Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292526 times)

marmottungsten

Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #420 on: 00:16:59, 02/06/18 »

Yes, I tried various Molle bits and pieces. They contributed to the fortune I've paid out.
One successful (in part) item was a standard dry bag which I stitched onto a belt. Worked very well for putting gloves and hat into. Just not quite perfect.
One of the concepts I was working towards was having items quickly to hand. I've found that too many trousers no longer have good cargo pockets. So I was trying to figure out a 'belt' that would replace trouser pockets. Needs to be waterproof. Something that can go over rain pants and coats.

Again, Zpacks seem to be the only company offering what you are looking for: http://www.zpacks.com/images/accessories/multipack/multipack-waist-l.jpg

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #421 on: 00:27:37, 02/06/18 »
So I was trying to figure out a 'belt' that would replace trouser pockets. Needs to be waterproof. Something that can go over rain pants and coats.
I got a quite cheap bumbag from mountain warehouse soaked it in Fabsil.
Keep phone, gloves, cash, cards, keys passport, etc in it plus a few snack bars. Never had a problem with getting into it or keeping things dry. Really lightweight cheapo option.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #422 on: 09:52:09, 02/06/18 »
In the endless search for the perfect backpacking pack I've just ordered one of these https://www.atompacks.co.uk/product-page/the-prospector costom made to order.
I've a lightwave ultrahike 60 for long trips where I need to carry two weeks food and my kit.
I've an OMM classic 32lt for 1-2 night trips but it's a real squeeze for any longer.
At 40lt + mesh pockets the Atom pack should fill the gap between the other two. 

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #423 on: 15:10:28, 02/06/18 »
Not seen those before, let us know what you think when it arrives  O0
Where there's a will ...

dank86

« Reply #424 on: 19:10:40, 07/06/18 »
DD 3X3 tarp, can't wait to use it tbf looks very good

MichaelUK

« Reply #425 on: 17:49:41, 09/06/18 »
Big Agnus Fly Creek HV UL 1 tent. £174 from Sportspursuit

marmottungsten

« Reply #426 on: 18:23:51, 09/06/18 »
Big Agnus Fly Creek HV UL 1 tent. £174 from Sportspursuit

There are four main problems with the Fly Creek HV UL1...   1) They are very flimsy in construction, so will rip or tear easily. 2) They are made from Nylon, which is easily damaged by the UV light in sunlight outdoors so the fabric will degrade over time, making it even easier to rip or tear. 3) Nylon absorbs water, so the rain fly will sag when wet, which can both loosen your guy lines (and if it is windy out this can cause you real issues) and allow the rain fly to touch the inner tent allowing any condensation inside to run down and into the mesh inner, leaving you and your kit wet. 4) Because the door is on the front, and partially covered by the top of the vestibule, you have no choice but to crawl into it on your hands and knees...And if the bare ground inside the vestibule space is wet and/or muddy, your hands and knees will get dirty and muddy too! It is a terrible design.  It's only saving grace is it's light weight...But I don't mind carrying a bit more weight to allow me to have a better designed tent, with more space inside, made with much longer lasting materials and with a rain fly that won't sag when it gets wet, which stops my guy lines loosening and keeps me much drier.  But I am sure you must have been well aware of these issues and decided you are prepared to live with them, or you wouldn't have bought a Fly Creek HV UL1.
« Last Edit: 18:31:06, 09/06/18 by marmottungsten »

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #427 on: 18:29:31, 09/06/18 »

But I don't mind carrying a bit more weight to allow me to have a better designed tent, with more space inside, made with much longer lasting materials and with a rain fly that won't sag when it gets wet. 

I never thought I'd see something like that from 'the micro-gram counter'

Comfort can often trump weight.

marmottungsten

« Reply #428 on: 18:45:41, 09/06/18 »

I never thought I'd see something like that from 'the micro-gram counter'

Comfort can often trump weight.

Not often, just occasionally, but when buying a tent this is one occasion when quality, practicality and comfort do matter more than the weight.  If I was going to buy tent with low weight being my priority, it would be something made by Zpacks, because they are made from from DCM (previously known as Cuben Fibre), which is even lighter than Nylon, but much stronger and it does not absorb water (in fact DCM is one of the most waterproof fabrics available (typically 15000mm head!).  Most of their tent designs have side doors for easier access, and some have one on either side so you can get real through breeze on hot days or so you can just enjoy the view outside more easily from inside.  They are not cheap though, but that is to be expected as most of the best ultralight kit is expensive.
« Last Edit: 00:40:03, 10/06/18 by marmottungsten »

scottk

« Reply #429 on: 23:48:57, 09/06/18 »
I would go for a tarptent Notch Lithium as I prefer double wall tents. The z pack tents are nice but I'm wary of them outside of the good weather.

MichaelUK

« Reply #430 on: 17:55:08, 10/06/18 »

There are four main problems with the Fly Creek HV UL1...   1) They are very flimsy in construction, so will rip or tear easily. 2) They are made from Nylon, which is easily damaged by the UV light in sunlight outdoors so the fabric will degrade over time, making it even easier to rip or tear. 3) Nylon absorbs water, so the rain fly will sag when wet, which can both loosen your guy lines (and if it is windy out this can cause you real issues) and allow the rain fly to touch the inner tent allowing any condensation inside to run down and into the mesh inner, leaving you and your kit wet. 4) Because the door is on the front, and partially covered by the top of the vestibule, you have no choice but to crawl into it on your hands and knees...And if the bare ground inside the vestibule space is wet and/or muddy, your hands and knees will get dirty and muddy too! It is a terrible design.  It's only saving grace is it's light weight...But I don't mind carrying a bit more weight to allow me to have a better designed tent, with more space inside, made with much longer lasting materials and with a rain fly that won't sag when it gets wet, which stops my guy lines loosening and keeps me much drier.  But I am sure you must have been well aware of these issues and decided you are prepared to live with them, or you wouldn't have bought a Fly Creek HV UL1.
The majority of tents in that price range, full price that is, are made from nylon - various deniers. The choice of front or side opening can still lead to a potential wet entry\ exit. Im not defending my purchase, as I bought it because it was cheap! I have no experience with tents or camping, but Im sure that will develop as time goes on. Will wait and see how well, or not, the tent performs. I did read and watch several reiews and none were overly negative. Personal preference and experience I suppose.

FOX160

« Reply #431 on: 18:33:51, 11/06/18 »
Bought a Yamama Mountain Gear Swiftline 2 recently https://www.yamamountaingear.com/swiftline-2P/
Only 962grams without carbon stakes at 66grams plus a new Hyberg rucksack https://hyberg.de/produkt/hyberg-attila-x-ultraleicht-rucksack/  and a new stormin cone together with at Toaks 135ml ti pot.
« Last Edit: 18:53:57, 11/06/18 by FOX160 »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #432 on: 18:51:38, 11/06/18 »
My latest walking kit purchase was some new socks and a fleece.

marmottungsten

« Reply #433 on: 00:48:58, 12/06/18 »
Bought a Yamama Mountain Gear Swiftline 2 recently https://www.yamamountaingear.com/swiftline-2P/
Only 962grams without carbon stakes at 66grams plus a new Hyberg rucksack https://hyberg.de/produkt/hyberg-attila-x-ultraleicht-rucksack/  and a new stormin cone together with at Toaks 135ml ti pot.

Not bad...My only concern is that you have to have hiking poles with you in order to set it up and that is a real drawback.  Suppose you forget your hiking poles...you could use some mouldy old branches to do the same job but then you would have to worry about breathing in mould spores all night and that would probably keep you you up all night!  And unless there is forest around, you may not even have access to old branches in the first place.  Another reason I don't like tents that rely on hiking poles to erect them, is if you find a nice site to set up your tent, say at the bottom of a hill or mountain summit and pitch your tent there and then decide to climb up the hill or mountain above you to enjoy the view...You get half way up and realise you are struggling with the steep incline and you suddenly realise you don't have your hiking sticks with you anymore because they are still holding your tent up in the valley below!  I have seen several youtube videos where hikers have experienced this same scenario.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #434 on: 07:46:56, 12/06/18 »

The majority of tents in that price range, full price that is, are made from nylon - various deniers. The choice of front or side opening can still lead to a potential wet entry\ exit. Im not defending my purchase, as I bought it because it was cheap! I have no experience with tents or camping, but Im sure that will develop as time goes on. Will wait and see how well, or not, the tent performs. I did read and watch several reiews and none were overly negative. Personal preference and experience I suppose.

Looks like an excellent 3 season lightweight tent to me!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy