Author Topic: Smart walking shoes (are Brashers worth it - is there something better?)  (Read 2542 times)

RogerA

This may be a silly thing, but I'm going out to buy myself some new work shoes - normally I buy fairly standard clarks black leather shoes and wear with a suit.

As I'm trying to get out and walk during my lunchtimes I was wondering whether there was something a little more sturdy but still smart enough for the office. This is I know somewhat ridiculous - theres no reason not to go for a stroll on tarmac pavements and paved pathways in the shoes I typically buy. I did however see an advert for brashers:
https://www.millets.co.uk/footwear/250743-brasher-mens-country-classic-walking-shoe-brown.html
and that got me thinking. These however are brown and I dont really know whether they're just shoes and nothing but shoes but just sold alongside walking boots.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Mel

• Veteran Member
They look like walking shoes to me (the sole pattern gives it away – a “normal” leather shoe would have a fairly smooth sole in comparison).

For my lunchtime pavement pounding, I just keep a pair of black trainers at work and change into those.  My feet appreciate the change of scenery too  :)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
The Brasher shoes have been available for many years, and if you can get some at the right price, they would make a great casual office shoe, and are suitable for walking in as well.
I can remember Cotswolds Rock Bottom in Bettws Y Coed, having numerous pairs of Brasher Shoes a few years ago.
They were very well made, and were styled like a normal office shoe, except they had a more rugged outdoors sole.

If you can buy them at the right price, (Certainly not £120)  :o  then they would be a a great purchase, and if their as comfortable as their boots, you cannot go far wrong.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
My wife has a pair of Mephisto's, had them for years, so confortable as well.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Now your talking, their not cheap, but there is no denying the quality and comfort of Mephisto footwear.
Until i actually looked at their website, i thought they were an Italian company, but the company was founded in France back in 1965.

If your budget will stretch to such high quality foot wear, they make great sense, as the quality of manufacture is stunning.

I suppose you get what you pay for in the long run, as i recon a pair of Mephisto shoes may last twice as long as something costing less, so paying good money may make sense.

RogerA

Now your talking, their not cheap,
I looked at their website and almost choked on my cup of tea ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
I agree, their not at the bargain end of the market, but the materials used, are very high quality, and that is represented in the price.
If you think Mophistos are pricey, check out a pair of Churches.
I wear Churches shoes, and the shoe will virtually last you a lifetime, as the quality of the leather in manufacture is one of the best available here in the Uk.

They are actually hand made and stitched, with only a machine needed to cut the leather, the rest is all done by hand.

A certain Mr Bond, in Ian Flemings novels, wore Churches.

There are one or two bespoke Italian companies who make shoes for the Pope, and have a shop in Milan, and if you have to ask, you probably cannot afford them, as they are custom fitted to the customers own preference and foot size and shape.

Mephisto is a high end shoe manufacturer, reflected in their price, but in this instance, they represent fair value for the quality of the goods being purchased.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
My wife bought her Mephisos before they were expensive. Firms like this 'choose' their market and advertise accordingly. I do not accept this idea that 'you get what you pay for' but obviously a lot of people do. I've bought expensive stuff and much of it has been good but I've never been convinced that because of their price they are better than everything else.

I read the other day that another expensive brand burns their unwanted stock to keep the price up! I think its called capitalism in action. I bet there are really good shoes out there at a fraction of the price, just waiting to be snapped up. My problem would be, where would I start looking? I think I would start at Millets or Mountain Warehouse first and then look around at other outlets for what I wanted.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
I agree, their not at the bargain end of the market, but the materials used, are very high quality, and that is represented in the price.
If you think Mophistos are pricey, check out a pair of Churches.
I wear Churches shoes, and the shoe will virtually last you a lifetime, as the quality of the leather in manufacture is one of the best available here in the Uk.

They are actually hand made and stitched, with only a machine needed to cut the leather, the rest is all done by hand.

A certain Mr Bond, in Ian Flemings novels, wore Churches.

There are one or two bespoke Italian companies who make shoes for the Pope, and have a shop in Milan, and if you have to ask, you probably cannot afford them, as they are custom fitted to the customers own preference and foot size and shape.

Mephisto is a high end shoe manufacturer, reflected in their price, but in this instance, they represent fair value for the quality of the goods being purchased.

My mate was left a pair of Churches in his dads will, Top class shoes...a good friend was a consultant in shoe industry, and he rated them.

jimbob

• Veteran Member

My mate was left a pair of Churches in his dads will, Top class shoes...a good friend was a consultant in shoe industry, and he rated them.
You kinda have to hope they had the same size feet :D
Too little, too late, too bad......

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
You kinda have to hope they had the same size feet :D

They did, which is why he got them rather than his brother...although the two of them joke that he had an op on his feet to bring that about.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
The brand that decided to burn their stock, rather than reduce it, were Burberry.
It was a sad day when Burberry closed their factory premises in Treorchy, in the Rhondda Valley a few years ago.
It had been there for close on thirty or so years, and employed a sizeable number of the local population.

They had a small shop outlet in the factory, that was open to the public, where they sold seconds, or items with defects.

A gorgeous Burrbery raincoat, was yours for £100, and their polo styled sweat shirts, a £5 each.

I still have four of them, one is still in its plastic wrapping, and i cannot see anything wrong with it.

Why Burrbery have decided to destroy clothing rather than sell it at a reduced cost, makes little sense, when they have reduced their clothing in the past.

Total snobbery, as they could easily have removed all the labelling, and still made money on the items.

Ive worn the raincoat a few times, and recently on a visit to their Cheshire Oaks outlet, the polo shirts are £79.

It was the only place in the entire South Wales Valleys, where Japanese and German tourists almost outnumbered the locals.

A real sad day when the factory closed.
« Last Edit: 11:57:58, 12/09/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
I still have four of them, one is still in its plastic wrapping, and i cannot see anything wrong with it.

Is there anything you don't have in a plastic wrapping  :-\
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
The Brasher shoes are for sale in Bettws Y Coed, for £69, quite a saving over the £120.
Really nice looking things as well, and for £69, they represented good value.

Regarding bits and pieces in unopened plastic wrapping.

My mother is moving house next month, and helping her pack years of acquired loot, ive found two Berghaus fleece jackets, that i forgot i had purchased in Crickhowell back in 1988.

Still have the receipt for one of them, £43 was the going rate back then.

Ive also discovered a pair of Merrell canvas boots, i remember buying in Taunton Leisure in Swansea back in 1991.

I had not forgotten about them, but i had searched high and low for them for years, with little luck.

They were in a top cupboard in a bedroom, behind some clothing.

No damp or mildew, and i am quite exited in wearing those, as they were a bit of a bargain, at £20.

The perfect Carneddau traverse boot.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
ive found two Berghaus fleece jackets, that i forgot i had purchased in Crickhowell back in 1988.

Still have the receipt for one of them, £43 was the going rate back then.

Why am I not surprised  :)
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy