Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292569 times)

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #450 on: 13:38:16, 13/06/18 »
I have visited Decathlon stores in Greece, Italy, Cyprus and Tenerife, as well as in the UK (Reading is the closest one to me)...They don't sell much ultralight lightweight kit so the only thing I find them handy for is for somewhere cheap to buy gas canisters (In Venice you can't get gas canisters for a BRS3000T and you have to visit the Decathlon store on the mainland, several hours away, just to get one)  However, now I have ditched using gas in favour of solid fuel tablets, because they are lighter, I have little reason to visit Decathlon.  I did buy a pair of trekking trainers from their Rome branch whilst I was out there (which lasted years), but haven't found anything in there since that I couldn't buy cheaper online.

They do cheap as hell base layers, rucksacks and I'd send anyone beginning a life of camping in the hills there to save themselves a few pennies, not to mention the base layers/synthetics are functionally very similar to more expensive models.  I do agree ordering online can be brilliant, but there is also the truth that if we do not support bricks and mortar stores then they will close and high streets turn to an absolute barren wasteland.   

marmottungsten

« Reply #451 on: 13:58:56, 13/06/18 »

They do cheap as hell base layers, rucksacks and I'd send anyone beginning a life of camping in the hills there to save themselves a few pennies, not to mention the base layers/synthetics are functionally very similar to more expensive models.  I do agree ordering online can be brilliant, but there is also the truth that if we do not support bricks and mortar stores then they will close and high streets turn to an absolute barren wasteland.   

Yes, but it's simply cheaper to buy online and that is the most important thing to most buyers.  If the greedy high St stores don't lower their prices in order to compete with cheaper online sellers, then yes, they will go the way of the Dodo...But how many really care?

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #452 on: 14:08:27, 13/06/18 »

Yes, but it's simply cheaper to buy online and that is the most important thing to most buyers.  If the greedy high St stores don't lower their prices in order to compete with cheaper online sellers, then yes, they will go the way of the Dodo...But how many really care?

What a load of ill-informed drivel.
I suppose you go into 'Go-Outdoors' (other 'real stores' are available) take an hour or two of their time and try all of the different brands and sizes of boots on, then once you know exactly what brand and size you require go and order them on ebay (other on-line suppliers available)

How do you expect high-street stores to be competitive when they are paying huge rent, rates, staff wages, pensions, holiday pay etc etc. Your 'on-line' supplier has a shed with a limited range of sizes and virtually no overheads.

To answer your question "who really cares ?" - I DO !!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #453 on: 15:14:17, 13/06/18 »

That's not really fair on the many small independent outdoor stores; it's not a matter of greed; they're just struggling to survive.

And I care too.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #454 on: 15:34:13, 13/06/18 »

I suppose you go into 'Go-Outdoors' (other 'real stores' are available) take an hour or two of their time and try all of the different brands and sizes of boots on, then once you know exactly what brand and size you require go and order them on ebay (other on-line suppliers available)

How do you expect high-street stores to be competitive when they are paying huge rent, rates, staff wages, pensions, holiday pay etc etc. Your 'on-line' supplier has a shed with a limited range of sizes and virtually no overheads.

That's a bit harsh. He's dead right that for most people, price comes first. And convenience and choice come a close second - the internet often wins on these, hence the decline of shops.
Also for a lot of people going for the cheapest isn't a choice, it's a necessity.

Where he's wrong is the greed thing. Some shops used to be greedy when they had a semi-monopoly in a town, but those days are over and now they're generally as reasonable as they can afford to me.

Re: Decathlon - I don't think you can get stuff much cheaper online. They're already very cheap. I don't see any online retailers beating Decathlon for the synthetic underwear Gunwharfman bought there. They're generally not selling the cream of lightweight gear but they usually sell well-priced gear. I've got plenty of it.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #455 on: 15:44:34, 13/06/18 »
Go outdoors, Cotswold etc will price match if asked and if their terms and conditions are met.  Always worth asking so you get the cheapest price but also support local retailers.
Where there's a will ...

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #456 on: 15:45:35, 13/06/18 »

That's a bit harsh. He's dead right that for most people, price comes first...……..

It may be harsh, but in response to :

If the greedy high St stores don't lower their prices in order to compete with cheaper online sellers, then yes, they will go the way of the Dodo...But how many really care?

It is clear that he has a limited (if any) understanding in the costs involved in running a 'bricks & mortar' business and employing staff.

Where is the evidence to support the accusation of 'greedy High St stores' ?
Look at their accounts and see how much they are making - particularly the smaller independents with limited purchasing power.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #457 on: 17:40:35, 13/06/18 »

Well said. This is actually what it is really all about.  Those who try on things in a store then buy online actually cost the high street shop real money, which the tax avoiding online companies benefit from.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #458 on: 18:29:06, 13/06/18 »
Well done marmottungsten.  Your trolling has finally paid off ... you've got the discussion wildly off topic and caused genuine forum members to bicker amongst themselves  O0

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #459 on: 18:34:32, 13/06/18 »
Well done marmottungsten.  Your trolling has finally paid off ... you've got the discussion wildly off topic and caused genuine forum members to bicker amongst themselves  O0
+1  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #460 on: 18:56:35, 13/06/18 »
I rather enjoy reading his posts but probably for all the wrong reasons  :)

Oh and I care about the high street shops too. Boots, rucksacks especially, I always buy from the shop I've tried them on in regardless of price. If the shops aren't there for us to try things for size it would make buying these things more problematic.

« Last Edit: 19:00:16, 13/06/18 by April »
Hate will never win

nesty

« Reply #461 on: 21:24:21, 13/06/18 »
Just my 2p about the high street and online.
The thing the High street has to learn is to keep actual stock. The amount of times I have made a specific trip and there is nothing in stock to try on. Then you enquire only to be told you can order it online from them, but it's chargeable return postage if it doesn't fit! Decathlon stores I find them ok though, base layers are good value for money, have a few!

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #462 on: 21:57:34, 13/06/18 »
Just my 2p about the high street and online.
The thing the High street has to learn is to keep actual stock. The amount of times I have made a specific trip and there is nothing in stock to try on.

I find that a quick telephone call before departure tends to give the required information.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #463 on: 22:01:42, 13/06/18 »
I find that a quick telephone call before departure tends to give the required information.

Yes call ahead or some shops have stock levels you can check online before you go too.
Hate will never win

nesty

« Reply #464 on: 22:17:56, 13/06/18 »

Yes of course I never thought of doing that when my trip maybe involving 3 or 4 shops by the time I have waited on the phone for their reply I could be in town!   

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy