Author Topic: New 'quality' fleece or not bother?  (Read 5266 times)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Re: New 'quality' fleece or not bother?
« Reply #15 on: 08:43:01, 04/01/19 »

Now I did consider that. I always think theres too much material/insulation under arm on most tops. You really don't need anything clogging up your pits. Can't say I've never longed for warmer arms.

Would a warm down gilet really be so much lighter than a fleece one though?

Yes it would. Much warmer and much less restrictive than the amount of fleece you need to stay warm around camp.

Down/padding is a much better, lighter and more compressible insulator.

That's why all arctic and other cold weather trekkers and mountaineers use them.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:27:02, 04/01/19 »
Another point in favour of a down jacket is that its shell is likely to stop any light breeze going through it, unlike fleece.

A couple of people have suggested synthetic as opposed to down. I've had one, a Snugpak Sleeka, which was excellent: very warm, windproof, no worries about it getting damp, but quite heavy when compared to a down one.

The initial post and link to the HH pile fleece reminds me of the types that were common in the 70s - which seemed to be much thicker than the present fleece materials.
Seem to think they were made by North Cape or Javelin (or maybe both companies produced similar). Presumably, despite the older ones looking fluffier the modern materials give better performance?

North Cape is correct, I still have my old one from the late 80s. Stiff, restrictive, heavy and very bulky, it was warm on top of other layers but never felt "cosy". I now use it for cold-weather garden jobs, car washing, etc.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 09:30:40, 04/01/19 »
Would a warm down gilet really be so much lighter than a fleece one though?

You would get significantly more warmth per gram from down than fleece.

If you chose the size carefully, you could probably wear the gilet over a fleece, and finish off with your waterproof shell.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 09:53:48, 04/01/19 »
If you chose the size carefully, you could probably wear the gilet over a fleece, and finish off with your waterproof shell.

A tip from experience: When choosing a jacket or gilet make sure you try it on over everything you might wear underneath it. I ended up buying a down jacket two sizes bigger than I thought I was going to need. Fortunately the seller was very good about two returns.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 11:14:38, 04/01/19 »
Sound advice, fernman

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 11:20:17, 04/01/19 »
You can pick up an ethically sourced down jacket from Decathlon for £50

If you wanted to, you could make it hydrophobic using Nikwax's downproof. I've done it with a sleeping bag and it did a pretty good job.

Or a synthetic jacket can be washing in Nikwax for extra resistance

I picked up a Paramo gillet for £60 on eBay - new.

Ronin83

« Reply #21 on: 11:28:25, 04/01/19 »
Thanks for the advice guys.

I'd try to go with synthetic down, not real, but like mentioned, it's usually heavier and less compactible?

I'd probs were it underneath a fleece I've already got if needed to reduce bulk.

I'll point out though, im guessing about warmth whilst hiking in -5 to -10. It may come to having to use this new layer for more than just camp. I hope not and don't think so tho. If it goes in the bag on the horse I won't have access to it until the end of the day anyway.

If I go for the synth down gilet option, any recommendations?

What about a fleece gilet?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 11:40:17, 04/01/19 »
I'd probs were it underneath a fleece I've already got if needed to reduce bulk.

Wear it over the top of the fleece, Ronin. Size accordingly.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 11:42:14, 04/01/19 »
You wouldn't put it under a fleece. You want to keep it lofted so under your shell or on top of everything.

A synthetic jacket is heavier and less compressible but still way better than fleece, and a perfectly valid choice.

Ronin83

« Reply #24 on: 11:50:33, 04/01/19 »
Ok that makes sense, on top

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 13:43:00, 04/01/19 »
I spent a lot of time in Peru and Bolivia in the late eighties and early nineties, it's a fantastic place. On the Altiplano there's little cloud cover so nothing to hold the heat in. By day it can be extremely hot although it's always windy and the wind can be very cold. Trekking trousers and a base layer and fleece with a wind proof top are generally what you'll need. Plus of course a sun hat and a warm hat and gloves.
As soon as the sun goes down it goes breath takingly bone chillingly cold, the difference between night and day is mind blowing. Your fibre pile jacket is no warmer than a medium fleece and it's not at all windproof. Really you'll want that and a Duvet type jacket either down or synthetic. If you don't want to spend the money go on fleebay or they often come up for sale on UKC, you can off load it there after you come back.
Waterproof clothing isn't so important except on the coast Lima is always damp, cold and miserable, you'll be using your cag as a windproof a lot of the time.
Never trust the water, ice cream, ice in drinks and salads washed under the tap are especially bad. Conversely, junk food from street venders when sizzlingly hot is usually safe. Home made chocolate often sold by Camposini on the streets is also very dodgy.           

Ronin83

« Reply #26 on: 16:23:00, 04/01/19 »
I spent a lot of time in Peru and Bolivia in the late eighties and early nineties, it's a fantastic place. On the Altiplano there's little cloud cover so nothing to hold the heat in. By day it can be extremely hot although it's always windy and the wind can be very cold. Trekking trousers and a base layer and fleece with a wind proof top are generally what you'll need. Plus of course a sun hat and a warm hat and gloves.
As soon as the sun goes down it goes breath takingly bone chillingly cold, the difference between night and day is mind blowing. Your fibre pile jacket is no warmer than a medium fleece and it's not at all windproof. Really you'll want that and a Duvet type jacket either down or synthetic. If you don't want to spend the money go on fleebay or they often come up for sale on UKC, you can off load it there after you come back.
Waterproof clothing isn't so important except on the coast Lima is always damp, cold and miserable, you'll be using your cag as a windproof a lot of the time.
Never trust the water, ice cream, ice in drinks and salads washed under the tap are especially bad. Conversely, junk food from street venders when sizzlingly hot is usually safe. Home made chocolate often sold by Camposini on the streets is also very dodgy.         

Thanks for the advice.
On the salkantay, the highest point is the pass at 4500m. That's where it'll be coldest. Many people have experienced rain on this trek so even in April it's very possible. My raincoat will be my outer windproof shell. It is highly advised everywhere to bring waterproofs.

The trek does then descend into jungle environment and hot, humid conditions.

As I said I do run hot and my back sweats a lot when on the move, but I feel the cold all the more when I've rested. Thats why I was a avoiding down jacket material too, wouldn't be great against my sweaty back

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 17:32:12, 04/01/19 »

As I said I do run hot and my back sweats a lot when on the move, but I feel the cold all the more when I've rested.

That's just the point, you'll be stopping just as it gets dark, just as the temperature drops like a stone. That's when you need to pile everything on, put your fleece/pile top on first so you're duvet jacket isn't against your skin. When you're in you're sleeping bag you can also lay your jacket over your shoulders, just hope you don't need to go in the night.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 17:53:41, 04/01/19 »

Twice I've been caught out with "foreign" climates.  Once in New York State on a boiling hot day in July - me and a pal in shorts and t-shirts decided to go visit a wolf sanctuary up in the mountains (guided tour).  [censored] freezing with snow on the reserve in the mountains.  Luckily the tour guides were used to this happening and loaned us both the most stinkyest, horriblest, ill-fitting jackets they had in "lost property".

The second time was a 2 day trip to the Sahara desert.  Typically bakingly hot and desert-like during the day.  Come night time the temperature plummeted to below freezing.  Guess who wasn't expecting that from a "desert"?  Aye, me.  We were even told to pack warm clothes for the evening ... so I took a fleece that I'd flown in!  Woefully inadequate, even indoors.

Even in this country, camping - sitting in my tent on a night, it's cold and I wear a padded jacket (synthetic as I too don't "do" down for ethical reasons).

So.... If a donkey is carrying your gear to each stopping for the evening point then get an insulated jacket for the evening that can go in your camp pack.  That way you've got something warm and dry (not sweat wicked) to sit around in.

On the move, if layers work for you then stick with that.

Anyhow, that's my two-penneth's worth  :)

mow1701

« Reply #29 on: 19:38:32, 04/01/19 »
Fleeces are warm but as soon as there is a wind I feel the cold unless it is a wind bloc fleece. Also fleeces are very bulky.  I have a rab synthetic jacket(generator)made with primaloft with a shower proof shell. It keeps me warm when damp, is less bulky than a fleece and weigh less than a fleece. I think they do a newer version with a different name or montane prism jacket. Used as part of layering system in all seasons.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy