Author Topic: Highland midge  (Read 2899 times)

Uncle Grumpy

• Veteran Member
Highland midge
« on: 17:10:29, 09/07/08 »
I've jumped ship as the Bracken thread in General disussion was getting full of pictures of attractive young ladies and Australian cricketers.

Highland midge. What a little [censored]. As a grizzled old man of the mountains you could camp out in West Scotland pre June and post August and be largly untroubled by 'em, but now you can get munched at almost anytime of year.
I fear the absence of proper hard penetrating day/night frosts lasting weeks at a time  has given them opportunity to have multiple breeding cycles per year. Oh no.

I live in Pennine West Yorks and the biting midge has become firmly established after years of damp squib winters.

The best way of keeping them away for about 40 minutes is by burning your car, and another 10 minutes by burning your tent.

Skinny Walker

Re: Highland midge
« Reply #1 on: 11:20:00, 10/07/08 »
Midge Ure?
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:16:56, 10/07/08 »
The best way of keeping them away for about 40 minutes is by burning your car, and another 10 minutes by burning your tent.

Actually, the best place to avoid midgies is a lounge bar with all the doors closed...
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

muymalestado

« Reply #3 on: 14:57:40, 10/07/08 »
Actually, the best place to avoid midgies is a lounge bar with all the doors closed...

And when is it that Mike hasn't had the last word?   ;D
I think this next one will be the top ...

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:21:55, 10/07/08 »
quote author=muymalestado link=topic=1542.msg9078#msg9078 date=1215698260]
And when is it that Mike hasn't had the last word?   ;D
[/quote]

Ooer, shall I get me coat?

Uncle Grumpy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:47:43, 11/07/08 »
Hah hah, we 'av a right laugh on Walker's Forum eh?

What about those insect vacuum cleaners you can get? I have my doubts. Pub it is then?

Walking Englishman

« Reply #6 on: 17:04:30, 10/09/08 »
Any ideas on intoducing foreign predators now its all warmed up - is there a midge eating ladybird for example, or a praying midge mantis?
I'm a walker on the edge of my perception. We're all travellers at the edge of our perceptions.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:16:08, 10/09/08 »
There's a scientist up Teesdale who traps jars full of the little beggars every night and sends them off for analysis for blue tongue....  I mean he has, literally thgousands and thousands in little boxes, plus some moths, gnats and maybe the odd bee....

Its orrible...

Skinny Walker

« Reply #8 on: 08:41:51, 11/09/08 »
Now all we need are a few million other scientists boxing up midges and the problem may go away!! O0
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy