Author Topic: BARGAIN THREAD  (Read 256840 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: BARGAIN THREAD
« Reply #750 on: 16:10:23, 10/06/20 »
That has got to be a mistake on the seller's part, Kinky. Says £109.99 in the description lower down the page.

Wonder whether they would honour the £13.31 price??
Link already gone - page missing - so no I don't think they will  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #751 on: 16:24:27, 10/06/20 »
Link already gone - page missing - so no I don't think they will  ;)

Which would suggest to me that it's been removed by eBay to prevent fraud rather than it being ended by the seller due to an error in the listing?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #752 on: 17:45:45, 10/06/20 »
Hmm - I smell a rat.

£13.31 would hardly have covered the postage and packing in any case.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #753 on: 22:09:27, 23/06/20 »
I've just ordered a Lightwave T10 Trek one man 4 season tunnel tent from Crux-Direct for £129 inc postage, Brand new clearance stock.

https://crux-outlet.online/product/t10-trek

This is the predecessor to their T10 Trail tent, which currently retails at £299 direct from Lightwave, or £265 from Jackson Sports (5% voucher code is also available)

Good review here - https://backpackbrewer.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/lightwave-t10-trek-one-man-tent-a-review/ - the follow up comments are worth reading too.

I'll let you know how I get on with it.  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #754 on: 16:21:09, 01/07/20 »
Don't hold your breath but Aldi are having a 'Camping' special - I smiled when I saw that the quoted weight of their lightweight sleeping bag is 7.2kg - a typo, surely.

Possible of more interest is their 10Ah Li-ion power bank for £8.99, or their dirt cheap walking shoes/boots - might take a look at the shoes if I'm going past Ulverston soon (new store) - could be just the thing for local dog walks.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #755 on: 19:10:03, 01/08/20 »
Possible bargain for someone with the right size feet.

Altberg Tethera 3 season walking boots size 13 medium fit in almost new condition - asking £80 with collection from Bramhope, West Yorkshire (you could book Hermes or another courier to do the collection for you for around £8). I would guess that the price is possibly negotiable?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mens-boots/mens-altberg-tethera-walking-boots-for-sale/1380349185

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #756 on: 17:47:55, 03/08/20 »
I've just ordered a Lightwave T10 Trek one man 4 season tunnel tent from Crux-Direct for £129 inc postage, Brand new clearance stock.

https://crux-outlet.online/product/t10-trek

This is the predecessor to their T10 Trail tent, which currently retails at £299 direct from Lightwave, or £265 from Jackson Sports (5% voucher code is also available)

Good review here - https://backpackbrewer.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/lightwave-t10-trek-one-man-tent-a-review/ - the follow up comments are worth reading too.

I'll let you know how I get on with it.  :)

Thought that I had better give a bit of feedback now that I have used The Lightwave T10 Trek in anger.

Pros:
+ cheap for a high quality 4 season one man tent.
+ good quality materials - 40d silnylon and DAC alloy poles.
+ tough: it was pretty wild on my last trip, the tent got a real hammering in the gusting wind. I have confidence in it.
+ high enough to sit up in - definitely not a coffin!
+ the 4 spiral 'Breaker' tent pegs supplied are real bombers - just what you need for securing the front and rear of the fly - important in a tunnel design, and worth the extra weight (I pack 3 on a trip). Also supplied are aluminium nail and smaller spiral 'Wavelight' extruded pegs - I don't use the small spiral ones.
+ good after sales - for some reason the advertised Breaker pegs were missing, but a quick phone call sorted that. And spare poles for all of Lightwave's older designs are available. Not that I am expecting a breakage, but accidents happen.
+ British company - not that I am ultra patriotic about these things, but it is good to support a smaller British company.
+ solid inner.

Cons:
- inner first. But the inner has a water repellent finish. Lightwave claim that the inner first construction is stronger.
- a bit of a fiddle to pitch compared to 'all in one' designs. In particular, the outer is attached to the poles using velcro straps in no less than eight places - I presume this gives the tent extra strength and stability, so I shouldn't grumble. Took me about ten minutes on my last trip, but the wind was very strong, so I took my time.
- if you are careless about pitching the inner, there is a possibility that the aluminium nail tent pegs can damage the fly when you peg that out. I managed to tear a small hole in the base of the fly as a consequence of getting this wrong by leaving the inner tent peg protruding a couple of inches (now repaired). To avoid the possibility of this happening again, I have added 3 aluminium wire hook type pegs, with nicely rounded tops.
- the porch in particular flaps in strong winds.
- The silnylon flysheet seams are not sealed. I've been out in some very wet and windy weather, and haven't found this to be a problem in practice.

Weight - 1.7kg all in - not the lightest, but it is a tough 4 season tent.

Would I recommend it? A cautious YES, if you are serious about camping high in all seasons and are on a tight budget, but this is not a beginners tent.

« Last Edit: 13:10:28, 04/08/20 by richardh1905 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #758 on: 14:41:11, 04/08/20 »

- The silnylon flysheet seams are not sealed. I've been out in some very wet and windy weather, and haven't found this to be a problem in practice.

Tip: if it ever starts leaking (or you just need extra security), seam-sealing is easy to do by yourself. You can buy special sealer for that, but that is not what I would recommend because that commercial stuff is usually too thick in my opinion. I think self-made sealer is better (and cheaper too, although you need such small quantity that it works out about the same).

Best way to do it:
- Buy silicon in a DIY/ builder shop. Make sure you get the transparent NEUTRAL CURE version.
- Buy LOW ODOR white spirit
- Mix them very well in such quantities that the result has more or less the consistency of olive oil.
- Apply to the seams of your flysheet when the tent is set up and let it dry.

Because it is thin, it sinks into the places where it is required and when it dries it is hardly visible on your tent. You can also use it to paint some strips on the groundsheet of your tent (if that is also Silnylon) to make it less slippery. This will prevent your mattress from sliding around in your tent. (But don't overdo it because it attracts dirt too). I also use it to fix tiny holes that appear in my groundsheet over time, restoring (some of) its waterproof properties.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #759 on: 20:41:11, 04/08/20 »
Thanks for the tip, Birdman - I'll see how it goes, but leakage has been absolutely minimal despite spending the night out in severe wind blown downpours. The Groundsheet is PU, by the way.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #761 on: 09:50:12, 05/08/20 »

- Buy silicon in a DIY/ builder shop. Make sure you get the transparent NEUTRAL CURE version.
- Buy LOW ODOR white spirit
- Mix them very well in such quantities that the result has more or less the consistency of olive oil.
- Apply to the seams of your flysheet when the tent is set up and let it dry.

Before buying the 'wrong stuff', do you mean Silicon, or Silicone ?

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #762 on: 09:59:32, 05/08/20 »

Before buying the 'wrong stuff', do you mean Silicon, or Silicone ?

Make sure you get the NEUTRAL CURE version (the one that doesn't smell like vinegar). This one:

My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #763 on: 16:33:34, 05/08/20 »
Thank you, so its silicone (the sticky stuff) I need, not silicon (the mineral).

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #764 on: 10:05:28, 11/08/20 »
Anatom Q2 classic hiking boots here at £93 . Usually anything up to £145 elsewhere too.

https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/Anatom-Q2-Classic-Hiking-Boot-sku11123401.asp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3Paiq-WS6wIVCbDtCh1RFA2uEAYYASABEgI4nfD_BwE

I have two pairs , all leather , very comfortable & with Vibram soles .  O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy