Author Topic: Delaying Lairig Ghru to September  (Read 2009 times)

myxpyr

Delaying Lairig Ghru to September
« on: 13:48:34, 11/08/19 »
With family commitments and nationwide horrible weather I've not been able to do the LG yet and if the trend continues I'm now looking at late, late August to mid September.
Can anyone give me any clues as to what the weather MIGHT be like in that time slot? Also when is sunrise/sunset that far north.
Thanks.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Delaying Lairig Ghru to September
« Reply #1 on: 14:38:49, 11/08/19 »
Day length at start of September is about 14 hours, reducing to 11.5 hours by the end of the month. This is Scotland, so the weather could be anything- wet and windy or sunny (less likely). I have often found weather is better in April, May and September than it is in July or August. I have lived in Scotland for over 20 years and been visiting for over 35.

PS day length is duration between sunrise and sunset at Aviemore. Shading from the mountains will reduce this.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:56:13, 12/08/19 »
At the moment here in the central belt it's light about 05.00 and the sun goes down around 21.30. Aviemore is roughly 100 mile north of here and will get light earlier and darker later until the equinox. After that it's the other way around. Although the difference is never very much.

The equinox is on the 23rd September when everyone gets 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of darkness.
« Last Edit: 14:05:35, 12/08/19 by Owen »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:16:57, 12/08/19 »
As for the weather, you might as well ask for next week's lottery numbers!

Best to check just a few days beforehand

http://www.mwis.org.uk/home

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:40:31, 12/08/19 »
If it helps at all, here is the monthly outlook:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/outlook
It is updated weekly.
But don't pin your hopes on what it says, it is only right sometimes.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:16:12, 13/08/19 »
Just to let you know - Autumn is already on the way. Leaves on the trees at the bottom of our garden are starting to turn yellow. It is quite normal for this to start in the second half of August. Temperatures are much colder this week than they have been. This is a few miles outside the Cairngorms National Park at 150m above sea level.

myxpyr

« Reply #6 on: 21:28:01, 18/08/19 »
Thinking about heading to Braemar circa 27th-28th August and play it by ear weather wise. Anyone any idea about the chances of thumbing a lif from Braemar to Linn of Dee?

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:57:45, 18/08/19 »
Quite possible if you look like a walker. We'll miss each other as I'll hopefully be crossing the Lairig Ghru on Tuesday 20th
« Last Edit: 22:03:36, 18/08/19 by Owen »

snoopdawg

« Reply #8 on: 22:01:59, 18/08/19 »
Can only try, been offered a lift a few times when on the main drag. It can be walked fairly quickly, under 3 hrs if I recall using the back road through Mar Lodge. Going up to the Cairngorms on the train on 24/09/2019 for 10 day backpack. Will probably be finishing through the Lairig Ghru to Aviemore 

scottk

« Reply #9 on: 21:22:51, 22/08/19 »
Don’t suppose you can bring a bike? Much easier riding in to Derry Lodge on a bike. Its about 14k from Braemar and the road has a steady stream of cars at this time of year. I was along it about 3 weeks ago and although the weather started poorly, it was shorts and t shirts by the afternoon.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy