Author Topic: Best app for casual circular walks?  (Read 849 times)

Borischelski

Best app for casual circular walks?
« on: 20:21:21, 24/05/20 »
Hello

I am sorry to trouble you & apologies if a similar question may have been previously asked.

We have 2 dogs primarily focus on relatively simple circular walks/rambles around Surrey & Hampshire upto 10 miles max. Our preference is to follow established mapped walks.

We have all the various (quite old) local hard copy walking route books but have covered these to death !

Happy to pay for premium (monthly or annual) service be I am torn between the various options & in particular the OS & Alltrails apps - although happy to be persuaded towards others.

My (limited) understanding is that Alltrails incorporates more pre mapped routes & allows the oppressed to select preferences ie circular walks?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Again my apologies if this topic has been covered before.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Best app for casual circular walks?
« Reply #1 on: 20:44:33, 24/05/20 »
I think there are quite a few apps that might be of use to you. I use Wikiloc, you just tap in the name of the area you are in or a person's name and 'bingo' all the walks, runs, cycle rides, and so on pop up. You can just identify walking routes for example. It's very useful if you don't know a particular area.

To give it a try just download the app, filter to 'runs', put in 'Cosham' and all of my runs will be displayed for you.

You can if you want, map your own trails and you can send them to Skype, etc. I find it very useful when I'm hiking in France, I can post my routes off to Skype friends and my wife and son. 

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:50:13, 24/05/20 »
Get a paper OS map and stick a pin in it somewhere nice. Then using a piece of string draw a circle and finally try and follow that route on the ground.  Beware of cliffs though.  ;)

Yes I have had enough of Apps.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:59:47, 24/05/20 »
ViewRanger - free to download.  Using the find route option you can select by area, activity, length etc.  Requires a subscription to use OS mapping but open source maps are free.  Some routes may attract a small charge in "credits" to download/
OS Mapping App.  Requires an annual subscription to use OS mapping.  Also has a route search option.

Both apps run on a smart phone and you can follow the route using the phone gps.
Both apps have websites so you can search for routes on line and outload them to your phone.
Links here
https://my.viewranger.com/index/
https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/
Solvitur Ambulando

GoneWest

« Reply #4 on: 21:34:36, 24/05/20 »
Get a paper OS map and stick a pin in it somewhere nice. Then using a piece of string draw a circle and finally try and follow that route on the ground.  Beware of cliffs though.  ;)

Nice idea! You could probably run to a compass, though (the drawing kind).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy