Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 295707 times)

Peakandfell

Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #255 on: 21:52:15, 05/06/17 »
I run an online gear store and regularly get equipment to check out. My last purchase was a Jack Wolfskin Northern Sky jacket which went to Iceland with me. Superb outer shell that is just as much at home on the streets as in the hills. For really cold weather I can get a light down jacket underneath. I have it in grey/blue with a bright orange lining.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing.
Peak and Fell Outdoor Gear Store [nofollow]

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #256 on: 18:25:51, 12/06/17 »
Just been to the Altberg factory and treated myself to a new pair of Tethera boots. I've only worn them around the house so far,  but it feels like I'm wearing a pair of slippers.  :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #257 on: 18:43:06, 12/06/17 »
Just bought a small pouch to hold my Lidl cashews, walnuts and almonds. I'm starting the Pennine Journey tomorrow and I can't leave without nuts!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #258 on: 18:57:22, 12/06/17 »
Just bought a small pouch to hold my Lidl cashews, walnuts and almonds. I'm starting the Pennine Journey tomorrow and I can't leave without nuts!

Yes - you would be nuts to go without your nuts.  I usually meet the odd nut on my walks - failing that there is the loose nut located between my trekking poles keeping my rucksack off the ground.
Solvitur Ambulando

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #259 on: 23:17:32, 12/06/17 »
Just been to the Altberg factory and treated myself to a new pair of Tethera boots. I've only worn them around the house so far,  but it feels like I'm wearing a pair of slippers.  :)

Just wondering. I'm thinking of getting some Altbergs myself, do they mix and match sizes to allow for different sized feet?

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #260 on: 08:09:37, 13/06/17 »

Just wondering. I'm thinking of getting some Altbergs myself, do they mix and match sizes to allow for different sized feet?

I'm not sure that anywhere (including the Altberg factory) offers that unless you're prepared to buy both pairs. No harm in phoning or emailing them to ask though.

Whalley Warm & Dry are Altberg Premier Retailers and may be a bit nearer for you to travel to. Their boot fitters are trained at the Altberg factory and they have an excellent reputation with customers travelling from all over the country to use their boot fitting services.

http://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/boot-fitting-service/

I can personally recommend them and the best advice I can offer you is to book an appointment, go with an open mind and be prepared to be guided by the advice and expertise they offer.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #261 on: 08:20:44, 13/06/17 »

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question either Peter.  I'm fortunate enough to have both feet the same size, although I do normally have trouble buying boots and shoes as I have long and narrow feet.

DartmoorWildCamper

« Reply #262 on: 13:08:13, 13/06/17 »
I just used my recently purchased sit mat, I'm fed up getting a damp backside! It's now an essential part of my kit  :coolsmiley:

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #263 on: 14:11:25, 13/06/17 »
A trip to Taunton today while getting over the scratches from yesterday's trip on the SWCP.
Bought 2 tins of Leder Gris from Taunton Leisure - the only place round here that seems to stock it
From Go Outdoors a pair of Sorbathane Double Strikes to replace the pair of Sida insoles that are now well past their best. I also took the chance to increase my stock of long sleeved trekking shirts with 2 Craghoppers Nosilife Adventurer shirts in preparation for a forthcoming trip to the Austrian Alps and OS maps 115 and 116 to support my assault on the southern SWCP.
Solvitur Ambulando

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #264 on: 17:59:30, 13/06/17 »
A trip to Taunton today while getting over the scratches from yesterday's trip on the SWCP.
Bought 2 tins of Leder Gris from Taunton Leisure - the only place round here that seems to stock it
From Go Outdoors a pair of Sorbathane Double Strikes to replace the pair of Sida insoles that are now well past their best. I also took the chance to increase my stock of long sleeved trekking shirts with 2 Craghoppers Nosilife Adventurer shirts in preparation for a forthcoming trip to the Austrian Alps and OS maps 115 and 116 to support my assault on the southern SWCP.

Taunton Leisure have a branch in Exeter that may be closer to you.

Murphy

« Reply #265 on: 18:38:19, 13/06/17 »
I would second what Kinkyboots has said.  I wouldn't go anywhere else for my boots...they offer an excellent service and cater for all needs.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #266 on: 18:51:17, 13/06/17 »

Taunton Leisure have a branch in Exeter that may be closer to you.

Thanks. I know about them but I needed to go Go too and, whilst the Exeter stores are closer geographically, I wanted to see the Taunton stores and timewise there isn't much in it since the direct route to Exeter involves 10 miles of Devon lanes followed by a run in from Crediton.
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #267 on: 07:45:59, 14/06/17 »

Thanks. I know about them but I needed to go Go too and, whilst the Exeter stores are closer geographically, I wanted to see the Taunton stores and timewise there isn't much in it since the direct route to Exeter involves 10 miles of Devon lanes followed by a run in from Crediton.

How did the Taunton stores compare with those in Exeter?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #268 on: 12:45:25, 14/06/17 »
I'm not sure that anywhere (including the Altberg factory) offers that unless you're prepared to buy both pairs. No harm in phoning or emailing them to ask though.

Whalley Warm & Dry are Altberg Premier Retailers and may be a bit nearer for you to travel to. Their boot fitters are trained at the Altberg factory and they have an excellent reputation with customers travelling from all over the country to use their boot fitting services.

http://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/boot-fitting-service/

I can personally recommend them and the best advice I can offer you is to book an appointment, go with an open mind and be prepared to be guided by the advice and expertise they offer.

Yes I was thinking of going there thanks.
I know I wouldn't ask or expect a retailer to split a par of boots, but at a factory every boot is simply added to a matching size to make a pair. Logically they simply return each boot to the appropriate size coming off the line. Then it gets matched back in.  ::)
Its because they take a pride in ensuring a proper fit that I assume they would do this?

I was unaware of any difference in my feet (beyond a bunion on one) until quite recently. Though I gather that lots of people have different size feet (maybe not a big difference). Mine is just a half size I think.
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #269 on: 14:32:31, 14/06/17 »
How did the Taunton stores compare with those in Exeter?

There is not a lot to choose between the two Go stores, the Exeter store is perhaps a little larger. The Exeter TL store is bigger and better presented than the Taunton store. Incidentally, both stores sold the Craghoppers shirt I was after but it was £10 cheaper in Go.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy