Author Topic: Lake District Covoid camping rule breakers  (Read 2852 times)

watershed

Lake District Covoid camping rule breakers
« on: 18:00:11, 28/06/20 »

Hopefully headlines like these won't delay us being allowed to go wild camping

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-53210470

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Lake District Covoid camping rule breakers
« Reply #1 on: 20:03:54, 28/06/20 »
These types of people fall into the same category as the BBQ and litter brigade and don't represent normal lovers of the outdoors.

It wouldn't be much of a news article if the headline was "solo wild camper found respecting the countryside code and social distancing rules".

I think the authorities can tell the difference.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:30:25, 28/06/20 »
These types of people fall into the same category as the BBQ and litter brigade and don't represent normal lovers of the outdoors.

It wouldn't be much of a news article if the headline was "solo wild camper found respecting the countryside code and social distancing rules".

I think the authorities can tell the difference.
I am sure you are right Mel.  The problem comes in framing a rule or regulation that can.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:47:09, 28/06/20 »

The article mentions camp fires, damage and littering.  Certainly under current covid rules none of that is allowed/legal but even in normal times, causing damage is an offence.

I think the authorities come down hard on the types of folks in the article as they are breaking at least one law but would turn a blind eye to an obvious outdoor lover camping discreetly alone in the hills as they are breaking no law (current covid rules excepted, but I still think the two "types" would be treated differently).

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:08:33, 29/06/20 »
You will probably find that when the pubs open these kind of people will stay on campsites or in bunkhouses.They are a bit like rats in that they go near the source of food,or in their case,booze.

watershed

« Reply #5 on: 09:14:47, 29/06/20 »
You will probably find that when the pubs open these kind of people will stay on campsites or in bunkhouses.They are a bit like rats in that they go near the source of food,or in their case,booze.

Ha Ha yes I think you could well be right there Tonyk

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:40:17, 30/06/20 »
The article mentions camp fires, damage and littering.  Certainly under current covid rules none of that is allowed/legal but even in normal times, causing damage is an offence.

I think the authorities come down hard on the types of folks in the article as they are breaking at least one law but would turn a blind eye to an obvious outdoor lover camping discreetly alone in the hills as they are breaking no law (current covid rules excepted, but I still think the two "types" would be treated differently).

Discreetly is the key word - the authorities would have to have very sharp eyes and be prepared for a long walk in to find a solo wild camper tucked away in a hollow on the side of a fell somewhere - just not worth their bother as the barbecue 'n beer brigade that cause the mess usually can't be bothered to walk far from their cars.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:52:09, 06/07/20 »
Spotted some wild campers getting their packs ready at Tilberthwaite car park yesterday - for some reason I thought that they looked a bit furtive, maybe they couldn't quite believe that the Lockdown has ended as far as staying at home overnight is concerned.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:50:19, 25/07/20 »
It is not just in England that the wild areas are being trashed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-53528869

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:46:21, 09/08/20 »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-53713593

More lack of consideration for the local population and the environment. I always thought that promoting the NC500 would have a negative impact.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:55:53, 09/08/20 »
There is now a temproray ban on wild camping in the Bellever area od Dartmoor at present as a result of thoughtless behaviour and damage to the environment
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 23:17:29, 16/08/20 »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-53798298

When will it stop? I fear the only way to stop this is introduce truly punitive penalties for littering in National Parks, SSSIs and similar. £60 or £100 fixed penalties won’t make a difference, but  £6,000 or £10,000 might. Not everyone littering needs to be caught for this to be effective.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:16:23, 17/08/20 »

When will it stop? I fear the only way to stop this is introduce truly punitive penalties for littering in National Parks, SSSIs and similar. £60 or £100 fixed penalties won’t make a difference, but  £6,000 or £10,000 might. Not everyone littering needs to be caught for this to be effective.
A punishment needs to fit the crime.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:25:36, 18/08/20 »
A punishment needs to fit the crime.
That was what I was proposing.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:56:31, 20/08/20 »

Always been funny that you can get a £120 fine for staying 5 minutes over at an ANPR carpark (which is often accidental) yet littering and antisocial behaviour fines can be barely half that.

Anyway, I've been complaining about thoughtless National Park visitors since March so I'll try not to get on the same bandwagon - proper wild campers stay out of the way and often you won't even see them unless you walk right past.  It's essentially impossible for the authorities, unless they send rangers to popular spots and then you force everyone to less than optimal areas.  Mountain Rescue and particularly LDSAMRA are very busy at the moment, too, with an unsustainable level of callouts (it has doubled on 2019) over the last few weeks.  Hopefully the change in weather should take the edge off.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy