Author Topic: New Lanark  (Read 6806 times)

valley

New Lanark
« on: 22:43:50, 18/09/08 »
We are going to New lanark on sat. Has anyone been there.

the coot

Re: New Lanark
« Reply #1 on: 08:02:21, 19/09/08 »
Yep, a few years ago now but it was pretty interesting and we did a walk up the river.

karen_the_artist

« Reply #2 on: 14:31:16, 26/09/08 »
Just noticed the date of your post - so I'm guessing you have now been.... did you enjoy it?

We went there last year - nice walk to the Falls of Clyde.  O0

Here's a couple of photos I took when I went.

Karen - lurking somewhere in Perthshire, Scotland

valley

« Reply #3 on: 15:34:54, 28/09/08 »
Karen.
We all enjoyed the Dog walk and here some pictures.

We all off to Hamilton on the 4th of Oct Chatlerhault country park Hamilton.

Would love if you have any suggestions for my dog walks

Valley

Valley

« Last Edit: 15:37:54, 28/09/08 by valley »

karen_the_artist

« Reply #4 on: 10:07:20, 29/09/08 »
Nice photos - the river looks a lot higher than when I saw it!

Would love if you have any suggestions for my dog walks

What area are you based?

valley

« Reply #5 on: 20:30:25, 30/09/08 »
Nice photos - the river looks a lot higher than when I saw it!

What area are you based?
Hi Karen, We live in a town called Cumbernauld this is between Glasgow and Falkirk.
Valley

karen_the_artist

« Reply #6 on: 10:19:31, 01/10/08 »
I drove past Cumbernauld on Sunday on my way to the huge Go Outdoors store in Coatbridge.

Have you done the hill walk Cairn Table? That's on the A70 (the Douglas road) by Muirkirk.  We did it a couple of years ago and you get good views, we did even though it wasn't the best visibility that day.

I have to ask, what breed of dog do you have?  My labrador is so spoilt with the walks he goes on  ;D

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:51:22, 01/10/08 »
I'd be quite interested in any info you've got about Cairn Table and the hills around it - I'm planning a little soiree over there next spring - sort of Muirkirk-Wanlockhead-Sanquhar.... (whilst we're waiting for valley to tell you about the dog!)

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

karen_the_artist

« Reply #8 on: 13:48:08, 01/10/08 »
On the Cairn Table walk we never saw anyone on the outward part, as most people were going up and down the same route (via the Steele).

This is the route, although we did it the reverse to what they show:
http://walking.visitscotland.com/walks/southscotland/cairn-table-walk

We have done the Lower Hills - East Mount Lowther, Lowther Hill and Green Lowther. A nice walk, despite all the radar stations on the summits of LH and GL.

There is a walk we want to do from Wanlockhead that's in the Pocket Mountain book we have for the area, and takes in more of the hills.  Haven't done much else in the area.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:39:30, 01/10/08 »
Thanks for that, Karen - it looks reasonably straightforward.... and quite interesting.  I'm hoping to do a 4 day backpacking walk around there in April as a pre-TGO challenge thing. All I have to do now is get accepted on the Challenge - and get the bus to Muirkirk.....

valley

« Reply #10 on: 21:26:17, 01/10/08 »
I drove past Cumbernauld on Sunday on my way to the huge Go Outdoors store in Coatbridge.

Have you done the hill walk Cairn Table? That's on the A70 (the Douglas road) by Muirkirk.  We did it a couple of years ago and you get good views, we did even though it wasn't the best visibility that day.

I have to ask, what breed of dog do you have?  My labrador is so spoilt with the walks he goes on  ;D

I have two dogs Northern Inuit & Chinese Crested

My dogs love there walks. The wee one can keep up with the big one no problems. It's us trying to keep up with them.
Valley

karen_the_artist

« Reply #11 on: 21:29:14, 01/10/08 »
It's us trying to keep up with them.

I know that feeling !

valley

« Reply #12 on: 21:45:57, 01/10/08 »
On the Cairn Table walk we never saw anyone on the outward part, as most people were going up and down the same route (via the Steele).

This is the route, although we did it the reverse to what they show:
http://walking.visitscotland.com/walks/southscotland/cairn-table-walk [nofollow]

We have done the Lower Hills - East Mount Lowther, Lowther Hill and Green Lowther. A nice walk, despite all the radar stations on the summits of LH and GL.

There is a walk we want to do from Wanlockhead that's in the Pocket Mountain book we have for the area, and takes in more of the hills.  Haven't done much else in the area.

Was looking at Wanlockhead on the net. I think i will do this one. I dont  know if i said before that i have a dog walking forum, and we all get together with our dogs for walks. i dont take any more than 10 dogs on a walk.Our walks are social walks, though they can be several hours long. Owners are responsible for their own dogs behaviour, and we recommend that some form of obedience training is undertaken to ensure your dog is under control. We try not to go where sheep are ect.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:53:15, 01/10/08 »
This is superdawg aka bruno - he's a collie/greyhound/spaniel/poodle/dingo/wolf/mongrel/mongrel cross.  He has a tendancy towards rude good health and his hobby is the procurement of calories in as wide a variety of forms as possible - sometimes pre-enjoyed by other animals, unfortunately...

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:05:39, 01/10/08 »
Incidentally - there were quite a lot of sheep around Wanlockhead when I went there recently. The village itself even has a few (no place to grow flowers!) - but there were a lot of village dogs - one of whom was asleep in the middle of the road - I had to stop the car and get out and wake it up so I could drive past.  So the village seems quite doggy friendly.
I'm not sure how the local shepherds would react to a pack, though!  (If they were under control, I expect it would be OK...)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy