Author Topic: The perfect map case!  (Read 974 times)

G3or63

The perfect map case!
« on: 10:35:16, 10/09/19 »

A number of years ago I was on holiday in Scotland and managed to lose my map case. Now with most bits of gear it would be as easy as having a grumble about it and buying a replacement.

However replacing this map case seems to be a near impossible task! Yes, buying a map case is easy enough, but finding one that actually does a good job seems to be exceedingly difficult.

It seems logical to me that a map case for walking should fulfil a number of criteria, not necessarily essential, but not what I would consider over expectant of those folk who design such things.
My long lost beloved seemed to tick all the boxes: 
- Fits a reasonably large area of unfolded OS map (2 high, 4-5 wide) without having to add extra folds
- Doesn't obscure large areas of the map with border fabric or logos 
- Remains reasonably dry inside 
- Folds up and stays folded! 
- Is flexible enough to store in a backpack without a fight 
- And a final nice to have, a place to attach or hold a compass

Am I being overly fussy? Does anyone know of any brands that sell such a thing? Or did I manage to lose the only one in existence?

Unfortunately I can't remember the brand of the one I lost. I found it in a little shop in Yorkshire about 10 years ago.  
« Last Edit: 10:46:17, 10/09/19 by G3or63 »

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: The perfect map case!
« Reply #1 on: 10:49:17, 10/09/19 »
Over many years for us, map case = Ortlieb, every time. Superb waterproofness, very flexible. I roll it up to a thin cylinder for stuffing into the big external pocket on my packs.
I have the A4 size to hold map printouts perfectly.
Not sure about attaching a compass, you could use the supplied cord and holes.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:50:47, 10/09/19 »
Horrid things. I binned map cases years ago. Cumbersome and flap about in the wind.  I print my map off on A4 sheets at 1:12500, double sided. I slip them in cheap plastic wallets, fold them in 4 and slip them into a trouser pocket. The actual map, if I think I might need it, goes in my pack and, to be honest, has never ever come out.
The advantages are you can, print a route on the map and annotate it as much as you like. By enlarging the scale they are easier to read and you can keep track of your location with your  thumb to save finding your place on tricky sections.  Meanwhile your main map stays pristine, prolonging its life.
When you are finished, you can file the printouts either for later or as a souvenir.  Alternatively, drop them in the recycling.
Solvitur Ambulando

motorlaunch

« Reply #3 on: 10:51:33, 10/09/19 »
Another vote for Ortlieb. They come in A3, A4, A5 and A6 sizes.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:32:43, 10/09/19 »
What are map cases?  ;D

G3or63

« Reply #5 on: 11:55:54, 10/09/19 »
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check out the Ortlieb offerings! If all else fails I'll make one myself!!

Horrid things. I binned map cases years ago. Cumbersome and flap about in the wind.  I print my map off on A4 sheets at 1:12500, double sided. I slip them in cheap plastic wallets, fold them in 4 and slip them into a trouser pocket. The actual map, if I think I might need it, goes in my pack and, to be honest, has never ever come out.
The advantages are you can, print a route on the map and annotate it as much as you like. By enlarging the scale they are easier to read and you can keep track of your location with your  thumb to save finding your place on tricky sections.  Meanwhile your main map stays pristine, prolonging its life.
When you are finished, you can file the printouts either for later or as a souvenir.  Alternatively, drop them in the recycling.

I can understand the aversion, however I am prone to taking regular diversions en route, sometimes planned... mostly not so planned! So I like to have the extra coverage of a proper map. I also enjoy having a look at it while sat in the half way pub... I know I'm a bit odd!!

What are map cases?  ;D
They're these magical things for storing a Local Positioning System (LPS) while out and about. LPS's are amazing things, similar to GPS but don't require charging or signals from far distant satellites and don't suddenly decide you're in the alps rather than the Pennines!  :D

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:37:45, 10/09/19 »

Exactly my regime
It's all uphill from here.

mow1701

« Reply #7 on: 12:42:03, 10/09/19 »
Another vote for Ortlieb Mapcases

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:46:20, 10/09/19 »
I can understand the aversion, however I am prone to taking regular diversions en route, sometimes planned... mostly not so planned! So I like to have the extra coverage of a proper map. I also enjoy having a look at it while sat in the half way pub... I know I'm a bit odd!!

They're these magical things for storing a Local Positioning System (LPS) while out and about. LPS's are amazing things, similar to GPS but don't require charging or signals from far distant satellites and don't suddenly decide you're in the alps rather than the Pennines!  :D
You left out the best bit - struggling to get it out of the case and refolding it in a decent blow.  Even more fun if it is wet too - really makes it stick as you try to get it back in.
You are right about gps inaccuracy though.  Sometimes mine can be as much as 12 feet out of position!  Why only the other day it said I was on one side of the road when I was on the other - shameful!  ;D
Solvitur Ambulando

G3or63

« Reply #9 on: 13:30:34, 10/09/19 »
You left out the best bit - struggling to get it out of the case and refolding it in a decent blow.  Even more fun if it is wet too - really makes it stick as you try to get it back in.
You are right about gps inaccuracy though.  Sometimes mine can be as much as 12 feet out of position!  Why only the other day it said I was on one side of the road when I was on the other - shameful!  ;D

Well if anyone made a decent size case you wouldn't need to take it out and refold it! Zing!

I know they're pretty good these days, just can't pass by an opportunity for a bit of good old fashioned facetiousness  ;D 

I do find a map much more satisfying than a screen though. Especially when planning a trip, nothing quite as enjoyable as filling the living room floor in OS maps and looking at all the places you can get lost!

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:37:27, 10/09/19 »
I use a Silva map case when I feel the need, I don't think there's much in it really - they're all a bit of a hindrance.

For what it's worth, I don't think it was very expensive, shows a decent sized area, fairly supple, has loops to tie the compass onto and has never let me down despite my habit of taking a raincloud with me ::) I also like the slightly rubbery clear plastic, it stops the compass slipping about even when it's wet.... most of the time.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:40:55, 10/09/19 »
I quite agree - the living room floor is the best place for a paper map.

I think a decent size case you wouldn't need to take the map out to refold is called a laminated map.  Bazinga!
Solvitur Ambulando

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:35:52, 10/09/19 »
As much as I love paper maps, a love I first found at school, where I could break bounds in my head, if not in body. The printer has been my saviour, Ninethace has said much that is my feelings about the 'map case'.
The weakness of the paper map and the living room floor, was bought home to me by a challenge made in the bar of the Greyhound Inn, Llangunllo by a group of locals. They told me of a waterfall, the way known only to local children bought up in the village and a hangout favoured in hot weather. They bet me I could not find it, and even if I could, I would not be able to get to it.
If it was as significant as they described, I felt sure that it would be on an OS map. I did find it, though I never collected on the bet, because the pub closed it's doors on the death of its very old owner and did not re-open for 10 years.

That waterfall was more difficult to find, than I anticipated. It is on the join of 3 paper maps, and in the days before I had access to seamless mapping, I only cracked the riddle of it by joining scans together of the corners of 3 maps.

It was this experience that solved a question in my mind of a serious flaw in written walk guides. The pre-war guide books tended to be written by local people, many of the new publications are written by visitors to a locality and they do not have the ability to walk off the edge of an OS sheet.

The find of that waterfall was a great experience, I shared some insight with locals, watched Peregrine Falcons and learnt of a 10 year battle with egg snatchers, more successfully protected by the locals than that reputed bird lobby. I now enjoy returning there, as the Greyhound has re-opened.
Perhaps there is a bit more to map cases than meets the eye  ;D or boom boom as the fox said to the puppeteer.
As a PS. Locals told me of another waterfall, now one of those abandoned playgrounds of children long grown, not far from Dyliffe, my experience made me check it out, map and local knowledge, a very rewarding combination.

Map and local knowledge, a very rewarding combination and perhaps the perfect map case.
« Last Edit: 14:39:35, 10/09/19 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy