Author Topic: Trip Report-The Long Mynd,Shropshire  (Read 2437 times)

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
Trip Report-The Long Mynd,Shropshire
« on: 10:54:59, 10/05/09 »
Had a good day's walking last Tuesday in the Shropshire Hills.It was 9 1/4 miles with lots of up and down(sorry haven't yet figured out how to get the gps to tell me total ascent ::) )

The starting point was the Cardingmill valley where there is ample parking although national Trust car park so better have your wallet/purse handy.Tip....if you're going to eat lunch before setting off stay inside the car as at one point we were surrounded by man eating..ok sandwich hunting sheep knocking their heads on the car doors!!!Heres looking up the valley near the start of the walk

A good stiff climb followed on a good path to reach the Shropshire Way.Near the top the views started to open out

The top of the Long Mynd is huge and flat...a bit like Kinder Scout but with heather clad moorland instead of peat.It reminded me alot of exmoor up here.Upon meeting the Shropshire way path we headed for the summit of The Long Mynd, Pole Bank.....

On a clear day the view from the top would have been cracking and the mountains of Wales easily visible.As it was the weather was quite hazy and I just couldn't get a good photo so gave up lol.Form the top we decided to head towards Little Stretton.I really enjoyed this part of the walk as we were following a huge grassy path so navigation was fairly simple and the views back across to The Wrekin, Caer caradoc and Ragleth Hill were fab.Its kinda like walking in the mountains but on a smaller scale..mini mountains!This was the view into Ashes Hollow..

On the way down we came upon a large group of ponies, some with foals awww...at this point I became rather worried and started to wonder if anyone had ever been killed by stampeeding ponies ???I would have loved to take a photo but I was too busy sneaking past trying not to make eye contact!!I got to here before I dared....they are in the distance so you still can't see them but look at the nice path ;D

From here it all went a bit t**s up, as we are still novice map readers we managed to take the wrong path and had walked for a good half a mile before we realised that we were in fact heading back upto the top!!Even worse the path we should have taken went straight up and some miserable sod had not bothered putting a step upto the top of the stile >:(.After huffing and puffing to the top of this path we proceeded to then head back down again across farmland which then became woods.Upon reaching a road the path then goes straight back up...AGAIN....and climbs up gently through what under normal circumstances be lovely woodland.There were lots of wild flowers and masses of bluebells..we were just soooo weary and praying for a bit of level or down!!The final down bit(or so we thought) was through a park passing by an old Edwardian  reservoir.We could hear and see the traffic at Church Stretton and were thrilled that we were nearly back to the car...when......NNNOOOOOOOOOOO...Steps....bloody big steps...heading straight up.A nearby sign said it was called the hundred steps....lying gits.At this point I became a bit hysterical and some daft remark had me crying with laughter..which made climbing the steps even harder.It was then a nice gentle path back down to the valley and car which I have never been so glad to see in all my life!!!I know..I'm a wimp but  it had been tough on the legs this walk ;D.All in all a very enjoyable day out.

Yomper

• Account Closed
Re: Trip Report-The Long Mynd,Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: 13:33:41, 10/05/09 »
Sounds like you had a good days yomping  :)

Watch out for those evil, murderous ponies though, very sneaky  ;D

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:29:35, 11/05/09 »
Thanks for this report dizzy.

I never knew Shropshire was so hilly. The thing I love about this forum is that it opens your eyes to places you have never been to before. And the one thing I love is exploreing new places even if its means visiting the place once. After Yomper with Langollen and now this walk. Has opened my eyes to explore these new areas. Might try this walk in the summer. Thanks again  O0

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:59:01, 11/05/09 »
It's a cracking place to walk, has a different feel to anywhere else I've been.The hills here are kinda lone standing so you can see them from miles away.If you're ever driving around the shrewsbury bypass on a clear day just look to the left and you will see them sticking up over to the right of the wrekin.Because the land is very flat all around the view is great(on a clear day) and there are plenty of different routes around them so you can make the walk as long or short as you please.

Yomper

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: 04:07:12, 12/05/09 »
Welsh Borderlands or the Offa's Dyke Trail are a great days walk Mark  ;)

Must go and try them one weekday soon-ish  :)

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:25:12, 18/05/09 »
I really enjoyed reading that report, thank you Dizzy. And its always reassuring that I'm not the only person capable of going wrong.  ;D
~
Sue

fazzle

« Reply #6 on: 16:58:52, 18/05/09 »
Hi Dizzy.

In 1 month tomorrow I have a silver duke of edinburgh expedition to this very place! The shropshire way looks absolutely beautiful, and I am now looking forwards to it especially, thanks to your wonderful report. The Mynd itself looks a little bland, however, especially when you are right on top. Just looks flat, if you know what I mean.

I am starting to the north of the actual Long Mynd, and crossing it on the first day, to the town south of it (don't ask for the name!), then west, day two, and then on day three we follow the shropshire way the whole way back to the start pretty much, should be brilliant!

Many thanks for a wonderful report!   O0
Will.

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:17:07, 19/05/09 »
Hiya Fazzle,

You'll like it up there.There was a big group of d of e's while we were up there, the packs looked biger than the people wearing them ;D.It feel surprisingly wild up on top but there are good paths and the views are great.have a good un!

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:48:15, 19/05/09 »
Nice write up there Dizzy.   Lovely photos. 

:)
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Starling

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:35:43, 19/05/09 »
Hi Dizzy.  Brilliant report of the Long Mynd and sounds like a good day out.

I live in Shropshire and have spent many Sunday afternoons roaming around the place when I was younger.  Lately though, I seem to have spent a lot of time up by Shooting Box, Pole Bank and Ashes Hollow, mostly because I'm taking BELA (ABEL) and it's a good training area.   There is an excellent carpark which is free of charge, but I can't tell you where it is because it's one of Shropshire's best kept secrets. O0

Hi Frazzle.  The Long Mynd is a super place for DofE simply because you have to rely on reading contours to get your bearings - a real test, as GPS is strictly banned, I believe.

I'm off the the area this weekend to help with a Bronze group.  Camping in the cold, muddy rain.  Must be mad - I'm a volunteer for Jim's sake, and I volunteered to spend my bank holiday this way ??? Send my medal to ......

Just in case anyone is interested ... the Wrekin is often scoffed by 'real' hill walkers for being small.  However, it's also a training ground for nagivation as the lower parts can take hours to walk around, as does Brown Clee Hill.  Enjoy.
Life is a journey... always take the scenic route

fazzle

« Reply #10 on: 19:05:01, 24/05/09 »
haha yes I sometimes wonder why people bother...  ;D

and no GPS you are right, although I find that rule a little silly, because if it is preparing us for walking later in life, we would be using a GPS surely..? and there is absolutley NO REASON why we shouldn't use them, they are helpful and really important.
Will.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy