoor.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #218 on: 19:04:38, 20/05/17 »
Not good Bhod - and I wanted your review as I am keen on getting something similar.

I appear to have bought a new waterproof from the berghaus outlet at Gretna. Reduced from £130 to £52. A Light hike hydro shell jacket.  Tested it out today in light rain - kept me dry, wind proof, functional.  Not too much condensation. I would not have forked out full price for it. But for a light waterproof to stuff in the day sack in the summer it is fine.
Would recommend it on today's try out. Just found  the link http://www.berghaus.com/light-hike-womens-waterproof-jacket/421552.html

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #219 on: 08:51:21, 21/05/17 »
Not good Bhod - and I wanted your review as I am keen on getting something similar.

Apparently the item I ordered was coming into Cotswold from the "supplier" and they haven't as yet delivered them.  Hopefully the helpful customer services assistant will be true to her word and find out what the supply problem was and get back to me with an expected arrival date, hopefully it will be before this coming weekend as I had planned on taking it with me for the walk up to Gaping Gill.

Still think it's bad form from Cotswold though not keeping me informed of the situation but rather leaving it up to me to chase them up.

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #220 on: 10:24:50, 21/05/17 »
Just received a blow up mattress - about 18 quid - from China. 390g, 30mm thick - Bargain on eBay. Can't believe that years ago I was spending about 90-100 for ones which were just as good
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #221 on: 10:35:20, 21/05/17 »
Just received a blow up mattress - about 18 quid - from China. 390g, 30mm thick - Bargain on eBay. Can't believe that years ago I was spending about 90-100 for ones which were just as good

Question is....will it last as long?
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #222 on: 11:34:03, 21/05/17 »
Question is....will it last as long?

Probably maybe :-) Even it lasts only a third as long its still a bargain
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #223 on: 12:20:59, 21/05/17 »
Not exactly a new purchase, just something I spent money on to improve my camping experience, at least I hope it will.

I have a one man Marmot Pulsar 1 tent and I have to admit I like it a lot. Its very spacious for one, I can easily sit upright in it and its easy to erect.

As a camper I have always wanted to find a way of getting a better appreciation of whats outside my tent when I am wild camping, until recently I had to rely on sound only and then make a judgement as to whether I unzip my outer tent to properly make sure what's there.

So I went to a sailmaker and he has cut, sowed and waterproofed four 3" x 6" see-through panels about 4" from the base of my outer tent, two on the front and two on the rear of the tent.

My inner tent is mesh so I should be able at least to see, if I hear a noise that bothers me, if it has two or four legs and how close the individual or beast is to me!

I never worried about this until 2015 when wild camping in the Pyrenees. I was rudely awakened by what at first I thought was Wild Boar! It wasn't, it was a group of large domesticated sows who tried to get in my tent with me! I first heard them grunting, then a couple of big snotty snouts tried to lift my outer tent from the ground and I then had to jump out of my tent to confront them! All very exciting but since them I've thought a few times that it 'could' have been Wild Boar. I wonder what I would have done or coped if it was?

wobblyknees

« Reply #224 on: 22:21:39, 22/05/17 »
I damaged my old Paramo Cascada pants by ripping the leg and ruining the ¾ length zip near the hem. I decided to send them back to Paramo for repair and leg shortening. On checking their website, repairs were going to cost at least £142.50 plus postage. Cost of brand new Cascada 2 pants is £145 from Paramo and £120 from Paramo Seconds.

I decided this was better value but on checking the spec I noted the new pants are lighter than the originals. (Is anybody else noticing a trend among manufacturers to lighter and lighter materials). I didn't want a scaled down version so a web search showed that some shops are offloading the original Cascadas at reduced prices. I bought a pair here for £85 inc. postage

http://www.foothills.uk.com/sale-paramo-cascada-trousers-mens-521-p.asp

A good outcome.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy