Author Topic: Gloves  (Read 4729 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Gloves
« Reply #30 on: 18:13:00, 21/11/20 »
As stated I have solved my gloves matter in my own way, which works for me. My tube hand covers are very basic and even I know that they are a 'bodge,' but surely a designer could design something similar in a good way? For example a simple 'clip-on' 'velcro on' even magnetised perhaps, just to achieve the desired result. After all its not raining all of the time rain is generally an intermittent problem in my experience. For example, I can see the benefit of those simple cheap gardening gloves, easy to put on and off, treat them well or badly, easy and cheap to buy a new pair. The task as I understand it is to keep one's hands and gloves dry when it's wet, and of course to keep hands warm, I can honestly say that I have no problems in achieving this at all, but I don't think I could achieve it if I just relied on gloves or mittens. 

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #31 on: 17:10:54, 22/11/20 »
I like Buffalo mittens for when the temperature gets down to a few degrees above freezing. I have a larger pair, under which I can fit thin fleece gloves. However since I got them last year, temperatures have not been that low. I know it's tempting providence but we've not had really cold weather in Derbyshire for some years, by which I mean zero and below.
Dave

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 18:54:35, 22/11/20 »
I like Buffalo mittens for when the temperature gets down to a few degrees above freezing. I have a larger pair, under which I can fit thin fleece gloves. However since I got them last year, temperatures have not been that low. I know it's tempting providence but we've not had really cold weather in Derbyshire for some years, by which I mean zero and below.
Dave
We have had some cold weather in Aberdeenshire. It was -5 a couple of nights ago and we had the briefest dusting of snow. This year was the first in over 20 years living in Scotland when we had frosts in August. Winter is coming.

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 19:50:07, 22/11/20 »
Do Hely Hansen still do 'Everest Mitts' ? Mine must be 40 years old and still work great on those most cold days

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 23:14:29, 26/11/20 »
I have use something similar to these for more years than I can remember.  I buy mine at the local garden centre.

https://ppesuppliesdirect.com/pr/pvc-full-dip-r-gloves-fc320/

I wear my woolly gloves under them.  100% water proof.  Perfect for snowball fights when the kids were young and I had a pair in my ruck sack for this evenings walk.    O0

I have some of those gloves for garden work. But I’ve recently got a pair of similar ones but which have a synthetic knitted liner instead of the cotton. I’m thinking they should be warmer and deal with water getting in better?

They’re OneTouch 4131X if anyone is intera

Roburite

« Reply #35 on: 11:50:54, 28/11/20 »
The problem with UK walking is that when it's cold it is usually wet too I also struggled for years to find the right combination. Now I use Tegera 295 work gloves (also from safetygloves.co.uk £11.40 + postage). My tip is to get a pair bigger than you think you will need. Tight gloves (or socks) make cold extremities.

Pomster

« Reply #36 on: 12:55:50, 13/12/20 »
Never  found any...

What a few have recommended on here (and I'm going to try this winter) is to buy some cheap nylon/ latex (or rubber) waterproof household gloves and slip over a pair of wool gloves if/ when rain starts.

Before I took up paragliding I used to do motox and endurance racing, these gloves tend to be light so you dont lose any feeling. In colder/wet weather for many years i used latex surgical gloves underneath my main glove, the type with a sealed/tightish wrist.
The key is to blow in them and try to get pockets of air in the fingertips. They usually worked for a 20min mx race but gave up on a 3hr endurance race
Your mind is like a parachute, it works better when open

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 16:45:57, 02/01/21 »
At last, after sticking them on xmas and birthday gift lists for years, someone bought me the buffalo mitts.

Surprisingly light and very warm. I'm yet to try them in the rain but for the cold winter days, they do seem pretty damned good.

I'm intrigued by the whole pertex + pile idea in general and keep fighting off the urge to get a Buffalo or Montane shirt/jacket. I don't think it would get a lot of use but I like the idea of them

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 17:10:30, 02/01/21 »
I've decided that I need a glove (one will do) to work my phone when outdoors in the cold and still be able to keep my hand warm. Yesterday, the end of my index finger became so cold. A friend has suggested a really cheap pair from Screwfix?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy