Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 295800 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #495 on: 08:18:04, 24/06/18 »

Knowing that no rucksack is going to be always 100% watertight I use a 'garden waste' heavy duty bin bag, weight 47g, cost a few pennies.
Fits inside the pack as a 'liner', top rolls over, does the job for me.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Perfect.

The simple solutions are always the best. And often the cheapest.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

marmottungsten

« Reply #496 on: 14:44:21, 24/06/18 »

Knowing that no rucksack is going to be always 100% watertight

Clearly you have not discovered the Mountain Hardware Outdry rucksack range then!...They are so waterproof you can even go swimming with them on and everything inside will stay bone dry...And if you don't believe me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhFeecwF_24&t=12s

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #497 on: 18:05:05, 24/06/18 »

Clearly you have not discovered the Mountain Hardware Outdry rucksack range then!...They are so waterproof you can even go swimming with them on and everything inside will stay bone dry...And if you don't believe me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhFeecwF_24&t=12s

Indeed. In my former work I used cheapo 60 litre drybag rucsacs from Lomo - so waterproof that we could just throw them into the sea when we were making beach landings on remote islands (I had an unusual job). They were heavy, though, but I'm sure that there are lighter alternatives.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #498 on: 18:18:00, 24/06/18 »
That's useful to know MMT. I often like to go swimming wearing nothing but a rucksack ;)

But in all seriousness, I use clear ziplok type plastic bags (free from work!) to keep my stuff dry. They also float in water when sealed should I ever happen upon a situation that required it.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #499 on: 18:29:37, 24/06/18 »
That's useful to know MMT. I often like to go swimming wearing nothing but a rucksack ;)

Remind me to attend your next Lakes holiday, just to check, lol
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #500 on: 18:54:22, 24/06/18 »
Lol. Trust me. You'll think Nessie has relocated!

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #501 on: 10:18:16, 25/06/18 »
I see that I'm not alone in looking for a 'water carrier' that is actually well designed.
Last year I tried moving to vacuum bottles that are lightweight metal and therefore robust. FAIL.

My idea is this, all bladder type carriers are meant to slip into the pocket on the rucksack and be next to our backs. yet they all are designed to become bottles when in use.
Why not add gussets to the design so that a shape can be created that has less impact? The bladder could then occupy more space whilst being maybe as little as 1/2 inch thick. The possibilities become endless with the use of gussets to add shape,,

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Hazy81

« Reply #502 on: 13:17:02, 26/06/18 »
I've been stalking the forum for a while now and as I'm going on an overnight wild camp on Saturday I have bought a few things recently. I've bought a 3l water bladder to go in my other new purchase, a new Viking Patrol 60l rucksack :)

To be honest I could / should have gone for a much lighter pack, but it fits everything in and has so many pockets as to make the extra weight worth it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #503 on: 18:19:55, 26/06/18 »

I've been stalking the forum for a while now and as I'm going on an overnight wild camp on Saturday I have bought a few things recently. I've bought a 3l water bladder to go in my other new purchase, a new Viking Patrol 60l rucksack :)

To be honest I could / should have gone for a much lighter pack, but it fits everything in and has so many pockets as to make the extra weight worth it.

Welcome to the forum, Hazy, and enjoy your wild camp.

Nomad32

« Reply #504 on: 19:57:03, 26/06/18 »

I found that platypus bags or comebacks taint my water with a horrid plastic taste. I use smart water bottles. A because they I light B because they are easy to fill with a Sawyer mini. C because they fit in my bags side pockets for quick access and D they are easy and cheap to replace when they get too dirty.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #505 on: 20:26:52, 26/06/18 »
The one I have doesn't give out a plastic taste. I've tried bottles in my side pouches but my arms won't bend enough to reach them  ;D
Where there's a will ...

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #506 on: 20:44:56, 26/06/18 »
The one I have doesn't give out a plastic taste. I've tried bottles in my side pouches but my arms won't bend enough to reach them  ;D

I had the same issues so ended up with one of these fastened onto my shoulder strap

Is adjustable and fits everything from a standard 500ml supermarket water bottle to a 'chubby', wide mouth 650ml bottle to ??? ??

£2 on ebay:

Hazy81

« Reply #507 on: 15:23:51, 27/06/18 »

Thanks Richard, luckily we've planned to camp around Buxton and not Saddleworth, really bad what's happening there at the moment. I live about 15 miles away and I could smell the smoke with my windows open this morning!

Hazy81

« Reply #508 on: 15:24:49, 27/06/18 »
I found that platypus bags or comebacks taint my water with a horrid plastic taste. I use smart water bottles. A because they I light B because they are easy to fill with a Sawyer mini. C because they fit in my bags side pockets for quick access and D they are easy and cheap to replace when they get too dirty.

On the reviews of the one I've got it says there is no plastic taste, but I guess time will tell :)

Ronin83

« Reply #509 on: 11:44:08, 02/07/18 »
Recently I bought a British army tarp in perfect condition, then some paracord(can u see where this so going?). I haven't used it before so I'm trying to learn a simple setup and pack away routine for tying it to 2 trees. YouTube helps.
Think I need a hammock next.
Also got an east German kidney shape mess tin set. I chose that because I wanted a tin with a handle to hang over fire. Most tins seem to have a side handle. It seems to be a solid bit of basic kit and all stored together.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy